biddie_fiddler [IMPULSIV3] Legacy Donating Member 1,374 Member For: 7y 6m 8d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 20/08/20 01:45 AM Posted 20/08/20 01:45 AM I'm looking for people here that have reinforced their diff cradles before and chasing some advice. What did you do? Any challenges? Can you do it with the cradle in the car? I know the IMS solution exists but I'm not paying an arm and a leg for the parts and install on a daily driven rig, if I was chasing big power I'd go this direction My brother is a boily so he'll be doing most of the work #freelabour 🤣🤣 Here's a thread on the issue for reference.
k31th less WHY; more WOT Site Developer 30,119 Member For: 18y 5m 26d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 20/08/20 03:56 AM Posted 20/08/20 03:56 AM the ims option is chump change compared to reinforcing it and having the same result...
biddie_fiddler [IMPULSIV3] Legacy Donating Member 1,374 Member For: 7y 6m 8d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 20/08/20 05:09 AM Author Posted 20/08/20 05:09 AM I fail to see how when steel plate is cheap and the welding is free 😋 Adding steel to an existing structure imo would be way easier (and quicker) than removing the old mount, and installing the IMS hat. The diff hat will need to be removed to install the new one too. Definitely not arguing that the IMS is the better way to go, its just not the way I'm looking at going. Testing the waters and all that 😉
arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 9d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 20/08/20 05:19 AM Posted 20/08/20 05:19 AM Weld and plate it. It can be all free
biddie_fiddler [IMPULSIV3] Legacy Donating Member 1,374 Member For: 7y 6m 8d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 20/08/20 05:28 AM Author Posted 20/08/20 05:28 AM I've seen in the forums that people who have done this before have all done it with the cradle out of the car. I see that this way you can get a whole lot more bracing around the mount. I'm wondering, how much bracing do you think can "easily" be added without taking the cradle out? Reasoning - I've never removed the cradle out of my rig, and I don't have a hoist which would make life a tonne easier. I've seen videos of people doing it without a hoist though. I do have a few jack stands and a couple jacks so with a bit of swearing, beers, and mates I'm sure it's an relatively easy task. Again, looking to make this a day job to keep it off the road as little as possible.
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 8m 7d Gender: Not Telling Posted 20/08/20 05:31 AM Posted 20/08/20 05:31 AM (edited) 11 minutes ago, arronm said: Weld and plate it. It can be all free As slow as your car is, you're right. OP it'll take two thirds of fark all to weld some plate across it. If your bro is gonna do it then let him decide what he's gonna do. Edited 20/08/20 05:31 AM by Puffwagon 1
biddie_fiddler [IMPULSIV3] Legacy Donating Member 1,374 Member For: 7y 6m 8d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 20/08/20 05:43 AM Author Posted 20/08/20 05:43 AM Yea 12 minutes ago, Puffwagon said: OP it'll take two thirds of fark all to weld some plate across it. If your bro is gonna do it then let him decide what he's gonna do. Yea true, from experience boily's don't like engineers telling them what to do 😉😂 1
gaz097 Legacy Donating Member 1,752 Member For: 15y 2m 15d Posted 20/08/20 05:53 AM Posted 20/08/20 05:53 AM Looks like mine cracked with previous owner then they just badly plated it still in the car going by the vertical up style welds on it. Still going strong to this day even with my abuse. 1
arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 9d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 20/08/20 01:53 PM Posted 20/08/20 01:53 PM 8 hours ago, Puffwagon said: As slow as your car is, you're right. OP it'll take two thirds of fark all to weld some plate across it. If your bro is gonna do it then let him decide what he's gonna do. Both of my F6 are faster than your territory.
biddie_fiddler [IMPULSIV3] Legacy Donating Member 1,374 Member For: 7y 6m 8d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 21/08/20 12:03 AM Author Posted 21/08/20 12:03 AM Thanks for letting me know! How does this help me further my knowledge in reinforcing a diff cradle though?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now