White Knight Legacy Donating Member 73 Member For: 16y 11m 12d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 03/11/09 01:52 PM Posted 03/11/09 01:52 PM I gave this a go last week and I noticed a hell of a difference in power. Haha, I think the XR6T ute that was sitting with me in traffic towards the city was surprised when I gave it a bootful afterwards.But I noticed however when overtaking on the motorway, that the engine / power would cut out consistently around 3.5k rpm. A week later, when installing new spark plugs and checking a few things ... I noticed the hose was off completely. If I'm not mistaken this will fool the computer into thinking there's no boost developing, hence your wastegate won't open (thanks to a little wikipedia & advice from a friend). The result is you can build boost up to levels potentially dangerous for your engine. I think the engine cutting out in my case might have been triggered by knock being detected. I don't need to tell you this can be very bad for your engine.Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the technical side of things.But anyway, if you perform this maintenance, DOUBLE CHECK your hose hasn't slipped off with the added lubrication after you've taken it for a spin if you're getting insane results. I could hear my turbo spooling up quite audibly and was even getting turbo flutter, with stock equipment and my BOV properly connected.
smoke'm Member 104 Member For: 19y 4m 7d Gender: Male Location: adelaide, SA Posted 04/11/09 01:21 AM Posted 04/11/09 01:21 AM finally got around to doing this. noticed a small improvment in how guick the car comes onto boost. well worth the ten minutes of effort
Shcbri Member 28 Member For: 17y 4m 13d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 04/11/09 02:31 AM Posted 04/11/09 02:31 AM (edited) Was wunderin' if there is any reason why you can't simply undo the rubber hose that comes from the solenoid where it attches to the top of the turbo and then spray the WD-40 down this hose? Hose is about 10 inches long so cannot see why to remove it from the solenoid end?Where it attaches to the turbo has a screw head clamp and is easily accessible and would save the pain of removing anything?(FG G6ET.) Edited 04/11/09 02:33 AM by Shcbri
PHANTMXR6 It's not a MKI! Member 1,742 Member For: 18y 3m 13d Gender: Male Location: Earth Posted 04/11/09 11:59 AM Posted 04/11/09 11:59 AM There is no reason really.If that's how you want to do it, go for it.
mrih8hsv Member 16 Member For: 18y 1m 14d Gender: Male Location: sydney Posted 08/11/09 10:59 AM Posted 08/11/09 10:59 AM while checking all my hoses and piping on my car I noticed the hose from the boost solenoid does not have a hose clamp on the turbo (it has a clamp on the solinoid) but hose just slip onto the connection on the turbo is this correct or should there be a hose clamp
BFHOON Legacy Donating Member 1,932 Member For: 20y 6m 8d Gender: Male Location: nsw Posted 08/11/09 01:26 PM Posted 08/11/09 01:26 PM put a clamp on it for safety, mine had a poxy ford butterfly clamp on it stock but has been replaced with a proper one.
STYLZEE Member 75 Member For: 18y 4m 3d Posted 12/11/09 12:21 AM Posted 12/11/09 12:21 AM WOW what a difference... great guide buddy Best 10 mins ive spent on the car yet!
GNU UP Member 124 Member For: 17y 1m 6d Gender: Male Location: sydney south Posted 12/11/09 09:47 PM Posted 12/11/09 09:47 PM GREAT THREAD BOYS..... carried out in 2 min just pulled hose off sprayed some WD40 and re- attached.....no need to take battery out etc, just twist hose and apply pressure to pull off... can be tricky to find but just follow red(+) lead off battery to solinoid..Also done to other xr6 t and noticed difference..WELL DONE !!!!!!!
rockafellqeinstien Member 325 Member For: 18y 2m 9d Posted 12/11/09 10:54 PM Posted 12/11/09 10:54 PM Did this to my FG ute 75,000km - Just took the top of the hose off and sprayed down it with WD 40 (dont use silicone based lube as it will kill O2 sensors).I pulled the copper out of a electical cable and then used the hollow platic bit of insulation as a hollow extention to spray further down the tube.Wow, what a difference. I cant explain why but it comes on boost faster and is stronger at the top end also. Just before I did it, I was thinking how I was getting used to the power but it wasnt mee it was the car. Actually it goes better now than when new.took maybe 1 minute (2 including my dodgy extention for the wd40)
KIL-06L Member 155 Member For: 17y 5m 6d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 29/11/09 12:06 AM Posted 29/11/09 12:06 AM I done this mod this morning. seemed to go a bit better than usual.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now