2015 Focus R S

discostig

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 27d

I got an email from ford in regards to the new sprint and xr6 turbo.

right at the bottom of the email in small writing, it suggest that the figures were tested using ron95 for both cars...

Like wtf? seriously?

what figures will the car get if ron 98 is used.

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 11m 23d

If the ecu is calibrated on 95 then no extra power masda

98 doesnt add power, its just more resistant too knock so you can throw more timing at an engine and make more power.

that's why our cars make huge gains from a tune only

They are calibrated for a lower quality fuel so when you tune specifically for 98 you get a power increase

Side note

Im not a fan of 98 at all

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 1d
3 hours ago, MattyP said:

For the same price you can get an FGX XR8...

I know which one I'd prefer..

Think we are in the minority here Matty....most people on here seem to think its hideous and 'ugly' 

Gunna laugh in a few years time when they change their tune and say...actually its not too bad....like many have done with the original FG 

2 hours ago, masda74 said:

I got an email from ford in regards to the new sprint and xr6 turbo.

Did you sign up to a mailing list or something? Your DP suggest you're still in love with getting a mustang....oh wait you cant cause you decided to be a family man :P

• Like 1

• Member For: 10y 5m 7d

If the ecu is calibrated on 95 then no extra power masda

98 doesnt add power, its just more resistant too knock so you can throw more timing at an engine and make more power.

that's why our cars make huge gains from a tune only

They are calibrated for a lower quality fuel so when you tune specifically for 98 you get a power increase

Side note

Im not a fan of 98 at all

ford seems to be getting cleverer with this, seen some comparisons of the FOST from the states on different fuels, on 89 it made less than stock, filled it up to 93 and it took a few runs bit gradually it started to come up run after run. So no idea what the strategy is but it wasnt knocking on 89, but doesnt have an octane sensor or anything of the like....so does the pcm just take a chance now and again and see what sort of timing it can get away with? had it been knocking and pulling timing on 89 I wouldnt be so perplexed. Car had be running on 89 for a full tank...seems like it learns, but now and again checks to see if it will get away with more, I imagine in small increments. Dunno just guessing, but definitely seems like theyre strategies are getting more complex

and yep, their petrol options are pretty crap, think 93 is their premium. However they have way more ethanol blends than we do and better avialibility.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2m 15d
31 minutes ago, barnz said:

and yep, their petrol options are pretty crap, think 93 is their premium. However they have way more ethanol blends than we do and better avialibility.

In the US they use a different index - AKI not RON

Google search tells me rule of thumb is 0.95 x octane RON number to give their AKI (anti knock index) equivalent number

93 / 0.95 = approx 98 so same as us

Seems that AKI comes from a mix of both RON and MON (motor octane number) system formulas

Weird

Edited by camo86T
  • Like 3

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 11m 23d

Yeah their 93 is our 98

The ecu has several protection strategies like for IATs, water temp and knock

Essentially the knock sensor detects knock and starts pulling timing.

Its not advised to use the solely as a way of tuning but allows you to get around if necessary on a lower octane fuel