Best Supermarket Coles,woolies,aldi,costco

kyle173

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m 23d

With the new Costco opening up in north Brisbane I thought I ask where most you guys shop and what you find the cheapest (good quality). currently we spend approx. $400 bucks a fortnight on food that's with 2 adults and a 3 yr old at woollies. With a second child on the way I am positive this will increase. so I am asking if you have a Costco near bye is the membership worth it in savings or am I best of finding what I like at aldi and woollies.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 30d

Costco membership can be recouped in just one big item, so not really too big a deal.

Costco is bulk - stuff like nappies, laundry etc would save you heaps (if you don't mind doing 1 big shop every 9 months)

Can't beat Aldi for price, but range is limited, lines are out the door and brands aren't recognisable (they are generally good quality though)

Coles is my go to for my weekly shop - Local IGA is too expensive, Aldi is too painful and Costco isn't local.

If you can be bothered - maybe do Costco once every couple of months to stock up on stuff for the new born, stuff for the household, paper goods, bulk stuff etc

Aldi every other week for the long life stuff - stock up on cans, pastas, stuff for the shelf etc

Coles weekly for perishables - meat, fruit, veg, milk etc - stuff for the week ahead and stuff you've run out of inbetween Aldi shops. Pick up from Aldi the stuff you run out of between Costco trips.

Personally - too hard for me - I just go to coles, but if you could cut your shopping bill in half it would make a huge difference to the motivation.

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 28d

Woolies because Aldi doesn't have everything you need and I cant be bother stopping twice.

Costco is to far for me to make the trip, well over an hour to get to.

Coles is only available at our major shopping centre to which I only go to about 3-4 time a year so coles is out.

I can say is the online shopping is great. You pick a time you want to delivered and they even bring it inside in the kitchen. Well worth giving it a go ppl.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 30d

Woolies drive-thru...order online, drive up and hit the buzzer and they load it in to your car. No fees, no need to worry about being home for delivery and fckn brilliant if you can't stand dealing with the lemmings roaming around bumping in to each other inside shopping centres.

If it's linked with your rewards card you can easily see sh*t that you normally buy that's on special, and will recommend things that it thinks you may have forgotten.

Usually get bulk meat from super butcher or somewhere like that.

Occasionally go to Aldi - but the place scares me a little.

• Member For: 10y 5m 4d

Aldi is tops once you get used to it, took me a few goes but im converted. Literally cut the cost for 2 adults and a baby down by half. Only thing we cant get is the formula and nappies we like. You get over the smaller range, they still have everything just not 5 billion options for each item.

Done the delivery thing aswell but its not any cheaper and they do get it wrong from time to time.

Erm so why the fark are we talking bout shopping anyway?

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 5d

Woolies and Coles are thieving kents,

Can someone explain to me how supermarket items

produced in Australia are cheaper across the ditch

( one of the most expensive stretches of water on the planet)

doing a fraction of the volume. Essentially NZ has a duopoly as well hmmmm

CODB with Woolies and Coles have cost thousands of Australian manufacturing

jobs by forcing suppliers overseas to make any money

I could start a separate thread on this but I would locked up by days end.

What has been reported to date of ACCC breaches is the tip of the iceberg.

Companies are not prepared to risk up to 80% of their domestic business to go the snitch

That said Aldi is great value for basic staples though it's market share is basically

unknown as they do not sell sales data..

Costco as said is great for bulk purchases and I think long term will resonate

well with Australian consumers due to their pricing model and margin structure.