senna_T

• Member For: 15y 9m 11d

I've had a Kawasaki Balius sitting in storage for about seven years, and figured it was about time I got it back on the road again.

Why the fuss about a 250?  Instead of the usual boring single or twin-cylinder, this one's a high revving four-cylinder.  Redlines at 18,000rpm, and sounds like a Formula 1 engine.  

Kawasaki_Balius_05_27_4_2016.jpg

Heaps of rust in the fuel tank.  Bugger.

Kawasaki_Balius_38_28_4_2016.jpg

Did the usual Google searching to find a solution, and found that heaps of people have had success with electrolysis.  Ok, I'll give that a go - it's the cheapest option.

Kawasaki_Balius_04_4_5_2016.jpg

Nup, fail.  Can't get it to work consistently.  Got a little bit of rust out, but not much.

Kawasaki_Balius_01_9_5_2016.jpg

I'll figure it out sooner or later.  And yes, I actually have been looking for a ways of replacing the standard two-piston Tokico caliper with a four-piston Brembo one.

Kawasaki_Balius_14_2_5_2016.jpg

Build thread:  http://2fiftycc.com/index.php?threads/reminiscing-about-my-old-balius.8630/

Edited by PhilMeUp
  • Like 3

• Will do skids for food
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 5m 23d

I've previously tipped a hand full of nuts and bolts in a tank and then shook the sh*t out of it.

Your rust issue is a lot more severe though.

I also used a two part sealant that gets poured in and you just turn the tank over and over so it coats all the surfaces.

So far its still holding up....I think.

• Like 1

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 11m 23d

Thinking about getting into the bike game again

I've owned a gsx250f across and a gsx650

I miss the 650 a lot

Such a nice bike to ride through the twisted and torque for days

• Like 1

• Will do skids for food

Got my engine back, threw it back in the bike and will finish off the install today. 

Now I just need to make a final version of the battery/cdi box at the front and it's about ready to get the new wiring harness made.

OZHhhmU.jpg

I also collected this last night.

Hopefully with the new Link ECU and CDI in the bike next season, I can get the bike to perform more consistently and I can finish higher up the order next season.

1Zlcw2m.jpg

• Like 5

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 30d

On 15/05/2016 at 8:32 PM, Boganspeed said:

Your rust issue is a lot more severe though.

TANK RUST? far out I've never had so much trouble until I came across this R1 tank! bike had been sitting for a few years but still.

-started off using a kit where you clean the tank out, shake nuts and bolts around then put this sealant stuff in. fail after a week.

-took it to professional who welded it all up on the cheap. fail straight away, lucky tank wasnt full.

-took it back to professional who pressure tested it and found heaps of holes now it's all fixed.

the reason I say it was so much trouble is draining the tank takes ages.

your bike looks sick mate, something about a bike with no fairings on that gets me all revved up ;)

• Will do skids for food

I took the day off work Friday and spent it at the paint shop prepping everything for primer.

Today I just need to do the wheels and finish the new fairing and besides a couple of spots of knifing putty, it'll be all done.

A fair bit of work in all that but it was good therapy to just switch off and sand stuff down and try not to think about work.

Coincidentally I discovered rust in the K6 tank so I bought a sealing kit yesterday and will do the old nuts and bolts trick first and then seal it.

Tip 1. Use steel nuts and bolts, not stainless, so you can fish the pesky buggers out with a magnet.

VQqbu9X.jpg