Exhaust Heat Shield Rattle and Removal (Merged Topic)

SweetXR

• Member For: 20y 8m 28d

The T now has 10000 km and the rattle from the exhaust heat shield is very bad. It is normally an issue in the morning (cold) and especially reversing out of the garage (on idle - auto). But I have also noticed once warmer sitting at the lights. It sounds shocking. I know that many have reported this problem but has anyone got a satisfactory fix.

• What's happening?
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 16d
I know that many have reported this problem but has anyone got a satisfactory fix.

Yep. The dealer removed them, problem gone.....

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 4m 3d

I had the problem on my car, the dealer tightened them up and this fixed the problem for about a fortnight then it came back again, worse. The next service I mentioned this to the dealer and they replaced them under warranty. THat was a couple of months ago...so far so good.

• Member For: 20y 8m 28d

That doesn't sound good Trumpy. There is quite a lot of heat generated by the T, and thus the reason for the shield. Do you think that it is satisfactory to just remove something that was clearly seen as required by FoMoCo when designing the car.

• What's happening?
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 16d

Are any of the tuner's installing heat shields on their replacement exhausts? I have seen underneath C & V's orange beast (APS Phase 2 at that point; exhaust a work of art by the way) and there are no heatshields. And these guys are making considerably more grunt than my little stocker.

End of the day, I have a good relationship with my dealer, so if they are happy to remove it, I'm not too worried. Its been off over most of this summer, and havent noticed a difference. And the car hasnt exploded either.

*edit* I should say that the heatshield is still there in the engine bay itself. ie. around the headers and turbo, and down until the first join in the heatshield system at the bottom of the engine bay. So all hoses etc in the engine bay itself are still protected.

Edited by Trumpy

• Member For: 20y 10m 17d
....... wire ties around mine. Problem solvered!

Mine also had a rattle. looked under and one wire tie had slipped off. Obviously they were not fastened enough, slided the culprit back , problem solved?

This maybe all that you need to do.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted out.

Cassius

• Big Gun
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 9d

My exhaust shield rattled from the day I got the car. They replace the 'straps' I think they said, and now 9 months later the rattle has started again. I'll have them fix it during the next service.

Rob

• Member For: 20y 3m 20d

I just had it pulled off after the new sysytem was fitted no more rattle and its been off for 6 months and I havent had a single problem from it