Puffwagon

Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Catch can arrived today.

I'm gonna have to brush up on my welding skills so I do a good job with the rocker cover and intake pipe. I've got some scrap aluminium I can practice on so it shouldn't take long to get dialled in again.

aRFzDVW.jpg

As long as it works I'll be happy. I think it'll be ok.

Currently the pcv system is comprised of the stock rear vent/one way valve into the intake manifold, and the middle vent was just a hose going to the turbo intake pipe. Very much less than ideal for a car running more boost then standard.

When I fixed the cam timing the middle hose refused to stay on, so this kit arrived just in time!

Here is another attempt at a 0 to 100 pull. It's getting kinda hard to film and drive so I'll look into some sort of stand to hold the camera.

I did try some launch control and building more boost by foot braking it but it just smoked the tyres with those attempts.

That clip was a split second foot brake attempt after half a dozen others lol.

Is what it is though, the poor car :launch:

haha nice work :) only the tamest of all launches haha I wasn't talking about the launch, though... seemed a tad doughy on the shift and didn't pick up boost quickly again suggesting it wasn't making the smoothest power at hte top of first and mid-top of 2nd.

Yeah could be something going on there. It was after more than half a dozen launch to 100 attempts so everything had warmed up a lot.

I'll have to do a bunch of proper logging and tuning as I haven't done any, other than to ascertain the cams are moving as they should be and to quickly add some timing to suit E85 and more boost.

I've noticed yesterday that it seemed it was running out of pump up top but it could also be a blocked fuel filter. The instant fuel seemed to have an issue today too for some reason. The wife and I checked the afr last night and it was fine then, but I wasn't watching today. Something to check tomorrow.

I also had only tuned the trans for the 98 tune so it more than likely needs more shift pressure.

Flamin non stop stuff to do when you change stuff all the time :)

Edited by Puffwagon

yeah, could just be shift pressure etc that's required in a ZF tune for E85 over 98 for that section of the video...

heat soak could explain the rest, too..

how was the bum-dyno? felt faster?

Hard to tell cos I've driven it hard for a total of about 1km. The rest has been warming it up by driving around town.

It felt quicker yesterday but you know how you get used to the power pretty quickly.

I think it's likely no different.

The instant fuel has got me wondering cos it's usually 99.9 but wasn't today. I dunno if it was yesterday or not but I'm definately going to have a look at it. Fine on the wb gauge last night but sh*t can go pear shaped quickly with fuel issues, leaks or blockages etc.

I give it third time , blown up BA BF(1), blown up territory, No1 (2) and how long for blown up territory No2 (3). I give it till the end of july. Home tuning with little knowledge is VERY dangerous. Poor man pays twice. three times , 10 times, They never really, never really learn 

14 minutes ago, finnas said:

well it already seems like a better tune than your XFT pile of sh*t.

nobody wants to hear your bullsh*t anymore

15 1/2 years of tuning at XFT = 2 fractured  balancers , I lossened flywheel (possibly nizpro) and a set of coils 

that's over 3 cars. 

Hey something must be done correct.

Blow ups are a combination of poor parts and poor tuning 

Tell me, why is Jim shopping around for engine and trans builds then? Did his car get impounded? I heard through the grapevine someone got hoonlawed in it😲

How much boost currently on E85 and what fuel pump or pump setup do you have? I sometimes wish I had that much traction, other times I enjoy the territory banging the limited in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

1 minute ago, Romulus said:

How much boost currently on E85 and what fuel pump or pump setup do you have? I sometimes wish I had that much traction, other times I enjoy the territory banging the limited in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

It's currently on track E85 which I guess is E85. Running a single Walbro 460 intank on the factory wiring with a modded pot, which I plan on upgrading to a battery feed W/relay soon.

It's on 20psi now with conservative timing, 8 degrees just on/before the hit up to 14 up top.

Will try more timing when I get to an actual dyno but safe enough for now.

Haha no traction with any decent launch. It just smokes the front tyres.

IMO the Walbro pump can't provide enough flow and/or pressure but only a pressure gauge and return flow test will confirm that. My G6ET ran out of pump on E85 around 460-470rwkw IIRC so had to upgrade to an external surge and twin pump setup. I'll check out what timing I ran in my setup for E85.

Great video, but it just doesn't appear that aggressive for the boost running and fuel type, It should be savage. My G6ET on E85 would torch the tyres rolling along in 4th gear @ 21psi boost running Bridgestone RE003 tyres. 

I do have a fp gauge but it's under the bonnet so the dyno room will let me check that. I have double checked several times within the past 24 hours that the vacuum line is attached so no issues there. It might be dropping under boost though?

Worth noting it does have a stock cat back so that is probably a restriction at this boost level.

I should turn it back to 16psi but meh. It's quick enough for now. It's a build in progress.

Theres no point running more than 10-15psi with the stock cat back, it’s absolutely choking the exhaust. I had a Manta twin 2.5” cat back system for the SY Turbo I sold only 3 weeks ago, would have been a perfect upgrade.

Until you change the cat back your pushing shyte up hill.

Yerp the virtual dyno stuff I did pretty much confirmed that in my opinion.

I have changed the dump, cat and some of the other twin pipe stuff so it's not stock there but it does need updating. It's not much really.

Wifey pants has pre-approved the workshop tools I need to make zorsty bits so I'll have a decent zorst eventually.

Whether I fool around with this tune or wait until the hot side is done, it'll be what it is, just me building and tuning my car.

Was looking through the camera files and thought this might be a better clip as it was manually shifted.

I should have shifted earlier but it's hard to film and drive.

At any rate it's just some car sh*t to watch :victory:

very nice that time aside from the big jolt/flair through 6,300 to 6,700 revs as it tried in vain to actually switch from 1st to 2nd haha it also seemed to drop the revs a bit lower into 2nd than the run further up this page, interestingly enough.

Yep it was spinning in first and I was really struggling to hold the camera and car straight. That's why the revs dropped further, cos it was wheel spinning when I shifted.