Sprint 6 upgrade - GTX3582 or...?

saturnine_07

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 3m 24d

There's obviously physical limitation of the factory parts to take into account. 500rwkw on E85 with a stock BF/FG motor isn't out of the question and will last for spirited driving. If the car is going to be used primarily for track/strip events then a built engine would be a no-brainer. As I mentioned earlier, I did 11,000kms in my G6ET with 511rwkw on E85. Given the car needed a transmission rebuild, and the car also no longer suited my requirements with a young family, I reverted it back to stock and sold it.

I've got a built FG turbo engine in my SZ Territory and I'll be running it on E85 when the fuel system is setup with the intent of running 22-24psi with a goal of 500-550rwkw. Along with the engine build I'm fitting a 6R80 built transmission from Monsta Torque to match the capabilities of the engine.

Power costs money. How far can you afford to go reliably is the question. Up to 400rwkw it's chump change, once you go over that amount of power or want to run E85 you'll need to spend. In. My. Opinion.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 9m 8d

In my opinion to make 500kw you need to fit such a big turbo, that you are giving up so much power at low rpm it's pointless, and a car making 400 will probably hold its own next to you.

500kw on stock rods is not even close to 500 on a built motor.

Not even my tuner, but here is 2 tunes same peak power, one built motor, one not. eaa5d6394591f2e055c316f33966eafb.jpg637494f9e106e2635ffa82eb99bfd060.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Member For: 5y 4m 26d

Old thread I know…

but does anyone know if fitting a gtx gen 1 3582 core into a gt3582 is much better on 98 or only tiny gains? As it’s already tuned with all sup mods (400kw)… I’ve read that the gtx g1 is a 62.5 mm billet wheel and the gt3582 has a 61mm cast wheel?

Assuming maybe a slightly slower spool but more top end again but seeing it’s only on 98 you might not be able to squeeze much more out? 

But on e85 you’d see much higher gains out of the billet wheel compared to the cast? 

or is there a newer turbo set up that has quicker spool again and even better top end for 98 these days… 😂

cheers..

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 30d

Garrett has much new tech than the gen 1 GTX turbos, head over to their website and compare the turbos. Look at how much more a current gen turbo flows compared to a gen 1 GTX, it's farken heaps more!

Look at @Tom Tucker's rig, pretty sure he said it comes on like a stock turbo or not long after.

Edited by Puffwagon
Sniffed to much paint as a baby

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 1m

I'd move to gtx purely because of the massive efficiency gains over the gt. Imo, way worth the upgrade!

I reckon just fit a whole gtx turbo rather than just the core, more expensive but way worth it

1 minute ago, Puffwagon said:

Garrett has much new tech than the gen 1 GTX turbos, head over to their website and compare the turbos. Look at how much more a current gen turbo flows compared to a gen 1 GTX, it's farken heaps more!

I’ll have to have a browse cheers… I’ve read the gen2 is 66mm and has more lag more suited for e85 to get bigger numbers but 98 is all ill ever see unfortunatly… I have heard good things bout the g35 range though

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 30d

Yeah G series is what I'd look at if I was going for a new genuine Garrett. The gen 2 GTX3582r does have a 66mm compressor and is noticeably laggier than a stock turbo. It's not bad though and you can still stall it up to 10psi or so off the brake.

Thanks for your reply…

would you know which one would be appropriate and efficient for a 98 car that’s doesn’t have a built engine 😂 

g35-900 or 1050? You wouldn’t really be able to get much more then 420kw on 98 safely even then it’s pushed to its limit of the engine? 
cheers