Rusty XR6T Legacy Donating Member 516 Member For: 16y 6m 6d Gender: Male Posted 21/09/10 11:39 PM Posted 21/09/10 11:39 PM I thought I would see if anybody was interested before I did a write up.I have recently installed a Peltier Module (Thermoelectric module) in the wall of my center console.Long story short this module will cool my center console down to 2 degrees or heat my center console up to 50 degrees depending on which way I have the switch.Not sure if anybody has the problem I have with an FG but you just cant keep drinks even semi cold inside the car, doesnt matter if you put them in your door or center cup holders, my drinks are warm within 20 mins.So now my center console can have up to 4 drinks in there and the car will keep them cold or you can put your maccas in there to keep warm while you drive home.The good news is is that you dont loose any space and you cant tell its even there
freeze_dk I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation Legacy Donating Member 8,610 Member For: 20y 9d Gender: Male Posted 21/09/10 11:51 PM Posted 21/09/10 11:51 PM pics?
RHR BOOST Moderating Team 5,698 Member For: 23y 1m 1d Gender: Male Location: Southern Highlands NSW Posted 22/09/10 12:16 AM Posted 22/09/10 12:16 AM Pretty cool mod.
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 12d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 22/09/10 12:19 AM Posted 22/09/10 12:19 AM lol...have contemplated doing the same but what about your ipod?
Rusty XR6T Legacy Donating Member 516 Member For: 16y 6m 6d Gender: Male Posted 22/09/10 12:20 AM Author Posted 22/09/10 12:20 AM (edited) I'll take some pics tonight, there's not much in the center console to take pics of, all the work is hidden between the center console and the center cup holders under the plastic.the ipod may be a tad difficult, easy on my car as I don't have one (I have an iphone for work and all day every day I want to throw it out the window at high speed)The tech specs of apple products state the temp rating is to go quite low so 2 degrees shouldn't be a problem... im not 100% sure on this so happy for someone to prove me wrong.Anyway the main thing is that the actual Ford ipod module sits under the ipod pouch, all parts in the car HAVE to be rated to something like -20 degrees to +85 degrees, so the Ford ipod module is fine, and if you want to make the console cool just dont put your ipod in there, the cooler heater is on a switch so you can turn it off and on when you like.Went for a run last night getting ready for the Melbourne Marathon, so when I left home I put 2 bottles of water in there... got to my location and went for a run, came back to the car 2 hours later and enjoyed a nice cold bottle of water... if yo ask me it paid for itself right there and then.The mod was actually quite cheap, I would say all up with heatsinks, the Peltier module and cabling under $50 Edited 22/09/10 12:29 AM by Rusty XR6T
HIRO F6 Member 1,817 Member For: 17y 8m 17d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane, QLD Posted 22/09/10 12:57 AM Posted 22/09/10 12:57 AM Nothing like cold beers on the run!!!Great idea and would love to see some pics.
Rusty XR6T Legacy Donating Member 516 Member For: 16y 6m 6d Gender: Male Posted 22/09/10 01:10 AM Author Posted 22/09/10 01:10 AM ok well last night it was just chucked in as a proof of concept, tonight I will be pulling it all apart to run proper cabling, switches and thermal cut off.I will get some proper pics of the whole thing then.Hardest part is pulling the center console out, good luck with that one
turbotrana Member 2,586 Member For: 23y 6m 6d Gender: Male Posted 22/09/10 03:54 AM Posted 22/09/10 03:54 AM It should be a factory option. What about condensation
Rusty XR6T Legacy Donating Member 516 Member For: 16y 6m 6d Gender: Male Posted 22/09/10 03:59 AM Author Posted 22/09/10 03:59 AM condensation really depends on humidity, but if and when condensation does occur it can drain out the bottom nicely, the center console is designed to let any liquids spilt drain out anyway
Henz Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag Legacy Donating Member 9,946 Member For: 18y 6m 17d Gender: Male Location: Vic Posted 22/09/10 05:51 AM Posted 22/09/10 05:51 AM I'm interested for sure, will be worth it when I'm on site.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now