Nathan017 Member 31 Member For: 5y 19d Posted 23/09/21 11:26 PM Posted 23/09/21 11:26 PM hi guys , iv never diagnosed a center bearing but is this one due for replacement ? and how much should I be looking at paying to have this replaced ? trying to solve my diff vibration thanks
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 7m 29d Gender: Not Telling Posted 23/09/21 11:39 PM Posted 23/09/21 11:39 PM Yep it's stuffed. Price will vary but you can expect around the $300 mark for supply and fit.
Nathan017 Member 31 Member For: 5y 19d Posted 23/09/21 11:54 PM Author Posted 23/09/21 11:54 PM Awesome this finally diagnoses my vibration issues can any one recommend a place in sydney that can do this ? getting few nasty quotes of $1600 to do this and apparently send off the tail shaft to be balanced
Tom Tucker Legacy Donating Member 711 Member For: 7y 2m 28d Posted 24/09/21 12:49 AM Posted 24/09/21 12:49 AM Sorry to say, nobody in Sydney will do that job for $300. If its just a centre bearing replacement, you shouldn't need to get it rebalanced. I can't offer any advice on where to take it to get it done, sorry.
k31th less WHY; more WOT Site Developer 30,109 Member For: 18y 5m 17d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 24/09/21 01:35 AM Posted 24/09/21 01:35 AM this quote from @PhilMeUp On 07/07/2015 at 12:34 AM, PhilMeUp said: Hardy Spicer have them - www.hardyspicer.com.au Diff and transmission places will probably also stock them, and can do the entire job if you are unable to. Your car wil take either a FD-30-5835 or a FD-30-5855, depending on BA/BF1/BFII/FG. If you remove the tail shaft and take it with you I think they can fit the centre bearing there (for a fee). It's not particularly difficult - the photos in the two Tornado threads that I posted above will show you what to do. Before separating the two tail shaft halves (at the CV joint) you need to mark them so that they go back together in the same place (ie balancing). While you're at it, remove the aluminium crossmember for the transmission mount and check the transmission mount rubber. Photos of that are in one of the Tornado threads. and the relevant repair posts he mentions for his two tornado utes: https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/89684-2006-fpv-tornado-f6-ute-cleanup-resurrection/?do=findComment&comment=1521879 & https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/90489-2007-fpv-tornado-ute-tinkering-setup/?do=findComment&comment=1551154
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 7m 29d Gender: Not Telling Posted 24/09/21 04:01 AM Posted 24/09/21 04:01 AM I've done them in about an hour and they cost about $30 to buy. $300 is plenty for a tailshaft bearing r&r.
Nathan017 Member 31 Member For: 5y 19d Posted 24/09/21 04:11 AM Author Posted 24/09/21 04:11 AM iv seen the part isn’t too costly, iv had a few quotes today $550 being the cheapest, I would like to do it myself as I do like to tackle these things and achieve the sense of accomplishment.
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 7m 29d Gender: Not Telling Posted 24/09/21 04:33 AM Posted 24/09/21 04:33 AM It is pretty easy to do when you know how.
Nathan017 Member 31 Member For: 5y 19d Posted 25/09/21 02:46 AM Author Posted 25/09/21 02:46 AM can any one comment on identifying what size they usually are ? I measured the center bearing itself and it is 175 mm or so to the centre's of the bolts but I can’t distinguish if it’s 30mm or 35’mm thickness without removing the whole shaft itself which I’m trying to avoid
Nathan017 Member 31 Member For: 5y 19d Posted 01/10/21 09:52 PM Author Posted 01/10/21 09:52 PM (edited) finally installed the new centre bearing, after a much awaited arrival with the aus post delays I was keen to get rid of my vibrating problems, I also on hand ordered some diff shims. wasn’t that hard of a job swapping it over, the main pain was the messy cv joint , knocking the cog off the spline insert was a nuisance, otherwise tackled it all within 3 hours with just two jack stands in the driveway . went for a drive and the vibration had calmed down a little, although on the straight and up hills in low rpms it still vibrates . came back installed the 2degree diff shims , pointing it up toward the engine, drove and the sound seamed worse . I think I’ll have to try swap them around the other way pointing the diff down toward the engine . anyone have any other ideas about this vibration I’m receiving ? Edited 01/10/21 09:53 PM by Nathan017
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now