Cool Stuff You Just Bought

Ralph Wiggum

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 6d

Yeah mine has a drain hose that runs to the sink too. So nice knowing that I now don't need to plan so far ahead with my washing, I can just throw it in whenever (irrespective of the weather) and know I have means of drying it in a reasonable time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 25d

New fermenter.

Pale ale just went in.

Got myself a proper keg setup (fridge, 2 taps, gas, kegs etc) I'm currently putting together.

Hopefully it'll all be setup and ready in a week or so when the beer's ready.

Was so over the bottling of the brews that I'd not done any for a while - this should be a hell of a lot easier and constant.

No more secondary ferment, adding sugars to carbonate etc and no more cleaning bottles.

Half hour at each end of the brew instead instead of hours and only a week or so before the beer is on tap instead of a month or longer.

The new fermenter will let me brew and dispense under pressure - should let everything be a closed loop from when the yeast is added til when the beer is poured.

Beer should be a lot cleaner, clearer and have far less chance of infection or "off" flavours - no more banana beer ;)

Have also got a nitrogen bottle and tap coming - proper pub "Guinness" and "Kilkenny" etc will be an awesome option. 

Have still got the "Beer droid" fermenters - will use them for the "small batch" beers - they do 10l so will go straight from them to a 10l keg to chuck on the taps.

1nemcVq.jpg?2

• Like 3

• Member For: 6y 14d

Always wanted to go a kegerator or fridge set up when I was brewing. Definitely agree the bottling and waiting process gets old pretty quick.

Is that a glass or plastic fermenter? Never seen one like that. Does the do hickey down the bottom just catch the sediment?

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
58 minutes ago, Renton said:

Is that a glass or plastic fermenter?

Fermentasaurus?? from Keg-King https://www.keg-king.com.au/fermentasaurus-starter-kit.html.html

It's plastic, but fully pressure capable - has proper gas and liquid disconnect cap on top - something you don't get with the usual bucket fermenters.

The plastic it's made of is meant to be very "non-porous" - shouldn't need much more than a rinse and a sanitise to be ready for the next brew.

Will go to 30+psi safely - I'll keep it around 12 max. Beer will already be mostly carbed once it's kegged rather than having to worry about let it wait a week to take up the CO2.

Fermenting under pressure is meant to let you go quicker, hotter and have keep the esters a non-issue.

Larger at Aussie room temp rather than having to keep it as a mid winter brew should be an option.

$129 plus another $40 or so for the pressure cap option.

The bottle down the bottom lets you remove the trub/sediment mid brew (is a valve stopper) and also lets you add dry hops or finishers without exposing any of the brew to oxygen - remove bottle, empty crap, sanitise, purge with co2, add hops etc, reconnect, open valve.

Lets you also take the yeast cleanly to harvest for a next brew.

Going the pressure cap option it lets me keg the brew from the top rather than from the bottom - float and tube draw it from the top rather than draining it.

Straight from fermentor to keg - no need to worry about secondary etc - all the crap stays at the bottom, only the good stuff is taken from the top.

Got 4 19l Kegs 2nd hand and a 10l one. Also got a 4l "growler" (not all through "keg-king")

That should give me a few beer options on tap at a time, the 10l for the "small batch"/experiments and the growler (about 12 stubbies) to take out the back or to a mates place - all of those filled under pressure, fully carbed and zero chance of degradation.

Also got the nitro setup to run stouts etc - won't be an often thing, but the option will be welcome. (basically a different spout for the tap and a bottle/regulator for the gas)

Nothing beats pouring a Guinness (I actually prefer nitro Kilkenny - which I'll be doing) properly.

58 minutes ago, Renton said:

Definitely agree the bottling and waiting process gets old pretty quick.

That's what made me give up - the "Beer droid" system only did 10l at a time and was a PITA to clean up and bottle.

I'll use the droids moving forward to make my own "small batches" and also for the nitro stouts, porters and reds etc, but they'll be straight to the keg - zero secondary to carb up etc.

Will also use the 10l's for random stuff like ciders, ginger beer and alco lemonade etc

If you had an interest in brewing before - definitely look into it again with kegs.

Cheap ($50??) local gumtree freezer, couple of taps ($20ea??), disconnects ($40??) fittings and lines ($$fark all), kegs ($40ea 2nd hand??) etc

CO2 bottle and regulator you're all good

As an early "brew my own" I reckon it'll cost me $20 a slab (to put it into normal speak) for my beer moving forward max - will get cheaper as I get better

They'll also be quality/flavour of the slabs that are normally $60+

$20 for me to invite the mates round - pour cold beer off the tap - change kegs for a different brew etc.

Damn - that'll be cheap (especially when I put up the "Tip-Jar $2 Pint" ) :P

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 3d

starting to venture away from consoles and explore PC gaming. 

so bought on eof these:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-helios300-series

https://www.logitechg.com/en-my/product/g403-prodigy-wireless-gaming-mouse

https://www.logitechg.com/en-au/product/g533-wireless-gaming-headset

crazy that headphones can create full surround. so cool to listen to

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Very nice :)

Only time consoles win is for any exclusives that aren't on PC - otherwise PC 100% of the time.

27 minutes ago, Panda Eyes said:

crazy that headphones can create full surround. so cool to listen to

Hehe - definitely something that needs to be heard to be appreciated :)

Movies and games in full surround sound through the PC using headphones is awesome. Better sound than most peoples home cinema setups and can use it as loud as you want without waking the household.

• Like 1

• Member For: 6y 14d
22 hours ago, Rab said:

Fermentasaurus?? from Keg-King https://www.keg-king.com.au/fermentasaurus-starter-kit.html.html

It's plastic, but fully pressure capable - has proper gas and liquid disconnect cap on top - something you don't get with the usual bucket fermenters.

The plastic it's made of is meant to be very "non-porous" - shouldn't need much more than a rinse and a sanitise to be ready for the next brew.

Will go to 30+psi safely - I'll keep it around 12 max. Beer will already be mostly carbed once it's kegged rather than having to worry about let it wait a week to take up the CO2.

Fermenting under pressure is meant to let you go quicker, hotter and have keep the esters a non-issue.

Larger at Aussie room temp rather than having to keep it as a mid winter brew should be an option.

$129 plus another $40 or so for the pressure cap option.

The bottle down the bottom lets you remove the trub/sediment mid brew (is a valve stopper) and also lets you add dry hops or finishers without exposing any of the brew to oxygen - remove bottle, empty crap, sanitise, purge with co2, add hops etc, reconnect, open valve.

Lets you also take the yeast cleanly to harvest for a next brew.

Going the pressure cap option it lets me keg the brew from the top rather than from the bottom - float and tube draw it from the top rather than draining it.

Straight from fermentor to keg - no need to worry about secondary etc - all the crap stays at the bottom, only the good stuff is taken from the top.

Got 4 19l Kegs 2nd hand and a 10l one. Also got a 4l "growler" (not all through "keg-king")

That should give me a few beer options on tap at a time, the 10l for the "small batch"/experiments and the growler (about 12 stubbies) to take out the back or to a mates place - all of those filled under pressure, fully carbed and zero chance of degradation.

Also got the nitro setup to run stouts etc - won't be an often thing, but the option will be welcome. (basically a different spout for the tap and a bottle/regulator for the gas)

Nothing beats pouring a Guinness (I actually prefer nitro Kilkenny - which I'll be doing) properly.

That's what made me give up - the "Beer droid" system only did 10l at a time and was a PITA to clean up and bottle.

I'll use the droids moving forward to make my own "small batches" and also for the nitro stouts, porters and reds etc, but they'll be straight to the keg - zero secondary to carb up etc.

Will also use the 10l's for random stuff like ciders, ginger beer and alco lemonade etc

If you had an interest in brewing before - definitely look into it again with kegs.

Cheap ($50??) local gumtree freezer, couple of taps ($20ea??), disconnects ($40??) fittings and lines ($$fark all), kegs ($40ea 2nd hand??) etc

CO2 bottle and regulator you're all good

As an early "brew my own" I reckon it'll cost me $20 a slab (to put it into normal speak) for my beer moving forward max - will get cheaper as I get better

They'll also be quality/flavour of the slabs that are normally $60+

$20 for me to invite the mates round - pour cold beer off the tap - change kegs for a different brew etc.

Damn - that'll be cheap (especially when I put up the "Tip-Jar $2 Pint" ) :P

Thanks for all the info! 

Although brewing does interest me, I don't drink anymore. If I ever take it up again I'll know who to hassle with questions :longlaugh:

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
24 minutes ago, Renton said:

Although brewing does interest me, I don't drink anymore.

Give it time - you've only been on the forum a couple of months - you'll be reaching for a cold one eventually :P

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 18d

Sick of my ute being in peices, decided cooler pipes are getting done properly this time.
Picked up a set of 3" plazmaclamps to go with the turbosmart 50mm BOVs. Getting the new cooler piping fabbed up later this week.

IUFROte.jpg

Hopefully turns out kinda like this but 3" not 3.5".

9YVBsRM.jpg

2Ljos4l.jpg

• Like 6