Exhaust Heat Shield Rattle and Removal (Merged Topic)

SweetXR

• Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666
  • Member For: 21y 2m

How come your dealer hasn't replaced it with a new one then?

Your first post made it read like you just got sick of it and pulled it off yourself.

• Member For: 20y 6m 19d

7 times I went to the dealer to get it fixed but with no luck, I was sick of them pulling it off then putting it back on then hitting it tightening it strapping it replacing it so it was taken off, I have had no issue and have check it last week an no heat scoring on the body at all it's all good. blink.gif

Edited by Dagabond

• 8 months later...
  • Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 30d

Hi guys,

The heat shielding on my exhaust rattles like crazy, especially when cold and the heat from the engine starts expanding things. My dealer has tried fixing it 4 or 5 times now and it works for a little while but always comes loose again. Ford won't replace the shielding to the later design they put on because you can't buy it separately, it only comes on the cat section of the exhaust.

Have any of you guys with standard or modified standard exhaust completely removed the heat shields?

Has it caused any problems? No melting or burning of the underbody?

Cheers,

Adam. :laughing:

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 30d

Mine has about 4 brackets on it and for a while it works but always starts to rattle again!

• Im the one and only
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 18d

Adam.Go and buy 2 or 3 big hose clamps big enough to fit around the sheild and tighten them up.

This worked for me when I had stock exhaust on.

• Member For: 19y 2m 2d

Mine rattled like crazy - drove me NUTS! I got it up on the hoist and just removed the whole thing. I haven't had any problems with heat, and considering I live in Darwin with 30+ degree ambient temps every day I'm sure it shouldn't be a problem somewhere cooler.

All you need to take it off is a couple of 10mm spanners / sockets, side cutters (pliers or wire cutters), a hoist, maybe a pry bar or something similar and a bit of patience!

I had to remove the exhaust rubbers to get enough room for the upper part of the shield to come off, but otherwise it was pretty easy!

The only time it may get a bit too hot is if you get stuck in traffic - something that luckily hardly exists up here!!!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 24d

I have seen one car on a hoist that had that metal packing tape stuuff around it on three different spots..... I spoke to the owner... he said he had heat shield rattle but didnt know they fixed it with packing material.