NVT Formerly EGOBFXR6 Legacy Donating Member 1,111 Member For: 18y 7m 25d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 17/01/13 10:55 AM Posted 17/01/13 10:55 AM (edited) Hey Ant,Well I think people are starting to move away from the BMI as a stand-alone measure as it's outdated and can be seriously misleading...There are much better indicators of fitness out there... Maybe it's just the most convenient means of gathering some data on you. I wouldn't be impressed if I were you though...Cheers,Dan Edited 17/01/13 11:05 AM by NVT
Never had any say Panda I <3 Floods Legacy Donating Member 11,198 Member For: 15y 1m 29d Gender: Male Location: South West QLD Posted 17/01/13 10:57 AM Posted 17/01/13 10:57 AM You had a crappy doctor mate..My wife and all the doctors she worked with always measure people's BMI but its purely used as a guide.. Example: me..6'4".. BMI 27.1.. Technically overweight.. Or my wife: 5'7".. BMI 14.2.. Technically underweight. Nothing wrong with either of us. Both are perfectly healthy.If a doctor told you that you're obese based on BMI alone I'd change doctors.. Because they should be looking at your build first.. And most doctors do..The only doctor I've ever met that only cared about BMI.. Not build or body fat % was the dude doing the medical a for Air Force entry..
Panda Eyes flame magnet Legacy Donating Member 5,674 Member For: 18y 4m 13d Gender: Male Location: adelaide hills- 'race air' central Posted 17/01/13 12:03 PM Posted 17/01/13 12:03 PM how do you work out what calorie intake you need each day?
STIFLR Legacy Donating Member 572 Member For: 17y 9m 21d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 17/01/13 12:31 PM Posted 17/01/13 12:31 PM Being 100% frank with you all, and cutting right past the bullsh*t, there's only 2 types of people to listen to. 1) Those who have studied in the area and have the knowledge to pass on 'scientifically proven' facts and information. OR 2) Those who have done it. Take one look at someones physique and you'll know pretty damn fast if they know what they're talking about...I agree and disagree with you there mate. But you cant always listen to the ones that have been educated in the area. How many wanna be pt's are out there these days that only rely on the generic statements that their text book says, instead of treating each client differently?And I believe I was doing it. Im not saying I know it all, far from it infact, but the info that im giving on here is from my experiences that I went through while training for a bodybuilding competition.As Pazzo said, my trainer is one of the best out there and has been training himself and other bodybuilders, professional sportsman and professional teams in australia and overseas for 20+ years. So, also some of the info im giving out is from what I have learnt over past 2 years that I have been training with him.As for the skeptics out there about my diet, my trainer in all his years has never known anyone to be able to take in the amount of calories I could and needed to and stay lean at the same time. So you could say im somewhat of a freak. This is not such a good thing however, sure I can put on size quickly but I lose it twice as quick when I dont train or keep up with my calorie intake. I havent trained since October and im probably sitting around 90-92kgs. 1
NVT Formerly EGOBFXR6 Legacy Donating Member 1,111 Member For: 18y 7m 25d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 17/01/13 02:06 PM Posted 17/01/13 02:06 PM (edited) Hey Stiflr,I guess I didn't phrase that as well as I could have... I know exactly what you mean. These 3 month PT courses do produce PT's with an entry level qualification that think they know everything. My bad mate; I do understand what you mean.I've done the PT courses and the University study and there really is a world of difference. I could bore you for hours with scientifically proven training methods, case studies, and clinical trial results. Still doesn't mean anyone who knows this is as good as another trainer, but results are results...I was trying to say that you need to deal with those who have the practical knowledge as well as the 'booksmart' training needed to offer you both accurate and comprehensive advice. That's the best way to reach your goals and to acheive them safely.Even those with a good physique can not end up being as 'amazing' as we think they are. There can be significant form issues, negative habits, and just a lack of common sense that can cause catastrophic injury to newcomers or those with past injuries/health conditions.So really, what I should have said is pick who you listen to carefully and take everything with a grain of salt. Use you common sense and seek a second opinion...And STIFLR, you don't need to defend yourself buddy. Everyone is different...Hater's gon hate Edited 17/01/13 02:07 PM by NVT 1
adie Not pregnant Legacy Donating Member 2,238 Member For: 14y 9m 22d Gender: Female Location: Melbourne Posted 17/01/13 11:47 PM Posted 17/01/13 11:47 PM I had a doctor tell me I was overweight due to my bmi, so I changed doctors. It's too simplistic a measure to judge by. There is no way I'm overweight.
AusAnt Turbo Noob Legacy Donating Member 331 Member For: 14y 6d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 18/01/13 12:25 AM Posted 18/01/13 12:25 AM We teach yr 11/12 students about body fat % in relation to sport and fitness and also Somatotyping. When I was a lot larger, students used to remember the Endomorph by calling it 'Kendomorph' (that is me). Definitely gotta have a sense of humor as a teacher..lol. Ant
Pazzo Legacy Donating Member 11,132 Member For: 15y 11m 8d Gender: Male Posted 18/01/13 01:55 AM Posted 18/01/13 01:55 AM <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="adie" data-cid="1351028" data-time="1358466473"><p>I had a doctor tell me I was overweight due to my bmi, so I changed doctors. It's too simplistic a measure to judge by. <br /><br />There is no way I'm overweight.</p></blockquote>No you are not... I know! 1
MADF6 Member 399 Member For: 18y 8m 6d Posted 18/01/13 10:56 AM Posted 18/01/13 10:56 AM The BMI was never designed for athletes, children or the elderly. If any GP is basing someone doing weights purely on it you should find a second doctor.
Panda Eyes flame magnet Legacy Donating Member 5,674 Member For: 18y 4m 13d Gender: Male Location: adelaide hills- 'race air' central Posted 18/01/13 11:27 AM Posted 18/01/13 11:27 AM (edited) well I have been working fairly hard (I think) and have increased the weight I can lift.I have gone from lifting 37kg- sets= 20,12,7,7,8,7,8,7 then 2 days later =20,12,12,11,11,9,9,6 (last 3 sets+ 2 drops)to 42kg- sets= 15,9,9,9,6,5 (last 2 sets+ 2 drops) tonight did 46kg- sets= 12,9,8,7,7,6,4 (last 2 sets +1 drop)feel like I am getting stronger quite quickly, my boobies are getting smaller and tighter, my mood is generally better (I am on antidepressants), my tummy is starting to shrink, im hornier (no joke!) instead of getting into bed and just wanting to sleep (not trying to be crass, just an honest appraisal of my changes).im enjoying the healthier food, having a decent breakfast most days and looking forward to my next workout.I do the benches, then next day do super sets- as much as I can- bicep curls with 22kg, then dumbells with 10kg each side straight up from standing position (dont know what these are called), then 5kg each side straight out sideways then small break (30 secs) then start again. that gets my heart going and the sweat pouring.any other suggestions please? Edited 18/01/13 11:28 AM by Panda Eyes
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now