Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

The head is slightly damaged on a few journals on the exhaust side too. The head will be coming off for repair or replace.

The head didn't lose much material but some of it would have gone through the oil pump.

For all of that frigging around I may as well pull the motor and check all of it.

• Sad 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yeah, definitely worth pulling the motor at this stage... make sure you take plenty of pics and post 'em up as we're always keen to see that sort of stuff, irrelevant of success/failures.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I need to check the run-out on the cam before I jump to any conclusions, but I have a theory.

One of the stock turbo territory cams was bent after the blow up and the shop straightened it for me.

Both cams were turning freely by hand before I assembled the head.

The exhaust side on the head is now showing heavy wear in the middle but none at the front and hardly any at the back. The intake side is still perfect.

I think that after a bunch of heat cycles the cam has bent itself again. Like I said, I'd have to check the run-out first.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

It doesn't seem to be that. There is more run-out on the intake cam than the exhaust.

So yerp, I can theorise about what went wrong but until I check there probably isn't a lot of point.

I'll update when I know more.

This is what happened to the cam though.

b09FwGy.jpg

Edited by Puffwagon
  • Sad 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Should have gone semi synthetic.
Jks

Seriously though, that sucks you have to pull the motor again. Hope it turns out to be a simple fix and no other damage.

• Member For: 19y 6m 5d

Puff it just looks like lobe damage there, bearing looks ok. Not saying you could leave the cam like that but you may just be able to swap out the cam. Some scoring on the journal’s wont be the end of the world, and caps will be ok to reuse.

This damage may not have been causing your issue.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

The lobes are perfect, that is the journal/pin that is damaged. I sprayed the cams with moto chain lube after I pulled them out to turn them in a good head to check the run-out and also keep them good from the elements for a bit. That's just muck you can see there on the lobes.

I'll check the size of the cam tunnel (if my checker goes that small) and see if it's still good. They are fairly scored though.

I do have more cams here to put in but they are na fg cams so not ideal.

I can't see it being oil starvation cos I've got billet gears, somewhat smoothed housing and ported relief holes with adjustable relief majiggy.

But...it did have an issue so I'll see what the bottom end and oil pump housing looks like.