ROLMDL role model Member 1,111 Member For: 20y 6m 19d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne,S.E Posted 30/04/06 10:34 AM Posted 30/04/06 10:34 AM Hey urslowyea I did the same thing as DRKXR6I just spray my intercooler with some chrome spray paint from autobarn, and looks good I get the looks from everyone they all ask me did I change the intercooler I just say YES hahaha but it really the stock intercooler lol, I got a picture for you to see what it looks like hope this helped.
XRT8U Member 503 Member For: 22y 2m Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 30/04/06 10:47 AM Posted 30/04/06 10:47 AM Yeah everyone thinks I have upgraded the intercooler to! Changes the whole look of the front end!
urslow Resident golf buggy drift champion Legacy Donating Member 815 Member For: 20y 11m 10d Location: Lismore NSW Posted 30/04/06 11:14 AM Posted 30/04/06 11:14 AM That looks maaaaaad And ford wont care for warranty except the warranty on the paint of the I/c lolDave
XRT8U Member 503 Member For: 22y 2m Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 30/04/06 11:39 AM Posted 30/04/06 11:39 AM This is my factory intercooler and I have spayed it! ←A few questions.....1. What paint did u sue??2. How did u do it??3. What about paint getting in the fins (Or whatever they are called) ??4. How s the paint holding up ?? Flaking??5. Did u strip back the old paint or use undercoat??Dave←1. Spray Paint2. Took intercooler off3. Was told it would't affect the IC4. Has Been on since last october and looks good as new!5. No striping or undercoat, just sprayed straight on! Hope this helps
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 5d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 30/04/06 04:57 PM Posted 30/04/06 04:57 PM There are a couple of threads on this, some with pictures...I used a can of "Truck Care Liquid Chrome" from supercrap auto, masked up the front bar and gave it about 3 coats of paint... looks bling
Bain Member 827 Member For: 21y 7m Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 30/04/06 10:03 PM Posted 30/04/06 10:03 PM I have removed the matt black paint with 2K thinner .I found that polishing it with any type of metal polish makes it look like The cooler had to be removed all up took about 1.5hrs to do from start to finish.←That looks awsome Elloxrt.. Much better than the painted chrome and stuff.. Looks like I got a little project for one of those rainy days.
Gavin.K Member 288 Member For: 21y 3m 16d Gender: Male Location: sydney Posted 30/04/06 11:22 PM Posted 30/04/06 11:22 PM If you are in sydney I have a contact who is a metal ploisher. He will be able to get it to look mighty fine.I do not know what to do with the fins in the core though mabe paint them forst and then get the rest polished.If you need the contact pm me.Hope this helps.Gavin
God666 Complete Bastard Legacy Donating Member 1,123 Member For: 22y 9m 25d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 01/05/06 12:11 AM Posted 01/05/06 12:11 AM Guys, just be aware that adding additional paint to the IC will decrease its effectiveness. Even though the applied paint is thin, it will work as an insulator and impede effective heat transfer (the whole purpose of the IC). I assume it is an aluminium IC and has been painted with an etch primer black in the factory which is a particularly thin paint coating. An option would be to use a paint stripper to remove the factory paint and leave it plain aluminium. The issue would be to find a paint stripper that does not oxidise the aluminium (many alkalyd based paint strippers really screw up aluminium).
ZAP No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle! Legacy Donating Member 7,935 Member For: 22y 7m 15d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 01/05/06 12:31 AM Posted 01/05/06 12:31 AM Another option would be to sandblast the cooler and then paint it clear.The sandblasting will polish it and the clear will retain the look.Myself, I painted my cooler black so its not noticable.I also get looks as people are not sure if its a tranny or not
Paradoxx Colossal Member Member 5,049 Member For: 22y 1m 5d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 01/05/06 03:17 AM Posted 01/05/06 03:17 AM Guys, just be aware that adding additional paint to the IC will decrease its effectiveness. Even though the applied paint is thin, it will work as an insulator and impede effective heat transfer (the whole purpose of the IC). I assume it is an aluminium IC and has been painted with an etch primer black in the factory which is a particularly thin paint coating. An option would be to use a paint stripper to remove the factory paint and leave it plain aluminium. The issue would be to find a paint stripper that does not oxidise the aluminium (many alkalyd based paint strippers really screw up aluminium).←It will not affect the intercooler's operation, you are simply painting the front of the fins which it a minute area of the intercooler's overall surface area... compared to this you are painting probably 1%... really not enough to worry about.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now