Remove front springs without compressors?

Falconhell13

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

are you asking if you can do it without spring compressors?

you can remove the struts in one piece at the front (spring and shock) but it's tough to get it out past the control arms etc without the springs being compressed.

should still be able to hire them from a hire place... those places should be considered "essential" along with hardware stores etc.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

I have done it many times without compressors, just use rattle gun. It is very dangerous. The new springs being lower will go on easier.

If you are smart you can use the cars weight and jacks to do it in the car. 

• Member For: 4y 5m 6d

Everywhere here in newzealand are lockdown and they arnt considering any public stuff except food an essential to us at the moment. So im guessing I need to be able to compress the springs to remove the whole strut? Also I dont have a rattle gun but I do have an air ratchet. I have some g clamps but I dont think they will do much good. Will the superlows go in easy enough with me needed to compress then?

So im gueesing I could undo the top center nut that holds the spring pressure while using the jack under it to hold the pressure then slowly release the jack done so my springs no longer captive then pull it all out?

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Removing the whole strut (shock and spring assembly) is easy without compressors.

Be very very careful if doing the job without spring compressors - people have killed themselves trying.

I found with new Kings BA springs, I couldn't compress them enough with spring compressors to install back onto the shock, so had to go to a shop. They said they sometimes break their wall mounted compressors doing it.

If you try without spring compressors, you need to be ok with the risk you won't be able to get them back in afterwards.

Can you order compressors online?

• Member For: 4y 5m 6d

Aw sh*t that's a worry cause mine are king springs, second hand ones though and I think super low not just low but I really want to be able to get them back in. As far as I know only essential service deliveries are taking place. I thought that I would completely wrap the strut up in a think drop cloth laying on the ground and undo it with a air ratchet

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Yeah mine were low, not super low. But new springs are stiffer than old springs.

With super low you might have more chance of using the car and a jack to re-assemble in the car, but yeah car is not drivable for the foreseeable future if it doesn't work.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

sounds like it'll be better for you to just wait to lower your car until you're back out of this lockdown haha