Puffwagon's Territory Adventures

Puffwagon

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 27d

The oil pump cap screws aka bolts all came loose. One or more came out and lodged in the timing chain which snapped it. That is what happened.

• Sad 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 16d

Those bloody oil pump cap screws... I'm surprised there isn't a better solution for them out there, as yet... perhaps not a common failure, but they seem weak.

• 2 months later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Oh yeah I nearly forgot...I pulled a valve spring off to remove a bent valve. The valve then decided it was not coming out without destroying the valve guide. Looks like I'm gonna be replacing the valve guides at some point in the future.

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Slight update, not that I'm planning anything right now.

Fully disassembled the head, it's all good, just needs valves and valve guides.

Fully disassembled the bottom end and results are mostly good. Good news is all the bearings look great, there's some pressure marks on a couple of them but that is normal when you have it cranked up. The oil film has stayed intact on all of them and there is almost no wear so happy days. The crank looks as good as it ever has so yerp. Pistons all look good except number 5. The second ring has a small amount broken off it and has deposited itself onto the ring land. Again not a big deal cos I can file the sh*t off the piston and it'll be sorted. I have some spare rings there so if I use the pistons again I'll just chuck the spare ring in it. I haven't measured them but they had minimal work since last time so should be ok still. The small ends are all still moving fine so all good there.

The block looks the same as last time so not much to report there. All in all pretty good except the ring issue. I'll open the gaps up a bit more as I did have it up over 40psi a few times.

It'll be fixed one day boys :declare:

• Like 5

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

It should run a 9 with it's current power level providing I can get it to launch hard enough.

Not sure on the upper limit of 98. It's already made 480awkw on 98 with a much smaller turbo so I suppose 500+ isn't out of the question. Last time I tried turning it down I got it to E20 and the minimum boost was 30psi, so I probably can't run 98 until I have more wastegate.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...