Puffwagon

Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

The head is slightly damaged on a few journals on the exhaust side too. The head will be coming off for repair or replace.

The head didn't lose much material but some of it would have gone through the oil pump.

For all of that frigging around I may as well pull the motor and check all of it.

yeah, definitely worth pulling the motor at this stage... make sure you take plenty of pics and post 'em up as we're always keen to see that sort of stuff, irrelevant of success/failures.

I need to check the run-out on the cam before I jump to any conclusions, but I have a theory.

One of the stock turbo territory cams was bent after the blow up and the shop straightened it for me.

Both cams were turning freely by hand before I assembled the head.

The exhaust side on the head is now showing heavy wear in the middle but none at the front and hardly any at the back. The intake side is still perfect.

I think that after a bunch of heat cycles the cam has bent itself again. Like I said, I'd have to check the run-out first.

It doesn't seem to be that. There is more run-out on the intake cam than the exhaust.

So yerp, I can theorise about what went wrong but until I check there probably isn't a lot of point.

I'll update when I know more.

This is what happened to the cam though.

b09FwGy.jpg

Edited by Puffwagon

Should have gone semi synthetic.
Jks

Seriously though, that sucks you have to pull the motor again. Hope it turns out to be a simple fix and no other damage.

Puff it just looks like lobe damage there, bearing looks ok. Not saying you could leave the cam like that but you may just be able to swap out the cam. Some scoring on the journal’s wont be the end of the world, and caps will be ok to reuse.

This damage may not have been causing your issue.

The lobes are perfect, that is the journal/pin that is damaged. I sprayed the cams with moto chain lube after I pulled them out to turn them in a good head to check the run-out and also keep them good from the elements for a bit. That's just muck you can see there on the lobes.

I'll check the size of the cam tunnel (if my checker goes that small) and see if it's still good. They are fairly scored though.

I do have more cams here to put in but they are na fg cams so not ideal.

I can't see it being oil starvation cos I've got billet gears, somewhat smoothed housing and ported relief holes with adjustable relief majiggy.

But...it did have an issue so I'll see what the bottom end and oil pump housing looks like.

I had the same issue.

I linished the cam shaft bearing and re-installed it. Even ran the same cap, when I have a spare minute I’ll post a photo.

inspected it a couple hundred kms later and no problems. Oil pressure is fine, engine runs wells. 

A quick update just cos.

I haven't done anything with the car all week. I've had a foot problem and haven't been able to get around, except with extreme pain and limping.

Getting better now though and hopefully fully mobile by the end of the weekend.

I bought a few tools a while ago, namely an air compressor with a 30 metre hose reel, a little bitty teeny weeny tiny 3/8 air ratchet, 180 litre degreasing bath, a 3500kg floor jack, an engine brace, a set of impact sockets and an electric rattle gun.

With these additions to the tools I already have, I can get work done many times faster.

When the foots better, things should progress fairly quickly.

Anyhow enjoy your Friday everyone and happy days :)

I just removed the cam, had it linished and reinstalled it. Installed the same cap and all good.

I personally don't think engine out is required for a galled cam.

It's likely cause by debris left in the engine after assembly.

Galled cam bearings are not all that uncommon although not ideal of course.

Please don't pull your motor out for this.

img-6426.jpg

IMG-6463.jpg

IMG-6422.jpg

Added links to uploads as unsure if they worked etc.

Well if I just use my FG cams in it with the FG phasers then I'll know fairly quickly if the problem is fixed.

At the end of the day it doesn't take long to r&r cams so I can check them after a short amount of time.

Finally pulled my finger out and put it back together with the FG cams and phasers.

Just went for a quick drive and seemed ok. Feels faster than before but maybe that's what a couple of weeks driving a Honda van will do to ya. Also seems quieter once warmed up.

Haven't logged it yet to confirm the cam timing is moving but I'll get onto it shortly.

Also the head wasn't nearly as damaged as I first thought from a quick glance. The cam was more rooted than the head. Go figure.

17 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

Just went for a quick drive and seemed ok. Feels faster than before but maybe that's what a couple of weeks driving a Honda van will do to ya.

haha this... my car at 285rwkw seems super fast after driving the missus's Astra... compare your logs for real data?

bloody FG cams wearing... #motoroilproblems

Just went to the shops but didn't log yet.

It must be working properly now cos it's a night and day difference. I barely tagged the limiter a couple of times cos I wasn't expecting it to rev out that fast!

Will log during the week and hit the dyno next weekend, all going well.

Alrighty I'm getting somewhere now. Did some logging and the cam timing is working. It's also on straight E85 from the local track.

I put the data into virtual dyno with the same smoothing settings as before and it gave a very different result.

I added the boost to the graph for interest sake. It looks like I need to get in there and add a touch of duty but this is a start.

Also forgot to brake boost it so that's just rolling into it in 3rd.

0TXsDk6.jpg

Edited by Puffwagon

that looks more like it... doesn't seem to be falling over as much... but 16psi and 700nm is probably not where you're going to stop, eh ... :3gears:

Yeah more than likely will turn it up a bit. I'm a bit hesitant cos I don't wanna break the drive-line but I spose I'm a little way off that happening.

Yay I guess.

So I turned it up to 20psi and the graph picked up to 412kw at 5600 and 787nm at 4500.

Is that a decent gain for another 3.5 to 4 psi?

Granted it isn't a real dyno, I'm using it for comparison rather than actual real world numbers but I thought the overall number would be higher. Mebbe the zorst ain't having it? 

Anyhow I've had enough car stuff for one day, time for that afternoon Sunday sesh. :drinks:

Edited by Puffwagon