Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 7y 6m 1d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted (edited)

So its a friday, and I cbf doing work. Instead for some unknown reason I decided to research automatic gearbox options for (extremely) future build ideas. 

Common upgrades for the xr6 rigs is a built zf6, th400, and a powerglide.

 

I checked out ZF's site to get some info on the zf6 when I stumbled on their zf8 transmission. This statement is what peaked my interest:

"Although the 8HP features 2 more speeds than the extremely successful 6HP, the dimensions have remained unchanged and the weight was even reduced by 3% to 87 kg (transmission modular system 8HP70) including oil."

 

From this I found a single thread from back in the day about this transmission but nothing useful was in it.

Got me thinking, if the dimensions are the same as a zf6.... Surely a zf8 conversion wouldn't be all that difficult?

Sure the PCM isn't built for it, but there are ways around this. Solutions have been made for other transmissions so I don't see this being an issue.

 

Imagine an FG with an 8 speed box. I wonder if the box would handle more torque being a newer design? 

Sounds like a very interesting conversion if it was to ever happen. 

Imagine a built 8 speed.... There is a market for them in other cars already that use this transmission.

https://vendettaracing.com/products/bmw-m240i-m340i-stage-2-zf8-built-trans-1200hp?variant=37581670252734

 

The hellcat uses an 8hp90 transmission from factory for example.
https://www.empnewyork.com/products/emp-zf-8hp90-transmission-hellcat

 

 

Anyway, thought it would be a good topic to discuss instead of working xD 

Edited by biddie_fiddler
  • less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 18y 5m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

there's already too many gears in a 6sp, imho.

 

if it's the same footprint, weight etc with more gears, it'll handle less torque than the equivalent 6sp version, I reckon... you can build whatever you want with decent $$ though.

  • Like 1
  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 7y 6m 1d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted

After reading up about this trans, it appears that they have made the 8hp the successor to 6hp, same dimensions and power handling just with 2 more gears.

There have been some pretty big tech advances since the 6hp was developed. So its no surprise that the 8hp could potentially handle more power while having more gears.

From factory, the 8hp90 can handle 900nm of torque whereas the 6hp26 can only handle 600nm.

that's an insane amount of torque handling from a stock transmission with 8 speeds!

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 11y 5m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Canberra ACT
Posted

It's a nice idea, but I'm not sure it would be worth it. Extra gears will give better economy I guess.

Having a ton of gears when in manual mode through the twisties would be annoying I reckon.

  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 7y 6m 1d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted

I reckon that the gearbox has got a lot of potential even with 8 gears.

It’s a really popular gearbox of choice for car manufacturers and there is heaps of built box options in the US too.

I don’t think more gears is a bad thing if the gears themselves are strong, I reckon it could be good for roll racing

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 8m 21d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

In the mustang world the 8-speed is apparently awesome as it’s always in the right gear apparently

  • Member
  • Member For: 5y 7m 4d
Posted

BMW use the 8 speed ZF in the new M5 and its shifts and drive ability are amazing and your correct the ZF 8 can handle huge torque,,,, jeep use it in the AWD trackhawk as well with no reported issues thus far 

  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 7y 6m 1d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted

Was reading somewhere that the zf6 stopped production in 2014, can't find this reference anywhere except Wikipedia any more. 🤷‍♂️

I wonder if the falcons would have been equipped with a zf8 if they had carried on production  🤔 

 

I dunno, the thought of being "the first 8spd falcon" sounds pretty cool 🤣

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...