Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Lemming No #5
  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 10m 11d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Endeavour Hills, Victoria
Posted
Wet?

What is this strange phenomena?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Queer bas*ard, you have obviously been spenind 2 much time with ken :laughing:

  • fordxr5turbodotcom
  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 11m 25d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Point Cook, Vic
Posted

Good to hear you pulled thru ok and no one was hurt. :laughing:

Given the damage it's good to see that you came out ok... One has to compliment Ford for their build strength... if you were in a tin can Expensive Daewoo things may have been different... actually if you were in a SV6 you wouldnt have had any troubles as they are about as torquey as me on my pushy :D

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 13d
Posted

Glad you are ok. That would qualify as a pretty major incident (Im sure I dont have to tell you that...) and you are very lucky that no-one was injured.

I have written off 2 cars many moons ago. As a consequence I now am much more careful at intersections.

Cars can be replaced, and egos can be patched back up :)

I can imagine that being able to happen in an edited car with not much effort. I spun up the wheels in my standard Mk1 at 145kmh on a wet freeway when I floored it in 3rd gear. Got it nicely out about 30 degrees before I pulled it back in. (Ok, ok, so I could have pulled it back lots earlier but it was controllable and the road was empty!).

90kmh in an edited car would be easy to do no doubt.

A question - was a contributing factor your auto gearbox suddenly dropping down a gear when you accelerated to overtake - suddenly putting you in a gear with a bunch more power/torque?

It could also have been aquaplaning to a degree. Not much you can do when that happens as you are just along for the ride. I would say if it snapped out that fast, it could have been partially aquaplaning, even on a freeway. In that instance nice fat tyres actually make it worse.

I have spun several cars unintentionally due to aquaplaning. One at only 15kmh - there was that little grip that the car spun 180 degrees at that low speed. Amazing.

Dont stress about the fine from the cops. In general the reason they give that to you is that when you pay it, you effectively admit guilt. By admitting guilt, anyone else involved in the accident has proof that it wasnt their fault, and if you were dodgy it would stop you being able to suddenly claim you werent at fault and thus werent going to pay for damage to their cars.

Take it easy for a while...a first major accident can really have an effect on you including several days later. Higher stress levels, nightmares, disturbed sleep and so on. Keep an eye out for it.

One thing I can also say from experience is that major accidents arent nearly so bad the second time around :laughing:

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 9m 19d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast
Posted
Glad you are ok. That would qualify as a pretty major incident (Im sure I dont have to tell you that...) and you are very lucky that no-one was injured.

I have written off 2 cars many moons ago. As a consequence I now am much more careful at intersections.

Cars can be replaced, and egos can be patched back up :)

I can imagine that being able to happen in an edited car with not much effort. I spun up the wheels in my standard Mk1 at 145kmh on a wet freeway when I floored it in 3rd gear. Got it nicely out about 30 degrees before I pulled it back in. (Ok, ok, so I could have pulled it back lots earlier but it was controllable and the road was empty!).

90kmh in an edited car would be easy to do no doubt.

A question - was a contributing factor your auto gearbox suddenly dropping down a gear when you accelerated to overtake - suddenly putting you in a gear with a bunch more power/torque?

It could also have been aquaplaning to a degree. Not much you can do when that happens as you are just along for the ride. I would say if it snapped out that fast, it could have been partially aquaplaning, even on a freeway. In that instance nice fat tyres actually make it worse.

I have spun several cars unintentionally due to aquaplaning. One at only 15kmh - there was that little grip that the car spun 180 degrees at that low  speed. Amazing.

Dont stress about the fine from the cops. In general the reason they give that to you is that when you pay it, you effectively admit guilt. By admitting guilt, anyone else involved in the accident has proof that it wasnt their fault, and if you were dodgy it would stop you being able to suddenly claim you werent at fault and thus werent going to pay for damage to their cars.

Take it easy for a while...a first major accident can really have an effect on you including several days later. Higher stress levels, nightmares, disturbed sleep and so on. Keep an eye out for it.

One thing I can also say from experience is that major accidents arent nearly so bad the second time around  :tease:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was honest with the cop and said that I accelerated and the car let go :tease:

His comment, "came on boost. eh !!"

My comment "Yep"

It did kick down, which is what did the damage :laughing:

I dont believe it was aquaplaning, just a case of too much boost for the wet road and my tires :blink:

Insurance will pay for mine and the other car, also the F^&cking light pole. :laughing:

  • 570Nm @1800rpm
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 13d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth, WA
Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear what happened CSI! But the good news is nobody got hurt.

Wet roads and rear wheel drive dont mix, Turbo or not! Because onec you lose it in the wet there is very little change you can gain control of the car again.

I learnt my leason in my EL while on my P's and have had a few moments in the BA. Thanks good for Traction Control :)

Hope everything works out for you! :laughing:

Edited by XtRmn8
  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 6m 8d
  • Location: Blue Mountains
Posted

Wow dude. Sorry to hear about this. Good thing is that you and all others came out of it OK. Sounds harsh, but the car's replaceable...

I had a very similar sounding acco. Freeway, raining, gave it a boot to get some clown tailgating me off my Ar5e and the rest was history. Left the road sideway at 110kph. I was lucky though, no pole in the way! Downside of that was that I didn't stop (flipping) for some time.

I also copped the $130 fine.

Just curious, do you have any mods to the vehicle? And did your insurance company know about this? I had a few (mild) mods done which I didn't inform them about and I was crapping myself that I wasn't gonna be covered.

It was the longest wait of my life. Then over a month later they contacted me to say it was a write off and I would be paid out....

(Perfectly understandable if you don't wanna discuss this....)

My xr6 remains stock....

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 8m 15d
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

sorry to hear mate,at least nobody was hurt.

Guys we can all learn a lesson here(sorry to preach) but be aware that in the wet these b**ches can be a bit too handle.Especially if it hasn`t rained for a while the roads tend to have a bit of oil on them which could also be a contributing factor.

Take it easy on the wet,because unlike in the dry once you backoff you don`t always get traction.

May the ford be with you.

  • Just because it is, doesn't mean it should be.....
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 23d
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Noosa QLD
Posted

Really glad you are ok, well at least physically....

However I FEEL YOUR PAIN

:laughing::laughing:

Shaz

  • Site protagonist
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: At the lights, waiting for you.
Posted

Sorry to hear about your car Allan. At least your ok and the car will be replaced. Hopefully you have flashed the stock tune back in and have your little black box at home. I look forward to seeing your new T. I've done the smae thing and know how bad you're feeling.

Geea. :laughing:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...