Puffwagon

Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Whatever you do you need as much Data as possible for anything you do

Start runs as low as you can, log well before and after, load the vehicle up in all aspects.

Get aftermarket Knock detection !  

kick arse and chew bubblegum ;) 

I've got tuner nerd w/ dual sensors (installed) but haven't used it much. I will pull my finger out and do more checking tomorrow.

I reckon I can up the wgdc earlier before it falls over and then let it ramp down again.

Have got the go ahead from the finance minister to buy more workshop tools for exhaust fabricating so that'll happen soon enough.

Thanks for the support :happyfriends:

I'm thinking of doing something similar and hooking up the USB data acquisition board I've installed for logging the wideband on PCMTEC.

Have you got the knock detection hooked up for data logging?

I've already hooked up the dlp8 with the wideband but not the knock sensors.

That'll be tomorrow's job along with swapping plugs cos they arrived today.

I'm not sure that I'll get the tuner nerd box working properly with the logger but I'll give it a crack.

Today was a wash as I had my 3yo daughter home.

I'm down to half a tank now and I've got 40 litres of E85 here, so I'll top it up and give it a sprinkle of timing.

Yeah looks like you can log the DLP8 channels with PCMTEC, but also might be some maths to get it to output something useful. Would be worth it though so that if you hear something you can see exactly what was going on afterwards.

I still haven’t used my tuner need 😂. Being sitting on the desk for 8 months 😬

Question thou, would you expect to see any knock on e85? Will a car knock at all on ethanol?

Yeah it will - is more resistant to it though so you can increased the ignition timing values further before it starts to knock

Get a correct calibrated aftermarket knock detection kit and work it out on a Dyno ;) 

If I believed that was your genuine stand point on that statement then yeh it’s a candle steam boat 

So yerp didn't achieve a whole lot today. Did some tuning and compared in virtual dyno. Giant pita coming inside, chopping and adjusting data, then going back out to the car, driving then coming back inside, plugging and unplugging the laptop and wideband logger etc  :thumbdown:

Still running minimum boost but with some boost control to keep it as consistent as possible.

I can feel a very very slight surging on boost and it's not the boost control or anything tune related.

It got marginally worse once I added 40 litres of E85 to the third of a tank that was already 3/4 E85.

This leads me to think it's not lighting off properly and cos I cbf pulling the coil cover twice I didn't bother with plugs today.

I'll update when I get the coils in next week with the new plugs.

Gonna go and buy some beer now and let my brain relax from all the looking at data :hammerhead:

Well I pulled the trigger, so all going well will have coils, plugs and breather system ruled out for falling over causes.

I've just had a look through a log and it's showing both cams staying at -10 no matter where the rpm or load is.

The cam error is mostly less than 1 degree but occasionally a bit more, regardless of rpm and load.

Anyhow I've got another set of solenoids and phasers here so I'll see what happens when I swap them.

So to have both Phasers fail together is less likely but possible and would show a static angle as described.

Start with the solenoids first.

The cam angle should vary more than  -10 for sure.

Yep for sure. The solenoids are a pretty quick thing to do.

Only thing now is to get out there and start checking stuff.

Replacing both Phasers is a bit of work.

Ensure no oil flow restrictions to the phasers first. Inspect cam caps on top of each phasers for blockages. Obviously the OCV screens were clean.

Phasers can make noise when they are stuck too.

Good luck mate

Well as much as I didn't want to leave an update like this, here it is anyway.

Exhaust cam is toast, intake cam is fine.

Will be pulling the engine to assess any further damage.

ouch... not good news for the exhaust cam... hopefully the damage is limited to the exhaust cam, though.