The Off Topic Thread.

KEN 24T

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

yeah, sick leave... not the end of the world. The missus came back to the house last night when I tested negative haha, but we're still staying apart and masking up when in the same room (but apart) until I get rid of my symptoms completely, just to ensure she doesn't get it.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Thanks @biddie_fiddler

Keep meaning to ask you due to your recent cluster experience. The lower left LED on the speedo keeps playing up. Sometimes it's on with the others, sometimes it's off and sometimes it flickers. I'm guessing it's just a dry solder joint or something.

If I pull the cluster out am I unlikely to be able to access that from the rear of the cluster and dials only come off to remove an LED, or are they completely inaccessible with the dials in place?

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y

@El Andrew sadly you won't be able to access the LEDs without removing the front face plate of the cluster. This is plastic face place that has the lexan vinyl sheet that shows your revs, speed etc.

To remove this you need to remove the dials off the stepper motors. Its built like this from factory because, I'd imagine, they would of had a jig to line up the needles, and then they calibrate them afterwards. 

I mentioned this a while ago and it still stands. If I can work out how to calibrate the needles, I'd be happy to do a complete rundown on fully disassembling and reassembling the dash. Until then, there is no point because you will never get the needles back into the exact same place they were before. If only they were keyed 😞 

On that note. I remember when I reassembled the dash I managed to yank the tacho needle with a cloth when I was cleaning the front of the dash. Turned out I f*cked the stepper motor. Got a 2nd hand dash for $50 and took it apart to use the stepper motors. Replaced it and now its all good again!! Found a brand new replacement online that looks identical but figured I'd use factory parts because at least I know that they'd work. The dash was also an xr50 too, which was a pleasant surprise (identical to mine).

Again, if anyone knows anything about cluster calibration, or knows someone who may now, please let me know. I'd really like to learn how to do it! :) 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y

I got some info from cluster mods and its exactly what I suspected!!!!!! 

He created a custom software that has the CAN data for speed and revs. BA/ BF and FGs all use CAN for this. The service manuals even have the CAN information you need to do this. 

My only concern is that if I connect a dash to external power, a bench power supply for example, that the FG dash will freak out because it won't be able to read any data from the PCM, TCM etc.

Creating a device that goes from USB to CAN isn't all that difficult. But I don't want to lock out my dash, if that's even a thing. luckily I have a spare dash now to try this on, so hopefully I can make a test jig that mimics the speed, revs, fuel, coolant temp, etc so I can properly set the gauges. 

Seems like the process he used was to set a specific rev and speed, and adjust the needle manually until it matches. Slow process, but it'll work.

So far, my dials aren't far off. If my digital speed shows 50km/h, the dial reads 49