Regany New Member 22 Member For: 7y 3m 29d Posted 03/04/20 04:02 AM Author Posted 03/04/20 04:02 AM Thanks for the info mate appreciate I've got a cousin that's a sparky I'll get him to help, do u have to modify the cradle quite a bit to get a 460 to fit ?
BoostedG6E Member 112 Member For: 8y 5m 7d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 03/04/20 04:15 AM Posted 03/04/20 04:15 AM No worries man let me know if you have any questions along the way [emoji106]I don’t think it’s needed because no one ever told me I had to do it, but I was not comfortable with how tight the filter was when it came together with the cradle so I trimmed this abit which gave me some play.
bupalooga Legacy Donating Member 262 Member For: 13y 11m 24d Gender: Male Location: Griffith NSW Posted 03/04/20 04:59 AM Posted 03/04/20 04:59 AM I put a walbro 460 in over 2 yrs ago with no wiring or regulator mods and my fuel pressure gauge has never shown any pressure fluctuation. 300rwkw fg turbo
Regany New Member 22 Member For: 7y 3m 29d Posted 03/04/20 05:32 AM Author Posted 03/04/20 05:32 AM Sweet mate cheers mate I'll let you know how I go after this lockdown is over in 2 weeks time hopfully wish I bought all the parts before hand only have the pump no wiring or reg
OZYWALKER XR50T Legacy Donating Member 2,795 Member For: 13y 4m 29d Gender: Male Location: Western Sydney Posted 05/04/20 07:49 AM Posted 05/04/20 07:49 AM with the lower amount of amps being pulled by the stock wiring, the pressure doesn't get ridiculous... if you upgrade the wiring of course that's likely to happen.@k31th Mate that's a dumb answer.An electric motor will pull all the amps it wants to depending on load on it. These cars don't have voltage or speed regulators.Yea the thing may cook the stock harness before fuel becomes an issue but it shouldn't be used as a safety that's for sure.A 460 or similar pump needs a wiring upgrade and a fuel pressure reg at a minimum.
arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 3d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 05/04/20 08:03 AM Posted 05/04/20 08:03 AM Its not his fault, he has limited knowledge on most subjects. But occasionally he gets it more right than wrong. 1
k31th less WHY; more WOT Site Developer 30,111 Member For: 18y 5m 20d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 05/04/20 08:20 AM Posted 05/04/20 08:20 AM On 03/04/2020 at 3:59 PM, bupalooga said: I put a walbro 460 in over 2 yrs ago with no wiring or regulator mods and my fuel pressure gauge has never shown any pressure fluctuation. 300rwkw fg turbo 29 minutes ago, OZYWALKER said: @k31th Mate that's a dumb answer. An electric motor will pull all the amps it wants to depending on load on it. These cars don't have voltage or speed regulators. Yea the thing may cook the stock harness before fuel becomes an issue but it shouldn't be used as a safety that's for sure. A 460 or similar pump needs a wiring upgrade and a fuel pressure reg at a minimum. that's not what I was saying, though... nowhere did I say it should be used as a safety, all I said is that at lower power levels (lower fuel flow and lower amps for the wiring) it's a fairly safe situation, as per what bupalooga said in his REAL WORLD example.
OZYWALKER XR50T Legacy Donating Member 2,795 Member For: 13y 4m 29d Gender: Male Location: Western Sydney Posted 05/04/20 08:29 AM Posted 05/04/20 08:29 AM Not fairly safe mate.Not good at all, stock wiring is pissweak and will melt with decent pumps.Not even worth saying it is ok.I've seen aftermarket harnesses melt when they're rated for these replacement pumps. Size your wiring for the pumps full load and allow for the meterage that's required. It's not worth skimping out on. 1
El Andrew Legacy Donating Member 2,040 Member For: 11y 5m 7d Gender: Male Location: Canberra ACT Posted 05/04/20 09:03 AM Posted 05/04/20 09:03 AM Doesn't the pump run flat out regardless of the power? Just means more fuel coming back via the return. So a 460 is working just as hard in a 300kw car as a 400kw car? 2
Slowxr6t Member 593 Member For: 7y 9m 26d Location: New zealand Posted 05/04/20 09:05 AM Posted 05/04/20 09:05 AM I put in a kpm 700hp in tank fuel pump, it's a 540lph pump, comes with a replacement higher flow regulator and it drops straight in and plugs straight in. No mods required, I was very suspicious about it frying the wiring and plugs and quizzed them about it, they assured me they had the package sorted and had done all the r&d. I fitted it myself no worries.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now