Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Forum Superhero
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 10m 4d
  • Location: Eastern Suburbs of Mexico
Posted

Well talking to Ben from Mal Woods today seems to indicate that the whine is the diff, but the rest of the charachteristics are not, but close. Seems it could be driveshaft CV's, CV's themselves, input spline and so on, all area's I can guarantee that will not have been checked.

It's a shame to see these days that Dealerships are not about being a mechanic but moreso just replacing parts, no wonder their turnover is so high.

Part of the issue may be the clutch, even though I had this problem prior to the new installation, so the car's going in monday to my wife's uncles to have it checked and I will work back from there until we get to the diff.

I will tell ford what I am doing and give them one more chance to rectify the problem once I have taken the possibilty of the clutch out of the equation.

With the slackness in the driveline, what would be a minor problem is exassibated because of it.

Whilst Ford make up their mind what they are going to do, I will continue to investiagte an alternate solution via the likes of other diff specialists.

I'll keep you posted :sleepystuff:

  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 9m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast
Posted

JB, doesnt FORD have some responsibilty to pay for some, if not all, of whatever would be required to get it fixed properly, given that they cannot !!

Probably cost them a whole lot less in the long run :sleepystuff:

Alan

  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 23y 8m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

If the diff does get replaced again, use a centre punch, and make a mark on the old housing before you visit the dealership. Then check the "new" diff for the mark you made with the centre punch. That way you will know for sure if the diff is actually getting replaced!

  • Forum Superhero
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 10m 4d
  • Location: Eastern Suburbs of Mexico
Posted
JB, doesnt FORD have some responsibilty to pay for some, if not all, of whatever would be required to get it fixed properly, given that they cannot !!

Probably cost them a whole lot less in the long run  :sleepystuff:

Alan

Yes you are right Alan but they are putting it back on Dana (the manufacturer) to fix it.

They will continue to try to fix it until it's right, I am fed up with waiting and going back and forth.

It looks like I can get it fixed properly, I will give them that option of paying for it, but I suppose I am just sick of waiting and you would think that after 4 diffs they would have got it right by now.

I am slowly working on them, but with Ford these things cannot be pushed. Obviously I would like them to pay, and as they said I should not have to pay for a manufacturing fault, but as I said they cannot fix it, so what choice do I have.

  • Forum Superhero
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 10m 4d
  • Location: Eastern Suburbs of Mexico
Posted
If the diff does get replaced again, use a centre punch, and make a mark on the old housing before you visit the dealership. Then check the "new" diff for the mark you made with the centre punch. That way you will know for sure if the diff is actually getting replaced!

Will Do thanks Mick :crybaby:

I think the next one will be a rebuild? Any suggestions? :pinch:

  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 23y 8m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
If the diff does get replaced again, use a centre punch, and make a mark on the old housing before you visit the dealership. Then check the "new" diff for the mark you made with the centre punch. That way you will know for sure if the diff is actually getting replaced!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will Do thanks Mick :pinch:

I think the next one will be a rebuild? Any suggestions? :spit:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, sorry chief. I don't know enough about the Dana diffs to recommend any upgrades. :crybaby:

  • Forum Superhero
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 10m 4d
  • Location: Eastern Suburbs of Mexico
Posted

Has anyone got any more suggestions for good Diff/ Driveline specialists in the Eastern Suburbs of Melb? :blink:

Problem may not just be the diff but also the CV joints and angle of the drivline pinion.

  • Firm Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m
  • Location: Adelaide Hills
Posted

Sh!t your a patient man JB :nono:

When l was battliing shunt & Ford, Ben recommended l call Automotive Performance Solutions in Heidelberg - 0394553222. l spoke with Paul who seemed very knowledgable. l would certainly give them a call. l lost patience with the car and never actually got around to taking it to him.

Good luck, you need it :blush:

  • Forum Superhero
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 10m 4d
  • Location: Eastern Suburbs of Mexico
Posted

Thanks Mondie for the advice, good to hear from you.

Unfortunately I cannot afford to get rid of the car, otherwise I would. I do however really want to finish this project, and enjoy my T completed with all the mods I wanted to do. As I am so far down the path now and can see the end, I am now looking at this as a challenge, to get it completed.

I want to enjoy all the work and time I have put into it, and more importantly get over the hurdle of a 12 sec manual T.

Ford are willing to help, but I really cannot rely on them fixing the problem. I need to get it fixed asap rather than keep going down the path I have.

It’s been over 12 months now, and I am fed up with dropping my car off at the dealers. If it proves to be expensive however, I will have to keep going down Ford’s path. It’s just interesting to see that with the few days of work I have put into this problem, I have found out more than Ford or Dana ever have in relation to my problem.

Unfortunately in my situation the adage of drop a new one in and she’ll be right just does not fit.

Thanks for the contact details, I will call them next week, and keep you all posted :gooff:

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 8m 13d
Posted
Thanks Mondie for the advice, good to hear from you.

Unfortunately I cannot afford to get rid of the car, otherwise I would.  I do however really want to finish this project, and enjoy my T completed with all the mods I wanted to do. As I am so far down the path now and can see the end, I am now looking at this as a challenge, to get it completed.

I want to enjoy all the work and time I have put into it, and more importantly get over the hurdle of a 12 sec manual T.

Ford are willing to help, but I really cannot rely on them fixing the problem. I need to get it fixed asap rather than keep going down the path I have.

It’s been over 12 months now, and I am fed up with dropping my car off at the dealers. If it proves to be expensive however, I will have to keep going down Ford’s path. It’s just interesting to see that with the few days of work I have put into this problem, I have found out more than Ford or Dana ever have in relation to my problem.

Unfortunately in my situation the adage of drop a new one in and she’ll be right just does not fit.

Thanks for the contact details, I will call them next week, and keep you all posted :nono:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JB, Mine has the drive line clunk and did have the diff whine, but on the 4th replacement diff the whine seems to be gone, but the drive line shunt is still very evident. Mines going in this week to Ford again to try again to rectify the problem, but Im not getting my hopes up... Which on Ford’s part is VERY sad, cause when we are spending our hard dollars on a NEW car, it should drive better the a freakin bobcat!!

Actually its strange cause even with this ongoing problem, I still love the XR!!! I compare it to a chick that annoys the crap out of you, but ya just cant help but keep on going back for that sweet lovin!!!!

Cheers Luke

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...