Who Like`s Tools? (Merged Topic)

gassit

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 4m 1d

I found total tools to be really pricey. im a trade so anything Total tools got... bunnings always got it cheaper.

just get what you can afford. I have some sidchrome stuff for the car at home. I dont work on the car alot anyways.

have a look at SP tools too.

• Member For: 14y 6m 2d

Hey mate,

If your only using it at home , I would honestly consider Supercheaps 'caliber' brand. They are constantly on sale, and are actually re-branded Stanley tools.

Also come with a lifetime 'replacement' warranty, so if a spanner snaps or ratchet breaks, they'll replace it on the spot..

• Blown Happiness
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 29d

Unsure about the price now, but I bought Minimax about 20 years ago and have never broken a socket or spanner.

I think the quality is top notch.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m 4d

I would honestly consider Supercheaps 'caliber' brand. They are constantly on sale, and are actually re-branded Stanley tools.

Never knew that. Although I have heard that repco brand tools are re-branded snapon. Info came from snapon themselves.

Edited by Paulie2256

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 5d

Ok so I'm now tossing up between the TTi range from total tools and the sidchrome set off ebay link http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280723609198&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3764wt_1156. I need to go and have another look at the TTi range before I make up my mind though.

But, goin through the garage today, I found a 55 piece socket set, with only 1 missing socket, a 13mm. The box says Auto Tool by Morey Haig I assume that's the brand, I remember I bought them from a garage sale.. The kit looks good, a bit rusty but would clean up really good.. Think I may swell keep this and put the money towards some good ratchet spanners and a breaker bar.. Decisions decisions...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 2m 10d

dont buy kinchrome ratchet spanners as the ratcheting gears strip all the time. I have a metric set of CAT ratchet spanners which are great and a imperial set of JBS ratchet spanners which have taken three years of abuse off me on the mine site and have never broken one. Repco and JBS are made in the same factory and are resonably priced. The new Sidchrome open ended spanners are good aswell as the SP Tool Motorsport spanners as they have an anti slip open end.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 30d

Ok so I'm now tossing up between the TTi range from total tools and the sidchrome set off ebay link http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280723609198&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3764wt_1156. I need to go and have another look at the TTi range before I make up my mind though.

But, goin through the garage today, I found a 55 piece socket set, with only 1 missing socket, a 13mm. The box says Auto Tool by Morey Haig I assume that's the brand, I remember I bought them from a garage sale.. The kit looks good, a bit rusty but would clean up really good.. Think I may swell keep this and put the money towards some good ratchet spanners and a breaker bar.. Decisions decisions...

Grab the ebay sidchrome set I have the same and its great.

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m

dont buy kinchrome ratchet spanners as the ratcheting gears strip all the time. I have a metric set of CAT ratchet spanners which are great and a imperial set of JBS ratchet spanners which have taken three years of abuse off me on the mine site and have never broken one. Repco and JBS are made in the same factory and are resonably priced. The new Sidchrome open ended spanners are good aswell as the SP Tool Motorsport spanners as they have an anti slip open end.

^ what he said

my ratchet spanners are bluepoint, my sockets are JBS (3/8 to 3/4), my spanners are a combo of JBS, sidchrome and SP tools in the bigger stuff. All good quality gear that can handle a lot of abuse.

I have 1 kinchrome ratchet spanner in 24mm and it's a pig compared with the other spanners I have. also a set of kinchrome seal picks which are made in china crap that bend every time. watch out for a few of brands just putting their logo on generic crap tools.

Depends on what you are going to use it for and how often. In all honesty mate I've seen a few tradies use the better stuff in the supercheap range and go alright, just don't put a massive bit of pipe on the end and you'll be fine, also the sockets really don't like being on the end of a rattle gun.

The ready packed tool kits that SP tools do are bloody good value if you are starting from square one.