Weight Training For Beginners

Kv!

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 18d

Got my 8 reps. Holy sh*t you can feel the pressure in your head by the last few reps.

I've increased my 1rm from a month ago to 4 reps, have added 10kg to my 1rm in 4 weeks. Not the quickest progress in the world but it adds up over time.

Yay for progressive overload :buttrock:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Rows for assistance work today. Worked up to a top set of 110kg for 15 reps. Did some lighter sets after, 60kg for 5 sets of 10 reps. It all felt relatively easy but no point doing more than I need to progress, plus I've got deadlifts on Thursday so need a fresh back for then.

Bench day tomorrow, it's always Monday somewhere right?!

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Did I just do bench? Yes I farken did and I'm gonna tell you all about it :stirthepot:

Haha worked up to 115kg for 11 reps and failed on the 12th. Backed off for 5 sets of 10 reps on incline with 60kg.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I just pulled 205kg for 10 reps on the deadlift. I would have had one more left in the tank but probably not two more. Straps make all the difference I reckon. I had my pants arranged wrong so the first couple of reps tried to pop me left bollock. Adjusted my stance with the weight in the air then finished it off.

Only shoulders left this week then a deload next week. Thank fark for that too lol.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Three weeks of balls to the wall training done, with next week being a deload week. That's one segment (4 weeks) of the training program, the next 4 weeks will be 10kg heavier or whatever it is, the one after that heavier again.

First thought is this program, the 5/3/1 strength training program, is great for recovery. You calculate your 1rms then you program based on 90% of that. It means that the weight is never too heavy, yet you still get stronger. I'm only just starting to feel a bit overworked now, the first couple of weeks were fine. Because the various exercises are laid out well, there is a slight overlap with muscle groups, which means less stress in a short amount of time, yet enough stress to not go backwards.

My strength has gone up, much more so than doing a conventional 5x5 or variations thereof. If I can keep progressing at this program there are gonna be some big numbers lifted one day. Speaking of which, I'm not gonna attempt a 1rm lift for quite a while now. They generally set you back a week or so due to beating up your nervous system and muscles etc. Haha it's gonna be tempting when the calculated 1rm is a hectic number but I got my PR squat out the way a few weeks ago, so now will just chill out and get the work done for a while.

I know how much some of you love the frequent updates, I'll give you a break for now until next time :1luvu:

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Deload week is complete and I'm itching to get back under some heavy weights! I'm gonna make more of an effort to eat more food earlier in the day over the coming weeks. It's too easy to be lazy and not bother eating until late in the afternoon which makes lifting harder and also means I have to eat hella ham sammiches at midnight to make up for it.

I also got the missus back into lifting which took some convincing. She had a week off work last week and I managed to talk her into it somehow. I got her out there to figure out how much weight she needs to lift for the various exercises, put the numbers into a program, then texted her the excel file for the program to make it easy.

Anyhow here's to making all kinds of gains...ALL KINDZZZZZ :drinks:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Fark me I had 5 hours sleep last night, drank a dozen shots and half a dozen beers before bed, didn't eat until 4pm today and got the workout done all the same. It farken SUCKED!!!!!

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

End of the 1st week again. Compared to the first week on the last program cycle, the 1rms for squat went up 2.5%, deadlift and bench went up 10%, shoulder press didn't change. Easy enough first week but heavy stuff is still a bit heavy. Next week will be back to the same weights that I had at the last heavy week of the first program cycle. The last working week of this one will be a bit heavier again. I had a flu shot earlier in the week so didn't have huge energy levels, but as mentioned the program is based off 90% capacity so can always be done.

Gettin it done and somewhat patiently waiting to get stronger lol :w00t2:

• Like 1