Exhaust Heat Shield Rattle and Removal (Merged Topic)

SweetXR

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 5d

Mine is going into service for several warranty items, including the heatshield rattle.

It only happens sometimes, so I hope they bother to look at it.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 5d

My Fraud Service department thinks that every "issue" I have with the car is normal. They also do not seem compentent.

I would get better service from a vending machine

• Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 15d

Mine was rattling like mad ages ago, we thought the cat might have been rooted but the exhaust bloke put it on the hoist and gas axed the shielding. Problem fixed and I don't have a heat problem either and I'm in Townsville now.

Anyway I think there is heat shielding/sound deadoner stuck to the bottom of the car where the exhaust is anyway.

Brett.

• Xtreme Xalted Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 13d

Adam.Go and buy 2 or 3 big hose clamps big enough to fit around the sheild and tighten them up.
This worked for me when I had stock exhaust on.

This worked for me also but it was my dealer who fitted them.
Under warranty as well.........!! spoton.gif

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 18y 9m 9d

Hi guys

My first post after trolling the forums for ages.... so I have the perfect nick.

Like many here I have the dreaded exhaust heat shield rattle. The car is an XR6T about 18mo old and has had the rattle since pretty much day one. The useless dealer I bought it from and recently ditched failed to fix it or much else. Fortunately I have a great dealer now but they won't fix the exhaust rattle under warranty because the thing got a scraped on a driveway only a month or two ago. Just my luck but fairy nuf.

So what are my chances of getting it removed and repaired / welded / anything and then strapped in several places to fix it. The scrape is very minor by the way and shouldn't be an issue or part of the rattle problem.

Ford CRC tell me that removing it for good will put a lot more heat into the cabin. Has anyone removed theirs and left it off? What's your experience?

I don't really want to buy a new third party exhaust (as sweet as they sound) and the dealer tells me a replacement heat shield (ready for new, more exciting rattles no doubt) will cost me a couple of hundred.

Comments would be great. Thanks.

• Member For: 20y 11m 30d

Hi Troll

I experienced the exact same thing with my car. The dealer blamed the scraping for the rattle and therefore refused to fix it even though it's pretty much done it since new.

I got Ian (Goldie) to fix it when it was in for a pad change recently, not sure what he did, he said he removed part of it. It doesn't rattle anymore.

Try PM him for more info if you like.

Cheers

Big AL

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 18d

even if you pay your dealer it wont cost much... they just stick a couple of clips on it.. I had mine done twice under warranty.... took about 5 minutes... they said they just fit a couple of clips on it... stuffs me what they are but they work :spoton:

if you dont want to pay them out of principle, just remove the heat shield... a lot of members here have done it and havent noticed any extra heat in the cabin :spoton:

oh and BTW... welcome to the forums :spoton: