wilba Member 828 Member For: 17y 10m 26d Gender: Male Posted 14/10/11 05:03 AM Posted 14/10/11 05:03 AM Well I was hoping sum one knows so I didn't have to pull it out for no reason
PHANTMXR6 It's not a MKI! Member 1,742 Member For: 18y 3m 8d Gender: Male Location: Earth Posted 14/10/11 12:32 PM Posted 14/10/11 12:32 PM Well I was hoping sum one knows so I didn't have to pull it out for no reasonYes there is a screen in the oil supply line to the turbo in the FG engines.Have you not been through this thread? Plenty of reference to the FG screen.
Impellor Member 835 Member For: 16y 2m 8d Gender: Not Telling Posted 14/10/11 12:54 PM Posted 14/10/11 12:54 PM Ok just a little more info. The oil filter screen is rated at 70 microns, the earls inline filter is rated at 85 microns and a good quality oil filter is rated at 25-30 microns. In conclusion I suggest that no filter is required after initial run in, and as there is an oil restrictor in the line located before the turbo, excessive flow is not an issue. Cheers
riptide Member 733 Member For: 15y 8m 10d Gender: Male Location: Auckland, New Zealand Posted 25/11/11 08:52 AM Posted 25/11/11 08:52 AM I think I will be taking the filter out this weekend. I was thinking that if you REALLY wanted a filter in the system it might be an idea to use a remote mounted screw on replaceable filter like you often see with an oil cooler. Do they handle pressure or are they only for return oil?
1600dave Legacy Donating Member 872 Member For: 15y 8m 18d Posted 25/11/11 09:39 AM Posted 25/11/11 09:39 AM that's the idea with the earls type lines, easily unscrew the conveniently located filter from the housing, either clean or replace the filter element.
riptide Member 733 Member For: 15y 8m 10d Gender: Male Location: Auckland, New Zealand Posted 25/11/11 06:39 PM Posted 25/11/11 06:39 PM True, but if you had a full size filter it would never block up and it could be changed for $10 instead of cleaned.
bjcrown Legacy Donating Member 182 Member For: 20y 11m 9d Posted 25/11/11 10:05 PM Posted 25/11/11 10:05 PM I guess we all need to ensure our oil is clean so that no crap goes into the turbo.Has anyone here changed their sump bolt to a "magnetic" one?What are you thoughts on this?
FGMAN Member 70 Member For: 14y 11m 30d Posted 28/11/11 08:18 AM Posted 28/11/11 08:18 AM I have the EARLS filter kit on on FG, im pretty happy with the kit, though I removed the banjo and what not from the block and fitted the earls kit in place, im unsure of where the stock screen is,
1600dave Legacy Donating Member 872 Member For: 15y 8m 18d Posted 29/11/11 08:03 AM Posted 29/11/11 08:03 AM True, but if you had a full size filter it would never block up and it could be changed for $10 instead of cleaned. The turbo's supply is after the engines oil filter as mentioned a heap of times, so you'd be best just removing the factory mesh in the turbo line.
riptide Member 733 Member For: 15y 8m 10d Gender: Male Location: Auckland, New Zealand Posted 06/12/11 06:31 AM Posted 06/12/11 06:31 AM Mesh strainer removed, new custom oil line fitted....no filter
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now