Exhaust Heat Shield Rattle and Removal (Merged Topic)

SweetXR

• Member For: 20y 6m 19d

rabbit,

the rattle is coming from the exhaust system heat shield, I have taken mine off to stop this noise.

Edited by Hitman

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 4m 8d

Not sure if n/a has the same heatsheild on exhaust as turbos but it seems to be a reasonably common problem with them rattling. Mine did, dealer tightened them up at service time, next service they were rattling again so they replaced them (warranty).

• Member For: 20y 26d
or all Falcons?

I have an XR6 (NA) and at idle I get a vibration from the engine bay.

rabbit.

I had a rattle in mine also when I took the heat shield off I found that the actual manifold was loose, it is in two pieces the bolts between the two halves were loose as well as the actual bolts going into the cylinder head!

• Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666
  • Member For: 21y 1m 30d
rabbit,

the rattle is coming from the exhaust system heat shield, I have taken mine off to stop this noise.

I would be careful about removing the heat shield, it was put there for a reason, and if anything fails, like some sort of hose or whatever because you removed it, the dealer wont cover your warranty. I would put it back on and get it tightened every time it comes loose. Mine has come loose once and hasnt come loose since it was tightened up 20,000klms ago.

• Member For: 19y 10m 15d
mine is aswell been done 4 times and I am sick of it

Hoist it up, bend the heatshield away from anywhere it touches the exhaust until the rattle stops (trial & error) prob. solvered. 10mins, $10 for using the hoist and you've still retained an amicable relationship with your dealer just in case you actually need them to do something for you in the future.

• Member For: 20y 6m 19d

I would be careful about removing the heat shield,

turb06 mine was taken off by my ford dealer, I had it tightened about 7 times with no luck that’s including strapping it why they did that I have know idea blink.gif “Strap broke after 2 days” thumbsup.gif . I have run my car with out the shield for about 10,000Klms and no problem..