Insurance....merged Topic....

Mondie

Insurance companies...  

825 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Member For: 15y 3m 6d

Thanks fellas, called up Shannons today and they gave me an agreed value of 20k for my BF paying 1600 a year. This was the lowest they were willing to go, as it actually came up as 1800 but he knocked 200 off it. I decided to go with them as it's the best quote I've received so far and I think the agreed value is pretty fair considering the age of the car.

I asked what's driving up the cost of my insurance as everyone is giving me high quotes, and he reckons it's the state. Victoria is the dearest in the country apparently.

I have a 21 day cooling off period, so I'm still going to ring up a few other places to see what I can get, but I don't think I can get better than this.

• Like 1

• Member For: 9y 11m 25d

AT LAST!!!

Something in Victoria is more expensive than the RIPOFF state, NSW!

For years I've always thought stuff in "Mexico" was cheaper than in NSW.

Must be all those "Cartel" wars starting to take effect

• 4 weeks later...
  • I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 21d

Renewal time........grrrrrrrr

Because aami changed the way they 'clasify' the G6ET a cupla years back which dramatically increased my premium whilst at the same time increasing the excess from 450 to 1200, I was dreading renewal time this year coz I knew that they would be increasing it again and guess what, they didn't disappoint me.

Premium increased to 620 /y, a $103 increase and agreed value dropped to 22000..............agreed value? not friggen likely. I am sure that they are doing this with the policy coz they don't actually want to insure me or my car, so I have fired the wankers.

Remembering that I am 51 and live outside of Adelaide, SGIC (SGIO & NRMA) gave me an agreed value of 27000 - could of gone higher if I went through Underwriting but premium goes up quite a bit - covers ALL mods (careful of the small print with AAMI) NCB protection and covers ALL drivers of my car whereas minimum driver age with aami was 35 which means that if I wanted to sell the car, no-one under 35 could test drive it and be covered. I know this for a fact coz I asked them when I was thinking of selling it.

I had the idea in my head that I wanted the premium to be under 500 a year so the chic on the phone told me to buy the policy online to get a discount and I've now got an insurance policy with SGIC on my car that I am happy with for $472. I was charged an extra dollar coz I ticked the box to send hardcopies the policy & PDS to me instead of emailing it all.

Cheers for pointing me in the right direction Kurt :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 9y 1m

Hi gents, 1st post

After being shafted by Allianz when the Mrs wrote off our BA Mk2 XR (her 3rd claim during policy - 9 years), went with Shannons with the new purchase. 2011 FG XR6T , silhouette, 19's, leather , luxury pack. 12500kms !

Agreed value $30k. $86/month.

Jason

• Member For: 11y 4m 20d

Welcome aboard.

Shannons have a good solid policy, I only wish their premium were cheaper for me.

I'll swap over eventually, probably when I start modding, but for now RAC win out for me because they're 50% cheaper and being a stock car I figure they're as good as anyone for now.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 2d

Dumb question for anyone with shannons...are you all track day members or some form of motorsports?

When I tried to get a quote years ago...girl said I have to be a member of some kind I.e. barbagellos

Because its "for motoring enthusiasts" which I genuinely thought was just a marketing line

• Member For: 11y 4m 20d

Common misconception a few years ago (even within staff), was that you needed to be part of a club member of some description.
This is definitely not the case, by being a motoring enthusiast, there's numerous levels and ways to show it and not everyone is the same.

Being a member of a car forum counts towards it, watching v8's, attending the odd car show, looking up stuff online for your car or about cars constantly, even working on your own car.

Shannons does only insure motoring enthusiasts, so you have to have an interest in cars at some level to be able to be insured by them, and generally there's qualifying questions or a discussion to evaluate this the very first time you ever contact Shannons.

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 28d

I went through the same process with them and I simply said I was part of the xr6turbo forum and we did track days every so often and went on cruises. That was enough to convince them and ohh the car is modded. ;)

• Member For: 9y 11m 25d

I've been with Shannon's for about 14 years because I had my 73 XA HARDTOP insured with them and because of that I ended up being able to insure our Camrys (when we had them) household contents, house and even my Enduro bike.

Now I also have the F6 and XR6T insured with them as well.

The XA only costs about $150 a year cause it's in what they call laid up condition due to undergoing restoration.

Shannon's were far cheaper overall than anyone else.

I really rate them