Budget xr6 Turbo mods

kamanli

• Member For: 8y 6d

Hi All,

I have an older ba xr6 turbo with 200,000klms and would like to spend as little as possible with max gain, I have been advised by a friend with a modded xr6 turbo to go for some bigger injectors, bigger intercooler and a tune (possible a dump, high flow cat, delete mid).

I will try to find all these second hand to keep costs lower. The car is completely stock, just has a kn filter. I have recently also purchased a earls oil line filter.

I am aware there is many older threads but I was after up to date info as there would be newer products than was available in the past. Also if you have any parts I could use please let me know I am located in sydney.

Thanks in advance 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

BA with 200,000km+ is a potential ticking time bomb in terms of the skinny rods and the weak auto/manual gearboxes that both let go at ~300.

You'll have issues getting reliable power out of it for not much money, but your friend is reasonably on the mark for the simpler power-adders for these cars.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Spending as little as possible for max gain from stock is just injectors, fuel pump and tune.

Sure the cat, cooler, exhaust etc will help but that isn't keeping it as cheap as possible. 

You mentioned that it's never enough so make sure you plan it out so you don't pay for things twice eg: tuning or poor quality parts. 

• Like 1

• Member For: 7y 10m 9d

@BAXRTUTE might be able to help you with a fair whack of goodies. He had cooler pipes and under battery intake with 62 pound injectors. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112053782109 

that'll work with most intercooler pipe kits. 

Get a walbro 460lph intank pump. 

Bash your cat out and find someone with hptuners near you to tune it. You'll probably get close to 250-270rwkw. 

Doing it on the cheap isn't the way to go. I've been tempted a number of times but I'm holding out to do it right. 

Don't let us stop you but. Post up your progress. 

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

If your cat is 200k old it's probably pretty clogged too which adds weight to the idea of replacing it or bashing it out. They are surprisingly cheap if you don't want to just gut it.

• Member For: 8y 11m 21d

All the above information is spot on the mark buddy.

I was at the exact some place you were almost 2 years ago.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is

Valve springs. It was my first port of call after the flash tune.

Definitely fuel pump Walbro

Injectors don't skimp on these. ID'S ftw

Bolt in cat section. $500-$650 Flea bay

Shouldn't need to change the dump pipe.

I'm at 315rwkw's on standard dump and cat back exhaust. Just upgraded the Cat section (Venom)

It's holding it back a little bit but on a BA MK2 I can't go much higher anyway.

Don't let Keith scare ya 200+ k's on a BA isn't any real issue if it's tuned correctly.

Jet has mine sitting very safe at 14 psi with more room to move with a more flowing exhaust. 340 rwkw's on the same psi is my max number he will push it to. And that's still safe.....

The famous words come to mind.

How long is a piece string.

A person who doesn't want to spend much money on these cars will always spends double. As Rob and puff said save up and do it all at once. I enjoyed the journey of doing it in stages, my wallet not so much. Hahaha.....