Barra build in the U.S.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

What flywheel bolts did you use. Did you check the lenght. These can be a bit of an issue with these engines. Loctate each individually??

Have you got a forged balancer. ??

GtycJlO.jpg

Edited by arronm

• Member For: 8y 11m 21d
On 18/12/2019 at 11:50 PM, SelectivePC said:

Oh yeah, it was going to be Turbo from the start. I'm wanting too see how far I can push it on stock rods. Once its running it will be getting a built bottom end. Then the real fun will begin.

Definitely follow the wise suggestions from the lads above. No point break the engine to see how much it takes to break it. There's multiple heartbreaking stories in amongst these pages of this forum of guys and tuners who have reached for the sky only to come crashing back down to earth with a fist sized hole in there engine block.

Save ya cash for some good tyres and multiple sets, because ya gonna need them when ya turn up the boost on these barra engines.

• Member For: 5y 6m 25d
On 20/12/2019 at 2:55 PM, arronm said:

What flywheel bolts did you use. Did you check the lenght. These can be a bit of an issue with these engines. Loctate each individually??

Have you got a forged balancer. ??

GtycJlO.jpg

These were supplied with the transmission adapter kit, 10.9 on the bolt head so just a metric grade 8. Planning on using ARP stuff now that they are out, which ill be getting too in the next post, to answer your balancer question.

On 19/12/2019 at 10:22 AM, MaStars said:

Yeah there is really no point windowing a Block just to test the NA Barra bottom end. As mentioned it has been "tested" many times before ;). 400RWHP is about the limit of a NA Bottom end and early Turbo Motors, and about 600-700RWHP for the later BF FG turbo bottom ends. you can push them more but IMO its not worth the risk for longevity. Gas motors bottom ends also handle quite a bit more than the NA motors as well.

So it happened, I talked to the engine builder and it is currently at this shop torn apart. He is extremely excited about this build too say the least. Took me 25 mins took disconnect everything with my buddies help, and load it into the truck.

a3wvi0m.jpg

jxBjb1i.jpg

IlgPuf3.jpg

mIo9xkx.jpg

So time too prep for some paint in the bay, and powder coat the suspension stuff, while I wait. Wish me luck.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
  • Member For: 5y 6m 25d

Ok, another update to the project that never stops. Big things have happened since the last update. Engine build was completed in June, and engine started in July. Once it was running I have finished most of the remaining fab work since then and now that wiring is complete the cage and going for paint soon. 

bnVZsHi - Imgur.jpg

f1vAQg1 - Imgur.jpg

OnPVKNL - Imgur.jpg

5KF44eH - Imgur.jpg

HDcSC5z - Imgur.jpg

N9umjMg - Imgur.jpg

7AOH6YV - Imgur.jpg

dWD0bZI - Imgur.jpg

PJCON3z - Imgur.jpg

Ut5X5bS - Imgur.jpg

F58qdwS - Imgur.jpg

Edited by SelectivePC