cat007 Member 236 Member For: 8y 1m 2d Posted 11/05/21 02:04 AM Posted 11/05/21 02:04 AM Ok so there is a VERY specific process to follow when filling the trans fluid to the correct level. Did you follow it? Or just bung it in without getting the temp exactly what it's supposed to be? I.e. Operating temp is too hot.Trans fluid needs to be only at 35C!
josh883 Member 44 Member For: 12y 8m 26d Posted 11/05/21 02:47 AM Author Posted 11/05/21 02:47 AM 33 minutes ago, cat007 said: Ok so there is a VERY specific process to follow when filling the trans fluid to the correct level. Did you follow it? Or just bung it in without getting the temp exactly what it's supposed to be? I.e. Operating temp is too hot. Trans fluid needs to be only at 35C! Yes I'm aware of the process, and after I installed the trans cooler double checked the fluid level at said temperature, did this after the final flush. Car was level and fluid level was spot on. Went through the same process to refill. After the final fluid flush it has only made the car go into limp mode on the track twice, no street issues yet. Trans temperature has not been above 105c. This is why I think it may be fluid, filter or pressure related.
El Andrew Legacy Donating Member 2,040 Member For: 11y 5m 14d Gender: Male Location: Canberra ACT Posted 11/05/21 02:50 AM Posted 11/05/21 02:50 AM ^what he said - you need to be very particular about the car being level and the fluid being at the right temp. Edit: sorry posted at the same time he did. But also when you refill, run the selector through all the positions a few times to make sure everything is well circulated so you get an accurate reading
josh883 Member 44 Member For: 12y 8m 26d Posted 11/05/21 03:41 AM Author Posted 11/05/21 03:41 AM Yes Andrew did all this, and BTW thanks for the write up in regard to external trans cooler install, it was very helpful! 1
josh883 Member 44 Member For: 12y 8m 26d Posted 11/05/21 09:28 AM Author Posted 11/05/21 09:28 AM Any way I'm going to replace the filter and just change the oil in the sump as it's pretty fresh, I'll go through the process and make sure the fluid level is correct. Hopefully changing the filter will make a difference.
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 8m 7d Gender: Not Telling Posted 11/05/21 09:36 AM Posted 11/05/21 09:36 AM 7 hours ago, cat007 said: Trans fluid needs to be only at 35C! Yeah nah that's too hot. Start the car from cold, put it in drive and fill the bastard asap. 1
josh883 Member 44 Member For: 12y 8m 26d Posted 11/05/21 12:41 PM Author Posted 11/05/21 12:41 PM Is this standard? I went through the gears then back to park with engine running? Is it better to leave in drive with park brake on of course?
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 8m 7d Gender: Not Telling Posted 11/05/21 12:51 PM Posted 11/05/21 12:51 PM That's the way I do it and it works. Be safe about it though, make sure the car is supported with jack stands before you get under it. Don't rely on the handbrake to hold the car still on the ground.
adams355 Member 529 Member For: 9y 5m 5d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 11/05/21 01:16 PM Posted 11/05/21 01:16 PM (edited) I do it in Park. The most important thing is that the fluid is cold, first start of the day. They fill them cold at the 'ZF factory' because they are sealed before it even gets near a car. I'm trying to find an article I saw a few years back. Mine would play up until I filled it when cold after doing the service a day before. Edited 11/05/21 01:22 PM by adams355
bjc Legacy Donating Member 2,823 Member For: 23y 1m 2d Gender: Male Location: Townsville Posted 11/05/21 08:05 PM Posted 11/05/21 08:05 PM I'll be the devil on the other shoulder... The fluid level doesn't matter squat as long as it's over the correct level. I've done this and replied on this forum about it and I'm using Transmax Z plus a bottle or so of Lubegard. 3lt+ overfill and the only thing it did was make it doughy central...I would think like most autos if it's underfilled it would jump into gear when a certain rpm is reached from a stop (my btr on the AU did this after Ford clowns didn't fill it properly).Long story short is they aren't as temperamental as everyone is saying.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now