geea

Centre Muffler Removal

On Friday I had a piece made to replace my centre muffler. I now have the choice of centre muffler or straight through twin pipes. All that is needed to change between the 2 is to undo 6 bolts. The new twin pipes looks factory and as has been said before the sound is great. The new pipes cost $150.00 fitted and it took about 90mins to have them custom made.

For those interested in having this done I highly recommend Mike Curtin and his team of experienced exhaust people at FASTFIT in Frankston, Victoria.

Fastfit

15 Wells Rd.

Seaford 3198

Ph. 0397868888

Here is a link to the photo album with before and after shots as well as shots of the new exhaust piece being made. I hope this information is of use to anyone that is interested in this modification.

Link Removed No Longer Works.

Immediately after having it done and driving away from the exhaust shop I did notice that the exhaust "seemed" to drone a little bit. I drove the family from Frankston to Calder and back to East Malvern, well over a 100km trip and neither the wife or kids complained about any drone. On the way home from the drags (Calder to East Malvern) it was like it hadn't been changed. There is a noticable burble on hard acceleration and on start up it has a great sound but I dont believe that there is any detremental drone. :thumbsup:

Regarding the power figures I had a dyno run at the Melbourne dyno day and got 200.9 RWKW. Since then I have added a second cold air intake, BMC panel filter and had the center muffler removed. I hope to be able to go back to the same dyno place (forget the name) and get an indication of any KW improvements. I have the capability to put the car back to standard (by replacing the center muffler, standard airfilter and taping up 2nd air intake), so if it isnt too expensive I would be able to give before and after rwkw figures for each mod and the mods as a total. I am not sure when or if this will happen though. :thumbsup:

2nd cold air walk through

Above is a link to how I did mine, after doing this coupled with a BMC panel filter I noticed a difference in car performance. I haven't got any dyno figures for it though so unsure exactly what the difference was.

Do I think its worth getting done? Definately!!!

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

geea I got the same done but had two hot dogs put in as well so plonky cant say nothing, it means Ive got one muff more than I need to pass ADR s. What did you think when they first started it? I thought, o no bit loud , but that was just the idle up, once that went fine

Vik, would you consider your new system to "drone"?

Do you think you will be able to live with the new modification everywhere? ie on highway, aorund town, surbubia etc?

I thought about putting the two hotdogs in as well to keep the feds off my back...... but only if it increases performance over the standard system.

Mike said I could be the first to start it after it was installed and the new note is awesome, I'm very happy. :D

ms700 what state are you in? If your in Melbourne I'll gladly meet you somewhere convienient for us both so you can have a look and listen. :huh:

geea im the ACT! he he.

If you dont mind, id like to have a look and listen at the Ford Tour, that's if you are bringing your T along. I am making the trek down to Geelong, I would really like to listen to the car and decide for sure!

Thanks champ! :thumbsup:

I look forward to showing you on the tour. It will be great to meet all the interstate "T" owners. :thumbsup:

I had a chat to a few of you guys yesterday on the cruise about removing the centre muffler. I like the sound of those cars that have had the centre mufflers removed. I'm just interested to hear from anyone who has had it done and is not happy with the results, or any other negatives. I understand that this does not affect the warranty? Also I live in Sydney, I'm inteersted to know where some of you guys had your centre mufflers removed and how much $ am I looking at. cheers

Link Merged.

This is how I did mine. Its in Melbourne but should be similar in other areas. I'm not sure that the warranty isn't affected either, you would probably need to talk to your dealer.

The sound is awesome and I've had no negative feed back at all. I personally think its great too. :thumbsup:

Skeets, I think youll be happy, do the replaceable version and your safe,think about a hot dog for ADR complience. Expect to pay $200_$300 mark with two hot dogs.

camerooch, tell me more.I asked my service advisor and he looked into it and told me it was ok to remove it,no warranty probs,and not a mention about back pressure.

So what do you know that we dont?

vik

This is what my service manager told me:

If you affect the way the air enters the motor (like I did when I put my XR8 assembly on), or the way the air leaves the motor, warranty will not be honoured.

But he also said it has a lot to do with the attitude of the car owner.

Obviously there will be different stories all over the country, but that is what mine said.......

I know what your saying ms, I asked my service advisor about the centre muff story when the zoom mag came out ( showed him the mag) he said no warranty - next breath warranty, at least he looked in to it I spose.

I was always informed that warranty was affected if the component you altered had a direct effect on the component/s that failed. Obviously, what we need to ask is rather than "is my warranty void?" is something like, if my engine spits a piston, is it covered if the fault was a bad crank or something.... even though I have no centre muffler.

Hi All

Had the same conversation with a service advisor at my local Ford dealership yesterday... B) (Titan Ford in Sydney)

I was told that removal of the centre muffler would cancel the warranty... He even went on to say that fitting hotdogs to get around ADR compliance would still void your warranty. :(

But they are also a Herrod dealer, and he was really pushing the after-market Herrod exhaust, which (he claimed) doesn't blow your warranty...

He was suggesting the Herrod V8 stainless system for use on my T - said that he'd already sold/fitted one, with a big improvement in exhaust note and slight increase in performance.

Quoted about $1800 fitted...