I am writing this to let members know about a very common problem that affects the Turbo Falcons. The electronic boost solenoid gets sticky after about 10,000km.

I did this maintenance on my car last Saturday night after reading about it on another forum. My car felt sluggish going onto boost. While the car still pulled like a freight train, it did not come onto power like it used to, so I thought I would try out the procedure. The difference was noticeable on the Bathurst Christmas cruise as the boost came on like it used to without the lag that I was experiencing before the maintenance.

Now I have tried to write this for anyone with the right tools and a very basic mechanical knowledge. If you do not feel at ease under the bonnet, you may be best to get your friendly mechanic or mate to do it.

Firstly the parts:

Can of WD40 or similar (I used Nulon spray)

10 and 12mm spanner

Long nose pliers

10 minutes of your time.

Now this work can be done with the battery installed, but is easiest if the battery is removed.

1. Open the bonnet and locate the battery and remove it using the 12mm spanner, removing both terminals and then the battery clamp.

The arrow is pointing to where the boost solenoid is located

picture2.jpg

2. With the battery removed, locate the boost solenoid pic has a circle around it

picture4.jpg

picture3.jpg

3. You can either grab the hose with the long nose pliers or undo the 10mm bolt to make removing the hose easier.

picture5.jpg

Once you have removed the solenoid, remove the top black hose adjacent to the plug with the long nose pliers. It is important that you do this carefully and pull the hose straight off, do not wiggle it off or you could break the plastic tube.

The hose can be grabbed above the metal clamp and pulled straight off with a little force.

Once the hose is removed, spray a liberal amount of lubricant (WD40) into the plastic tube and also up the rubber hose.

Reverse the whole procedure and go for a drive. You should notice a significant improvement in the way your car comes on boost.

This should be done every 10,000km for optimal results :spoton:

• Like 8
  • Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am writing this to let members know about a very common problem that affects the Turbo Falcons. The electronic boost solenoid gets sticky after about 10,000km. I did this maintenance on my car last

I got this blue one, You need a passenger for it to work though, Just get them to hold it out the window for instant boost at any speed.

New one from ford for a FG xr6 turbo was $52. Got it the other day and drives a lot smoother. Don't see the point in doing maintenance when you can just replace it.

Posted Images

WD40 dries up, silicon lube don't. Also takes a lot more heat to turn silicon lube into part of the atmosphere compared to WD40. I would imagine that this would be far superior to the use of WD40, WD40 is for use to loosen seized bolts ect and the fact that it dries up ect would suggest why this procedure has to be repeated every 10,000km.

Can anybody explain the mechanics of why the wastegete would get sticky like this. I might speak to the local tech wizz down and garrett dist and see his thoughts on the issue as there might be a better product which would give a longer lasting result, if I had a reason as to why this would happen.

Good write up Mal.

Edited by Dagabond

does not make much difference unless you have a factory alarm.

If you do, make sure the ignition is on then remote the + terminal first to avoid the alarm going off.

thanks zap f6,did mine today along with the difillipo turbo pipes,makes a nice improvement,took 5 min didint need to take the battery out,just used a long pair of pliers very easy

thanks lee

Ok guys got everything done except for getting that baslted little hose off

The clamp had a bit of rust on it so I didn't wanna pull it off otherwise I thought I'd break the hose or something.

Put everything back together. I then thought wouldn't it be easier to put a t peice further on on the hose that connects to the boost solenoid and install the t peice of some sort then access would be easier.

Just an idea. Perhaps someone more mechincally minded could say if this is a viable solution

I have attached a picture with my idea

EDIT:

blue t squiggle is the proposed t peice and red circle is where I thought I could be located. Of course there would be some sort of thing to block the 3rd hole on the t peice

feedback???

post-7323-1167279465_thumb.jpg

Edited by BA_XR6Turbo_Ute

We tried it last night on my mates stock T and it made a difference for sure.Coming on boost earlier in higher gears which is what he said was originally lacking.

Cheers fellas :msm:

I guess you could put a T piece on, but the removal of the hose is easy.

Just grab the hose above the clamp and twist 'n pull it straight off.

The clamp does not hold the hose on much as there is not a lot of pressure running through the hose.

I am glad people are finding this a good maintenance procedure as it will make a noticable difference to the performance.

• Like 1

Hi guys this is my first post on here, so I hope you will go easy on me. Iv ahd a T for about 6 months now and love the car!! I tried this but the other end of the hose came of, im not sure where it goes. Could some on instruct me on where it fits or could someone take a picture. it would be even grater help. Thanks alot

• Like 1
Hi guys this is my first post on here, so I hope you will go easy on me. Iv ahd a T for about 6 months now and love the car!! I tried this but the other end of the hose came of, im not sure where it goes. Could some on instruct me on where it fits or could someone take a picture. it would be even grater help. Thanks alot

There are 2 hoses that run on to the solinoid.Is it the top hose or the bottom?

Ok guys got everything done except for getting that baslted little hose off

The clamp had a bit of rust on it so I didn't wanna pull it off otherwise I thought I'd break the hose or something.

Put everything back together.  I then thought wouldn't it be easier to put a t peice further on on the hose that connects to the boost solenoid and install the t peice of some sort then access would be easier.

Just an idea.  Perhaps someone more mechincally minded could say if this is a viable solution

I have attached a picture with my idea

EDIT:

blue t squiggle is the proposed t peice and red circle is where I thought I could be located.  Of course there would be some sort of thing to block the 3rd hole on the t peice

feedback???

haaa I'm calling you Mr squiggle from now on!!!!

good idea, but once you get the hose of once it's not too bad after.

My hose was on so tight that is was actually hard to get back on and I took half the car apart to do it, so I can see why some people have problems. Also the solenoid will unclip from the bracket once you see how the clip works.

A small problem with my T (6sp man) is that when cruising and I put my foot down, sometimes the car doesn't react and then suddenly hits boost and takes off. This may be linked to the solenoid and I'm monitoring if the car does it again.

Great post Zap...... next a guise to manifold torquing. I'll do this in the next month and take some pics. Cheers all!!

does not make much difference unless you have a factory alarm.

If you do, make sure the ignition is on then remote the + terminal first to avoid the alarm going off.

should always disconnect your negative terminal first

Its alright I figured it out. The other end of hose that connects to the solenoid, connects, right underneath the Turbo (unless im totally wrong). Thanks took the car out for 10mins and felt a big difference. The cars been feeling slow lately and this just brought it back to life. Thanks once again

mr squiggle indeed :beerchug:

I have that very same problem you describe IH8TOADS

that's why I wann do this little mod. I"m gonna try it again damnit after dinner. Hopefully the blasted thing will come off without me wrecking it in the process

I must say when I did this a month or so ago it made a big difference just like others have said. Kinda tempted to go down and do it again.. but........No

Edited by revheadrobbo

damnit, I'm so close. The damn hose just won't come off. Also the clamp on the hose is crimped on both sides so getting it off is might be a pain in the a!@ Any tips there. I"ll give it another couple of tugs :biggrin: . After that I dunno

Damn I'm so close :banghead:

update

I've figgured out the clip, but that damn hose is on there tight :censored:

update to the update

mission accomplised, just gotta put the sucker back together then out for a little od driving ms daisy :w00t2:

at least second time will be easier

thanks for the help lads

Edited by BA_XR6Turbo_Ute