Bigger Huffer Fitted

xlnt6

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 6m 21d

Hi All,

In it's previous form, the car made a best of 409 rwkW using the factory turbo at about 18-19 psi. So I figured it was time to up the ante for the BVWII dyno day.

The bigger huffer is now installed. This one is similar to the factory turbo, but has a larger compressor wheel and 0.7 AR front cover. The 100mm intake required some reworking of the surrounding area to allow a comfortable fittment. To do this I converted the PS pump and tank to one with a remote (ie XR8 type tank) and ran the appropriate lines back to the pump and PS cooler. Also I reworked the high pressure line to move the pressure sensor to allow more clearance. I replaced the Nizpro intake casting with a rubber/stainless combo which is 100mm all the way.

The exhaust manifold is reworked to match the flow more closely of each runner and where it goes into the turbo has been re-profiled to aid flow. The whole job took about 12 hours to do, and now it's off to Nizpro on Friday for a re-tune to see if it was worthwhile. I am hoping for a lazy 450 rwkW or so.

I attached a few pics below. BTW, I did all the spanner spinning and fabrication myself !!!

Cheers

Robin.

post-5353-1150288507_thumb.jpg

post-5353-1150288563_thumb.jpg

post-5353-1150288616_thumb.jpg

• Playing with Sports Bikes...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 5m 25d

Robin you are out of control...

That 1.5l Lancer that beat you from the lights on the way to work will have no hope now... :spoton::msm:

Nah... seriously, that is just crazy mate... I'm attempting (and failing) to try and keep up with you and the other boys with Nizpro tuned cars... but god I'm having some fun trying!!!

Jack :blink:

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 29d

Great work Robin.

I think that gets you close to a Nizpro Stage 4.

Around 430-450rwkw sounds about right.

It'll be interesting to see how it spools up, and what the main restriction in the system is moving forward.... I guess the internally 'gated exhaust housing and the exhaust manifold may be next for review, and some mild cams.

Past this point you enter the realm of trading bottom end torque for top end power.

Brian

• Playing with Sports Bikes...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 5m 25d

Have you put in the 3.73's yet Robin?

It must pull through the gears like nothing else... and here I was thinking my car is fast now... well it probably is, but it's not fast, fast... :spoton:

That reminds me... I need bigger brakes now.

Jack :blink:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 19d

Nice. Very nice.

I like the idea of being able to supply the engine with a larger volume of air at less pressure (and heat) to make more power compared to the stock turbo.

What does it drive like?

• Donating Members

Brian,

It'll be interesting to see how it spools up, and what the main restriction in the system is moving forward.... I guess the internally 'gated exhaust housing and the exhaust manifold may be next for review, and some mild cams.

Likewise, as you know I've done some work on the factory exhaust manifold using a homemade flow bench. When I looked at the manifold and did some tests I found the flow of each runner was considerably different due to the design, and I mildly ported it to try and match the flow between each runner. Without making a completely new manifold it is very difficult to improve the factory manifold to improve the overall flow capability. By matching the flow rate of each port more closely the energy contributed by each exhaust pulse is more constant, with the ultimate aim being to counteract some of the loss of spool rate due to the larger turbo wheel.

Here's the results from the flow tests. Note, I can't measure the actual CFM of each port, because I don't have a calibrated orifice in the home brew flowbench, but I can measure a presssure difference (PD) at a constant flowrate and compare that PD for a ported runner to find the delta between them. From this I can calculate the overall % gain in flowrate.

Stock Manifold (Port Matching % from Mean)

Runner 1 +33.3

Runner 2 -42.9

Runner 3 51.0

Runner 4 -47.4

Runner 5 +0.7

Runner 6 +5.3

What this says is that Runner 5 flows approx the Mean flowrate, and the rest either flow more or less than Runner 5 by the figure detailed above. So Runner 3 is flowing 51% more than Runner 5 and Runner 4 is flowing 47% less than Runner 5. One of my main aims was to even up the flows between the ports. After porting the results were:

Ported Manifold (Port Matching % from Mean)

Runner 1 +9.3

Runner 2 -19.9

Runner 3 +46.3

Runner 4 -27.6

Runner 5 -15.6

Runner 6 +7.5

After porting the largest deviation from Mean is still Runner 3 (and if you see the manifold it is clear why this is the case, it's almost direct from the port to the turbo flange). But the other runners are now much more closely matched. All this means the manifold should work better with better energy delivery capability to the turbine.

Here is the outright flowrate change. While this wasn't the aim of the exercise, it's interesting none-the-less.

Stock Manifold vs Ported Manifold (Flowrate Change %)

Runner 1 -6.08

Runner 2 16.65

Runner 3 4.80

Runner 4 15.37

Runner 5 1.82

Runner 6 10.08

Runners All 3.03

The individual runners have gained (except for Runner 1). This is due to the shrouding of Runner 2 and 3 in the original non-ported manifold. Cause these have been de-shrouded to improve their flow, it has degraded flow on Runner 1, but only by a small amount. Runner 1 was outflowing most others anyway, so a small decrease actual helps to even up the flowrate between runners. The overall change is small only 3% or so, but as detailed above this wasn't the aim.

Cheers,

Robin.

• Donating Members
Have you put in the 3.73's yet Robin?

Jack,

It's booked in at Diff Trans for tomorrow, by this time next evening it should have a 3.7 ratio !!!

Cheers

Robin.