-LYNCHO-

• Member For: 11y 1m 18d

Hi guys, this is the first time I've started a topic on this forum so forgive me if my forum etiquette is out of whack! I am in need of some information and recommendations with regards to a flapper mod on my BA MK2 XR6 Turbo.

I've been quoted $1,000 to have the flapper mod done by Xtreme Ford Tuning in Perth. I've had all my work done by these guys and although quite pricey, I'm very happy with the results. (currently running a little under 320rwkw with 4" dump and 3.5" single, ID1000 injectors, fuel pump, 12lb actuator, bolt on cooler, growler, valve springs, and a few other little bits and pieces). I need the flapper done because with the current tune from last week (tune needed after putting on new exhaust) the car is over boosting. I have read around and some people have suggested that to save money, it is easier to put on an external gate instead on the flapper mod. This I'm not too keen on as I'm planning on buying an under battery cooler kit later on down the track and would require unnecessary mucking around. Doing the mod myself is also out of the question as my mechanical ability does not extend this far.

Basically what im wanting to know is, is this worth $1000? Will I need a retune after doing the mod? Is an external gate a viable option? Should I be expecting any power gain from this?

Any help or opinions gratefully taken on board.

Matt

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 7m 7d

my tuner has quoted me $650 drive in/out . the guy he uses to do the mod charges $400 so the tuner is making $250 labour .

as for power and ill leave this for someone else ,but im assuming your tuner will be able to run a tad more boost but at a stable level as it wont be over-boosting.

note; the guy I see is usually $100-$200 cheaper than others ive asked for this mod....

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 20d

Look XFT are a very well run workshop and u may find that at that price simon will touch up ir tune they way he would of wanted it when your exhaust went on

The flapper is to "control" boost better so it will also be a better tune with a touch higher end figure

If your a regular at xft u should be used to paying a touch more but get the quality results

Go for it mate

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 9d

If you feel like removing it your self and posting it to Procharge, they charged me $250 with a new actuator!!!! Took a week in total. And if I can manage to remove and refit it anyone can.

• Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 3d

XFT do they're flapper mods a bit differently to most other workshops. They send them to another workshop which welds something and does some magic and viola, no overboost. I thought it was over priced as well until I spoke to them. It's what works best for them.

• Member For: 17y 10m 23d

spending the money on the flapper mod is cheaper than replacing an engine from overboost.

We have seen quite a few port jobs done elsewhere that just do not work when used in conjunction with a free flowing exhaust and intake.

If you decide to get it done yourself and then take it to be tuned and it overboosts still, are you going to be happy to pay for the dyno time spent trying to get it tuned and then having to pay for the port to be redone and then tuned again? I would trust your tuner to sort it out for you

• Member For: 17y 10m 23d

FG should cost the same, but re a bigger turbo that depends on what power you want to end up with, too many people underate the small turbo based on the final dyno numbers but they are a better match to the car for street duties and 11's can be had with out too much effort

• Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 3d

If you had say 80,000kms or above and it was going to cost 1k for the flapper mod surely it would be advantageous to buy a GTX for around $1350 no need todo flapper mod and then have a turbo to resell to recoup some of the money spent on the new turbo + retune costs.

• Like 1