Kimberley Scott www.australianflag.org.au Legacy Donating Member 6,763 Member For: 21y 2m 19d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 17/10/06 10:29 AM Posted 17/10/06 10:29 AM We all know that the major restriction in a stock Zorst is the cat, however taking out the centre muffler will to some extent free up flow. It has to or you would not get ,ore sound.How this effects tune and ecu is way beyond me, but why would I be getting some much feedback telling me not to do it?ScottyPS Shock that replacement bit looks great, and I would dearly love to do the same. Are you able to tell us wher that company is?←I had a typhoon cold air and current zorst I got now and filter and had 192rwkw. boost was straight as they come also....some people say u can overboost with a zorst like mine but I had not one issue. (AUTO BTW)←Fair enough, do you have before and after power figuers, as this will give a good indication as to what effect the exhaust mods had, apart from the obvious fully sic sound.Scotty
urslow Resident golf buggy drift champion Legacy Donating Member 815 Member For: 20y 11m 17d Location: Lismore NSW Posted 17/10/06 10:31 AM Posted 17/10/06 10:31 AM We all know that the major restriction in a stock Zorst is the cat, however taking out the centre muffler will to some extent free up flow. It has to or you would not get ,ore sound.How this effects tune and ecu is way beyond me, but why would I be getting some much feedback telling me not to do it?ScottyPS Shock that replacement bit looks great, and I would dearly love to do the same. Are you able to tell us wher that company is?←I had a typhoon cold air and current zorst I got now and filter and had 192rwkw. boost was straight as they come also....some people say u can overboost with a zorst like mine but I had not one issue. (AUTO BTW)←Fair enough, do you have before and after power figuers, as this will give a good indication as to what effect the exhaust mods had, apart from the obvious fully sic sound.Scotty←sorry man no I dont..but bugger all I reckon.
JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 16d Location: Canberra Posted 17/10/06 12:28 PM Posted 17/10/06 12:28 PM I have a magazine at home that went through the process of doing up an XR6T. Changing parts like cat, mufflers etc without tunes and checking dyno results. It was really interesting. I'll check it out tonight/tomorrow and post up the results of what they found when changing certain parts.
Kimberley Scott www.australianflag.org.au Legacy Donating Member 6,763 Member For: 21y 2m 19d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 18/10/06 12:59 AM Posted 18/10/06 12:59 AM PS Shock that replacement bit looks great, and I would dearly love to do the same. Are you able to tell us wher that company is?←If your asking me... its from exotic exhausts at sumner park... cost $275 if I remeber correctly... madrel bent with flanges If you want to do more then the centre muff, may as well get a whole exhaust ←Sorry mate I was asking you, no insult intended.Scotty
turbomuz Member 209 Member For: 21y 4m 23d Location: Canberra Posted 18/10/06 02:46 AM Posted 18/10/06 02:46 AM Fair enough, do you have before and after power figuers, as this will give a good indication as to what effect the exhaust mods had, apart from the obvious fully sic sound.Scotty←I had my car dynoed before and after fitting of hotdogs and I gained power. A massive 1.8kW!!!I wasn't expecting power gains as I believe the centre muffler is almost straight through like the rear muffler. The hotdogs are only louder because they have less volume to absorb sound.Muz
cobrav8 Member 1,969 Member For: 21y 6m 12d Gender: Male Location: New Zealand Posted 18/10/06 03:30 AM Posted 18/10/06 03:30 AM Totally agree with Muz. Older mufflers used to restrict airflow by going through small holes etc. More modern mufflers restrict noise based on affecting the shockwaves of noise by turning the flow past a baffle - basically not reducing flow much at all.On BMW race cars they just pass the exhaust through a box that is roughly 1.5 times the engine size - no restriction at all, but it still cuts the sound. In fact, a good performing muffler could flow air better than a hot-dog I would have thought.Saying all that - I am still considering the hot dog route as I think the cars need a little more noise.
Bain Member 827 Member For: 21y 7m 8d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 19/10/06 04:54 AM Posted 19/10/06 04:54 AM (edited) Mika.Give Daalder Exhausts in Box Hill a call.They did my twin hotdogs and Stainless steel tips.I have a soundclip of in the car and outside of the car aswell if you want that. Edited 19/10/06 04:56 AM by Bain
MiKa Legacy Donating Member 4,243 Member For: 20y 1m 15d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, VIC Posted 19/10/06 07:25 AM Posted 19/10/06 07:25 AM Yeah hook up the soundclips.... Box hill a lil too far from me I think maybe try the one near me.. How much was it just for the doggs?? Last time I went there for a cat for my VS they seemed to be a bit pricey
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 12d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 19/10/06 07:27 AM Posted 19/10/06 07:27 AM For a relatively cheap mod I think it is worth getting done. I have been quoted around the $400 mark including 3" tips... it makes a nice noise but I doubt it would change the power much if at all. It would help out to change the cat and get an edit!
JimmyXR6T04 Member 1,299 Member For: 21y 3m 16d Location: Canberra Posted 19/10/06 07:38 AM Posted 19/10/06 07:38 AM (edited) heres a link to my thread. My exhaust consists of a hi-flow cat and removed centre muffler. Sounds much better in the flesh, the vid doesn't do it justice at all.edit: doh! forgot the link http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29062 Edited 19/10/06 07:38 AM by JimmyXR6T04
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now