El Andrew Legacy Donating Member 2,040 Member For: 11y 5m 14d Gender: Male Location: Canberra ACT Posted 28/04/18 10:10 AM Author Posted 28/04/18 10:10 AM Yeah I fully compressed it to test before fitting and it was all good. Problem is of course you can't actually confirm that once it's in the tank.Ultimately I'd prefer a more conventional setup, but waiting for some corrugated hose to come in the post isn't going to get me to work on Monday. Swapping the hose out sometime would be a comparatively quick job.I don't really like the approach of cutting the hose to length as a straight piece. Seems to me it would be a very fine margin between the pump sitting too high (hose too short) to or the hose kinking (hose too long).
Box stock T. Member 1,384 Member For: 11y 5m 29d Posted 28/04/18 11:48 AM Posted 28/04/18 11:48 AM You can buy the 255 walbro in a direct replacement kit which jet pictured. Take out the stock pot and pump, install the new high flow pot and pump. Job done.
arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 9d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 28/04/18 12:21 PM Posted 28/04/18 12:21 PM Straight drop-in, I reckon steer clear of the big high pods,. No spastic hoses. Modified return. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FALCON-BA-BF-XR6-TURBO-GT-P-XR8-FPV-WALBRO-GSS341-PERFORMANCE-FUEL-PUMP/282622931073?hash=item41cda3b081:g:5~wAAOSwOTVZmpOI 5 hours ago, El Andrew said: Spot the difference.
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 8m 7d Gender: Not Telling Posted 28/04/18 12:33 PM Posted 28/04/18 12:33 PM You can measure how long the hose has to be by inserting the pot into the tank and using a ruler to check the gap when it's not depressed. I did that and it worked fine. It has to be accurate though otherwise it will kink or pull the hose. It might take a few attempts. There is no point buying a "high flow pot" assembly as you can mod a stock pot well enough and just keep the fuel level high enough. If you're going to spend money make sure to spend lots just once on something worthwhile. I have a 460 in a modded stock pot which is all you need until you do a "proper" external system. It supported over 20psi on e85. I just looked at that link above and that would be fine if you didn't already have a pump. Super easy with no stuffing around. That's my thoughts and as always there's more than one way to skin a cat.
k31th less WHY; more WOT Site Developer 30,118 Member For: 18y 5m 26d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 28/04/18 01:01 PM Posted 28/04/18 01:01 PM I bought that one in the link with my red car (with a 255 pump in it)... super fail because the system apparently caused a fair pressure increase that the tuner had to fix with "trade secrets" at 45min or so of work to fix it... haha
El Andrew Legacy Donating Member 2,040 Member For: 11y 5m 14d Gender: Male Location: Canberra ACT Posted 28/04/18 01:02 PM Author Posted 28/04/18 01:02 PM You can measure how long the hose has to be by inserting the pot into the tank and using a ruler to check the gap when it's not depressed. I did that and it worked fine. It has to be accurate though otherwise it will kink or pull the hose. It might take a few attempts.Thanks guys. Maybe I'll give this a try rather than buying different hose.Having said that, there's probably no real reason why my approach won't work fine now that it's in. It's not like you can see it! I'm sure I read in another thread about someone looping the hose to avoid kinks. I'll be watching my AFRs closely of course.The kits that are drop in have a Walbro pump, but look like just a cheapo cradle. I feel like I'd rather have some control over the quality of hose, etc. and so like the idea of using the stock cradle rather than paying more for something that might be a backward step in the long run.
arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 9d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 28/04/18 01:03 PM Posted 28/04/18 01:03 PM (edited) I too have 460 in modded factory pod. Not a fan of the big pod, too high for the fuel to fill over the top when the tank gets low. I also have a surge with single pierberg , but soon to be twin as 1 isn't enough on E85. Single 460 will make high 400 on 98. 6 minutes ago, k31th said: I bought that one in the link with my red car (with a 255 pump in it)... super fail because the system apparently caused a fair pressure increase that the tuner had to fix with "trade secrets" at 45min or so of work to fix it... haha Trade secret = enlarges the fuel return orifice,in the pod. Edited 28/04/18 01:04 PM by arronm
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 8m 7d Gender: Not Telling Posted 28/04/18 01:11 PM Posted 28/04/18 01:11 PM Hey if it works it works. My pc is held together with beer caps and kicks ass.
Box stock T. Member 1,384 Member For: 11y 5m 29d Posted 28/04/18 01:12 PM Posted 28/04/18 01:12 PM Cradles are identical to stock cradles. Mine is exactly what is in double r's post and it has been flawless. Been running strong for over two years. I would definitely prefer something that is the same as what you remove instead of something that ya hoping won't be a problem. DIY is definitely alot cheaper though. That said the drop in pots are even more DIY. They are a real easy install once ya have the fuel line removal tools.
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 8m 7d Gender: Not Telling Posted 28/04/18 01:20 PM Posted 28/04/18 01:20 PM 13 minutes ago, arronm said: Single 460 will make high 400 on 98. It'll go a sh*tload more than that. I didn't run out of fuel on e85, 22psi, gen2 gtx3582r, 6500rpm, zorst, intake etc etc.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now