Rab

NZ Cruise 2018. Sept 8-15, South Island

Milford Sound is a good whole day trip from Queenstown I think.  I was gonna do it but work took up half my day on the day I planned for it last year so had to leave it for another time.

I think found it hard to get any fuel anywhere in between large towns - and I was only looking for 91 RON.  Like I wouldn't have had enough fuel to make it back to Queenstown on one tank when I went out to the west coast through Hass Pass (but the little Toyota only had a 55 litre tank I think).  Thank goodness for this little gas station just by before the coast.  Might be worthwhile investing in a cheap 10 litre jerry can if you plan on using 98RON ...

I think having a manual would be fun on those roads.  I'm not a fan of how high the brake pedal sits on Mercs.

September gonna be super busy at work due to special project so I'll have to give this one a miss as much as I'd like to go.  Hope you and mates have a good one :thumbsup:

Cheers Gary,

A can or 2 is a great idea.

Think it's about 3 hours to Milford from Queenstown.

Am thinking of head to Invercargil from there, then cut across to the West Coast after Dunedin on the way north.

Do as much of the west coast as is comfy to get to Christchurch in time Weds.

Overnight trip to Nelson then back to Christchurch for Friday night, Fly out Sat.

I'd probably say go that same way I did on the maps but stay in Milford Sound on the way.  You could even spend a whole day there and go sight seeing.

I'm Jet ski racing in Chch on 9th of Sept also (as long as I get back from overseas in time) and then would be quite keen to join you guys for day trips or whatever is going on at that stage.

Hope that helps a little more.

Well I've got it ready to go so when I get back from overseas and we meet up I can get the thing out.

20180823_150229.jpg

Excellent :)

Where would be the best place to catch up with you?

We're in Christchurch on the Weds. SW before that, NE or North after that

You've got my number so send your NZ 1 through when your in country and then I'll figure out when I will catch you guys.  Might drive down to meet somewhere depending where you are.  Otherwise in Chch we will definitely meet up.

What car you got from Qtown?

27 minutes ago, Wenier said:

What car you got from Qtown?

Will be taking the AMG CLS55 for the full week

Nice even more reason to find you guys when your doing some good roads.

Have you got a general idea of route and dates of where you'll be?

Thanks for that :)

Have asked the rental guy if there's anywhere we should be conscious of for fuel and if a jerry can would be a good idea.

Yea we are unfortunately limited on 98 in this country.  only at BP and not all stations have it.  My range is a bit limited at moment as it doesn't appear to want to lean out in cruise properly and haven't been able to figure it out so I'll be very conscious of this.  wouldn't think jerry can should be needed, I'd hope the AMG would get you between stations.

Plenty of 98 in the north island as its available at BP, mobile and gull . Just the south island that gets the raw prawn.

What sort of times to the servo's close?

We likely to get stranded after 5pm on the West Coast?

Depends where you are.  little town probably earlier than you'd expect.  Greymouth should be at least 10pm I would think, that is a guess though.

Cheers.

Queenstown to Milford return - about 600kms direct with the only 98 showing being the one in QT

QT to Greymouth - about 550kms direct with no other 98 options showing.

Might get a jerry can just in case ;)

Detours, sightseeing, firm right foot etc and have no idea how much the car drinks.

Well, only a few more days before we fly out.

Looking forward to (hopefully) getting to meet a couple of Kiwi's while touring.

@Wenier, @nzti325, @hawlass, @tichman etc (and anyone else) - will post here when I've got a better idea of the plans once we're on the ground. Yell out if keen on a catchup or cruise.

Christchurch => Nelson => Christchurch loop on Weds, Thurs, Friday arvo or Sat Morning is a possible run to join up with if it works for any of you.

Only real fixed point I have is Christchurch weds some time to drop off one of the guys for a conference.

If anyone would be looking to catch up for the Queenstown or West Coast legs let me know here ASAP so I know to put together some definite plans.

Will PM anyone interested my NZ mobile number (once I get one).

Feel free to suggest any dates and locations and I'll try and work around to making it join up :)

Hope you have a good trip Rab :thumbsup:

I usually pick up a prepaid SIM at the airport in Queenstown but I haven't been to Christchurch for maybe 8 years now but guessing should be able to do same there.  I usually go Vodafone in NZ for my voice prepaid SIM for my smartphone.  But no matter what - data is expensive over there relatively speaking. Spark is also good for coverage as well.  I'd avoid 2degrees as their coverage is not as good as Vodafone and Spark in rural areas. Locals will have opinions as well.  I think whitebait season starts soon?

6 hours ago, EvilDaifu said:

I usually pick up a prepaid SIM at the airport in Queenstown but I haven't been to Christchurch for maybe 8 years now

Just checked.

Using my normal Telstra number and their international day pass:

$5 a day unlimited calls/text (local and international)

200mb a day.

$10 for each 500mb after that. 500mb rolls over, the daily 200mb doesn't.

May get a Voda prepay, 4gb, $38

5 hours ago, hawlass said:

Were turning on nice weather for ya too Rab , if you like 1*c and snow...

Have been keeping an eye on the snowcams ;)

Definitely send through whatever number and I'll get in touch might catch ya on coast somewhere from Monday onwards.

It's tuesday night now in Prague and we start our journey back tomorrow Wednesday at 1415.  Expect to back in chch about 9am Friday.

Spark have best coverage followed by Vodafone and then 2 degrees who have improved a lot.

2 hours ago, Wenier said:

Definitely send through whatever number and I'll get in touch might catch ya on coast somewhere from Monday onwards.

PM sent