Bawwxay

• Member For: 2y 1m 17d

G’day

I have a exhaust manifold gasket that’s leaking obviously on My BA XR6 Turbo and I was wondering whether I could unbolt the 12 manifold bolts and slightly pull the manifold away and remove the gasket and then slide the new one back in and bolt the manifold back up without having to remove the whole thing with the turbo? 

an answer would be mint, cheers 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 4m 22d

No, you can't do it the way you're describing, you need to at least unbolt every bolt as the gasket goes in with the bolts themselves... you might be able to wiggle it in there a few bolts at a time, but it wouldn't be worth the effort, just remove the manifold from the head, put the gasket in, bolt the manifold & gasket back to the head :) 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply, maybe I didn’t describe it properly, I was thinking of unbolting all the bolts to the head and sliding it out that way without actually taking the turbo off the bottom of the manifold. 
the way your describing, do I have to unbolt the turbo at all or can the manifold wiggle free enough to put a new gasket on there? 
also, are the Permaseal gaskets good enough to run without much issue? Only running 8psi at 243kw.

Edited by Bawwxay
Added some info

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 4m 22d

oh, you can definitely change the gasket without removing the turbo from the manifold. I'm sure the permaseal will be fine in your scenario.

• Thanks 1

So as I was trying to put the bolts back in after fitting the new gasket, I totally threaded about four of them and can’t get them tight enough now to even keep the manifold close enough to get some exhaust gasses in there. What are my options? Where do I go from here? 😵‍💫🤕