Tyre Comparo - Which Ones Are Good?

EvilDaifu

• Idiot Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d

Running 19" 305 Nitto Invo's on my Ute and loving them. Highly recommend these if you can get them. From the heap of other that as been on this Ute and others nothing comes near them. Have not tryed the Toyo R888.

Yep I can get them. They even have the NT05's

WheelBoys - Tyres:Ultramax :

Located in Yatala QLD.

Edited by RynoF6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 19d

Ah, having second thoughts about getting Falken FK452s now - just read a thread in this section about tram-lining as they wear and that Toyo PROXES T1R are similar but don't tram-line and a bit quieter than the Falken FK452s. Yeah, am in the market now for some better grippier tyres :thumbsup:

Anyone know where I can get quotes for Toyo Proxes T1Rs apart from Tirepower?

Edited by EvilDaifu

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 7d

Tram lining???

Never had it happen - whatever it is...

Last night was a good 'cold' test for the Falkens - long in short, took a while to heat up where I was happy to point turn and shoot... but in the end did me proud... not to mention they dont have much left in the rears... just replaced the fronts... so im on my second set!

Last run up the pass (last cruise) was walmer and they gripped like sh*t sticks to a shoe... but was also a better night... More speed from everyone on a dry road...

Again last night - bit touch and go until there was plenty of heat in the rears... and then it was all on!

Still consider a set of Falkens mate - in the end if they are not what your after - its 440$ run em hard and get something different...

Edited by smicky

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

Am leaning back towards the Falken FK452s now :crybaby:

Have just read some UK reviews on the Falken FK452s, Toyo Proxes T1Rs and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics.

Basically, 78% who have tried them said they liked the Falkens, 71% said they liked the Toyos and 83% said they like the Goodyears. But the Falkens are around $220 a corner whereas the Goodyears are around $300 or more a corner. I haven't got a price on the Toyos yet.

Most liked the hard wearing and grip of the Falkens, some said the Toyos had soft side walls which made their ride wobbly and they universally said they didn't last long, and some liked the Goodyears but thought they and the Toyos were pretty useless in the snow (apparently the get a bit of that every year there :shocked: ) What turned me off the Goodyears (and for the extra $400, I'd probably be tempted to use them) was that they got some particular harsh reviews specifically saying to avoid them at all cost for high performance cars. Don't know if they were done by employees of competing tyre makers though :roflmbo:

There was mention that the Falkens don't have rim guards so can be a bit harsh with kerb rash on the alloys. There was mention that the Falkens were better in the dry than in the wet. I guess there were double the reviews for the Falkens compared with the Goodyears because they were more affordable by the common man :+1:

So, yeah, at this stage leaning more toward the Falkens. Gonna check the tread on my Dunlops later. I don't think they are near their wear limit, but want more grip so might just change out to Falkens.

Other advice common on the those UK sites was if you gonna change out - do it to all 4 to get the benefits. Anyway, if you want read the reviews yourself (by everyday motorists not by professional motor journalists or engineers) here they are:

Falken FK452 Reviews - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide

Toyo T1R Reviews - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric Reviews - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide

Edited by EvilDaifu

• ANGEL EYES
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 2d

My Dunlops are still in pretty good condition - think plenty of tread because hardly driven the car (well it is my toy) since I bought it almost a year ago so whatever passed the roadworthy is still there basically. LOL after reading this thread - do you think anybody would be interested in the Dunlops if I changed out to Falkens? I more than likely will probably just leave the Dunlops with the tyre place - unless anybody else has other suggestions?

Keep em for a skid pan day! buttrock.gif

What about KU36's??

Edited by GR8XR6

• ANGEL EYES
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 2d

I'm looking new tyres too aswell as rims. Would like 18's with great tyres like ku36 but then difficult to get staggered rims to clear bigger brakes. So I keep going around in circles. bangcomputer.gif

I'm leaning towards the 19" superhiros and trying out the ku31's at the moment they are a good price for the set from tempetyres.

My local tyre guy swears by the KU36's and he enjoys a bit of drifting..... Actually a lot. He wasn't just trying to sell them to me either. He has them on his car. I was there for mrs car.

beerchug.gif

Edited by GR8XR6

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 8d

I still ike the maxxis maz1, but still slip slide with decent throttle over 3500rpm.... :getlost:

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team

Just read this interesting "historical" forum thread on the Dunlops SP3000s

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=688&view=findpost&p=7055

OK Here is the story.

All standard XR6 and XR6T are Fitted with 235/45R17 SP3000A ( Aust Made). Although I have noticed some of them are now coming out with the SP9000 as well.

If you optioned the 18's you then get 245/40R18 SP9000 ( Japanese Made) this tyre is also available out of Germany but dearer.

The SP3000A IS an assymetrical pattern which can be rotated to any point on the car without the need to remove the tyre from the wheel.

The SP9000 is directional which means you can only rotate your tyres front to rear. Therefore if you want to put your RF on the LR it means you will need to strip the tyres off and turn them around. This is what I would prefer to do even with the SP3000A. In my experience once a tyre has been run in a specific rotational direction for some time it is preferable to keep it rotating that way as opossed to reversing it's direction.

Both of these tyres are excellent products and both are manufactured incorporating the most desireable features in tyre design. I.e a) JLB Jointless Band / Belt overlay B) Silica rich Compounds and Rolling road computer simulation techniques.

The SP3000A was designed by some good friends of mine and has been extensively tested in real world conditions for many thousands of kilometers before being approved for fitment by Ford to The XR Range. Additionally it is the very first 17" tyre to be produced here in OZ.

Edited by EvilDaifu