discostig Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday Legacy Donating Member 13,798 Member For: 18y 10m 9d Gender: Male Location: Probably above atmospheric pressure Posted 06/03/13 11:53 AM Posted 06/03/13 11:53 AM 2x2.5 has slightly (like a few %) more flow area than single 3.5. We all remember how to calculate area of a circle right? Pi * r^2?As mentioned there is more surface area though. I think the actual design of the system as a whole will make the difference, eg mufflers, again as already mentioned. 2
Paulie2256 Legacy Donating Member 7,441 Member For: 17y 10m 12d Gender: Male Location: SE Melbourne Posted 06/03/13 12:28 PM Posted 06/03/13 12:28 PM Doesn't the twin 2.5" tuck up better under the car? I <3 Bananas ye it does. If it wasn't for the massive cat it would almost be the same as stock. 1
Kosij Legacy Donating Member 2,045 Member For: 15y 1m 23d Gender: Male Posted 06/03/13 01:16 PM Posted 06/03/13 01:16 PM I remember reading this!hey guys there is another factor u gotta think about the frictional area of the pipeExample one : 2.5" pipe 1 foot long frictional area = 94.24" square Example two : dual 2.5" 1 foot long frictional area = 188.48" squareExample three: 3.5" pipe 1 foot long frictional area = 131.94" squareif u compare a dual 2.5" (9.818 square inches) agains a single 3.5" (9.622 square inches) system the cross section is nearly the same but in a single 3.5" the exhaust gas got less area to " rub " on compared to the dual 2.5" so it will flow better than a dual 2.5" 1
Paulie2256 Legacy Donating Member 7,441 Member For: 17y 10m 12d Gender: Male Location: SE Melbourne Posted 06/03/13 08:20 PM Posted 06/03/13 08:20 PM (edited) You are just trying to justify a whole new exhaust system instead of just getting a muffler replaced under warranty. Hey, you may have not heard they are doing that so I understand.480 has been made and a 9 sec pass on a twin 2.5" so tell me again how it doesn't flow. Edited 06/03/13 08:20 PM by Paulie2256 2
Never had any say Panda I <3 Floods Legacy Donating Member 11,198 Member For: 15y 2m 3d Gender: Male Location: South West QLD Posted 06/03/13 09:37 PM Posted 06/03/13 09:37 PM Also in pipe flow you need to consider a roughness coefficient of the material the pipe is made from.. To determine how much impact the additional surface area has on the flow.. Say concrete pipes have a roughness values of 0.028n.. I can bet polished stainless steel pipe is probably 0.0000000000001n..
unclewal Legacy Donating Member 583 Member For: 16y 14d Posted 06/03/13 11:20 PM Posted 06/03/13 11:20 PM I have twin 2.5 and making 455+ no problems, but in saying that back pressure was tested to be 7psi. For noise it is perfect, nice and quite but still a little bit of noise. In all honesty all you can hear is the intake, the exhaust rarely draws attention and I have been through 3 breathalysers this week alone and the cops are more intrigued by the buzzing of my twin pumps as opposed to the exhaust. It all depends on what you want your car to do and how you will drive it and how much attention you wish to draw.To answer your questions regarding noise it will depend on the material you use either stainless or mild and what mufflers are incorporated into the system, I have found that3.5 is louder as opposed to 2.5. That is comparing my car to the workshops car that had a 3.5inch and mine running a 2.5. Again all comes down to system and muffler setup.As for a tune being required, some say yes some say no, personal I would say yes unless you want your investment on an exhaust to give you a headache later on when your car runs poorly or has poor fuel economy and continues to throw engine lights. There will be some people that will say "nope had an exhaust for 10 years never got it tuned, runs fine". From my point of view, anything that changes flow or intake/exhaust velocity will require atleast a AFR check to make sure its behaving and not going to harm your car.Hope this helps you.
rednose RNS10S Legacy Donating Member 2,229 Member For: 20y 1m 17d Gender: Male Posted 06/03/13 11:43 PM Posted 06/03/13 11:43 PM That sounds about right, not sure how Kosij had more back pressure with less power but may be due to different muffler as SDP pointed out.
cam69 Member 18 Member For: 13y 8m 4d Posted 12/03/13 11:24 PM Posted 12/03/13 11:24 PM I have an FG auto, I have heard (well from google) that the XForce can drone with an automatic. Anyone know if that's true or not?I am facing the exact same dilemma, wanting a catback, not sure if DiFillipo, Redback, XForce or HiTech is the way to go. Wanting a nice deep note without sounding like a bogan doing laps with NO drone - preferably a twin system as I like the look but the key is the deep note and lack of drone...
Bonjaz Legacy Donating Member 1,841 Member For: 17y 9m 26d Gender: Male Location: CQ Posted 13/03/13 12:17 AM Posted 13/03/13 12:17 AM xforce 4" on a sedan auto and I dont think it drones at all, my old 3.5" on my bf droned more
Kosij Legacy Donating Member 2,045 Member For: 15y 1m 23d Gender: Male Posted 13/03/13 12:51 AM Posted 13/03/13 12:51 AM My 3.5" xforce doesn't drone on my ba at all! If anything it's way to quiet
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now