Cameron02 Member 164 Member For: 13y 9m 18d Posted 20/12/12 02:23 AM Author Posted 20/12/12 02:23 AM I have the car booked in for test on Saturday. The tester tells me that it will be a noise test only. Apparently the N on the reference number stands for noise.I am thinking the cat might be alright as it's just bigger. Should still be doing its job emissions wise. Anyway I'll let you all know how the test goes on Saturday.
freeze_dk I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation Legacy Donating Member 8,610 Member For: 20y Gender: Male Posted 20/12/12 03:13 AM Posted 20/12/12 03:13 AM Bigger cat, louder
Mr_4.0 Member 1,096 Member For: 15y 8m 9d Posted 20/12/12 03:16 AM Posted 20/12/12 03:16 AM Yep bigger cat is noticably louder. 1
discostig Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday Legacy Donating Member 13,798 Member For: 18y 10m 4d Gender: Male Location: Probably above atmospheric pressure Posted 20/12/12 03:49 AM Posted 20/12/12 03:49 AM Man I'm glad in all the times I've been pulled over and gone through a dozen or so booze buses I've never gotten a notice like this. Not as hardcore in WA maybe with the emissions stuff. Car looks boring stock though which helps.
Stazza_Brendan Legacy Donating Member 686 Member For: 16y 11m 17d Gender: Male Location: Mackay QLD Posted 20/12/12 05:12 AM Posted 20/12/12 05:12 AM Throw a stock front section on if your worried about failing.
TALEB TYRES Member 131 Member For: 15y 4m 15d Gender: Male Posted 20/12/12 05:29 AM Posted 20/12/12 05:29 AM If your worry is passing, you could cut and drill a flange and bolt it between the cat/ dump, will get the noise down without a doubt( depending on how big you drill the hole/holes) 1
MiKa Legacy Donating Member 4,243 Member For: 20y 1m 7d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, VIC Posted 20/12/12 05:38 AM Posted 20/12/12 05:38 AM I went through something similar, got a letter in the mail saying my car is too loud and needed to get it tested.. Just had to go to a local certified exhaust place and it passed (I had a stock exhaust at the time too)I have the std middle section if you want to borrow it to pass..
Cameron02 Member 164 Member For: 13y 9m 18d Posted 20/12/12 06:36 AM Author Posted 20/12/12 06:36 AM Mighty generous offer MiKa,Im just going to see how it goes first. Im curious to see what db it is putting out. Then I will do what I have to do to make it legal. I dont want to get pulled over all the time.
Henz Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag Legacy Donating Member 9,946 Member For: 18y 6m 8d Gender: Male Location: Vic Posted 20/12/12 06:41 AM Posted 20/12/12 06:41 AM I PASSED AN EPA WITH CENTRE MUFFLER OUT. Just sayin.
Cameron02 Member 164 Member For: 13y 9m 18d Posted 21/12/12 11:55 PM Author Posted 21/12/12 11:55 PM (edited) Just got back from the tester.FAILEDLegal limit is 90 dbaWas 89 dba but 93 dba on deceleration.Also turns out I dont have a hi flow cat, its standard. The tester also tells me that the letter I have from the EPA is not the one they send out initally so it would seem it was issued against the previous owner. The car was advertised with "hi flow cat" but not the case.So im in the market for a used muffler.Also I need some advice. I want a high flow cat to support planned mods. I imagine aftermarket cats with twin outlets are non existant. I want to keep standard dump and 2 mufflers. With that in mind. What cat/pipe configuration would work best?At this stage I'm thinking I get the tester to fit the muffler, test it and then get the cat fitted,BA 2003FPV intercoolerplanned mods are:valve springs12 psi actuatorCAI 2nd intake60lb injectorsfuel pumpHi flow cattune Edited 21/12/12 11:58 PM by Cameron02
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now