SIMBADS TREAD

SIMBAD

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 17d

Also fitted up a temporary oil catch can to try and keep the Intercooler clean for the time being. Also used the same mother in trimming down the 4” silicone joiner for the turbo side Intake.

Bashed in one of these after sticking it in the freezer and just used some push lock hose and couple fittings.

SNdDxeR.jpg

tFLPIqW.jpg

I will be coming back to this later with weld on fittings before tuning as I don’t really like how they reduce the breather bore size.

RvgZz2H.jpg

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Next up is the drive line. Diff bushes were in desperate need of attention when I first bought the car so it was well over due.

I had been putting it off for so long obvious reasons..

fWHQTsQ.jpg

lWjyZTB.jpg

measure the diff outrigger for diff alignment.

QgYG4kB.jpg

EO90IET.jpg

Bushes:

JQFpBxB.jpg

3BagPUV.jpg

out with the old. In with the new.

NSvYo7Y.jpg

aQcwRVU.jpg

while I was mucking around under the car I swapped the cat back exhaust section for the xforce “3.5”

The hangers on the exhaust were modified to fit into a e series so had to chop them off and dummy fit and reeled back on. Didn’t remember to get pics of that but managed one of the exhaust tip. The dump tip was drilled each side and was bolted on. So I cleaned that up and welded it on properly. You might be able to see in the above pic where the exhaust(s) are laying next to the GT-P with all the soot around the muffler.

WJHY22V.jpg
I had also cut the flange off the standard cat and welded a 3.5” flange and reducer on to the 3” section of the standard dump/cat pipe. I left did it this way for the moment leaving the 4” dump and high flow cat until I’m ready to get the car tuned. As I’m still going to need to do the flap mod, some manifold porting, fuel system and valve springs. Timing set and oil pump will also need doing but I think I’ll need to get the tune done first anyway because of the turbo change. Will just have to baby it around off boost until then. 

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Another thing that was on the much needed to do list was service diff oil and the ZF.

I didn’t know when the diff was last done so took the opportunity to do that while it was still on the ground.

Final fitting up of the exhaust pic.

hs5spBS.jpg

My ZF had a plastic pan on it so ordered the bmw steel one with new filter, gasket, bolts and mechatronic sleeve. Mine wasn’t leaking but thought it was necessary to do anyways. Also went the gulf western route. As much as I’d love to use the lifeguard 6. That stuff is pretty bloody expensive considering I was also wanting to do a full flush as Pete (mums partner) had never serviced the gearbox when he owned the car for something like 9 years. 
Also ordered a external oil cooler, hardline, Teflon braid hose and associated fittings to get the job done for a bit more added piece of mind.

Dropped old oil out and ripped out the milkshake maker. 
Was pretty bloody dark!

azglZrw.jpg

derale atomic cool

tsNuPso.jpg

irMxdwu.jpg

xgFlopc.jpg

xMS9BEr.jpg

made some brackets out of aluminium flat bar and whipped out the nursert gun again to go into a hole that was already in the chassis. 
FDv2Sa3.jpg

XsHdaqy.jpg

blocks of wood and cable ties was my tube straightener lol

9ryTHUz.jpg

Bent up the 1/2” hard lines and fitted the -8an fittings. 
TvB65iK.jpg

sUgyoiV.jpg

Fitted up the trans fittings with the -8an 200 hose and fittings as well as the fan thermo switch.

Q0Z3FAk.jpg

yleai71.jpg

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Few more follow up pics I took this morning now I’m home from work.

Brings everything back up to where I am up to today I think.

Also I forgot to mention that I used about 19L of trans fluid completing the flush and fill. When I dropped the oil the 3rd time it was mostly clear and probably didn’t need to completely drop it all out again. But did so anyway and did the final fill following ZFs instructions watching the temps.

Also done a big flush of the cooling system with demin water. I brought home 80L of it from work.

Cooler with lines attached 

b4CgvRz.jpg

better picks of lines attached to the zf

4q9TkkR.jpg

bit closer to the thermo switch and change to hard line.

d732RPz.jpg

Spacers for Intercooler 

SOj72Jr.jpg

AGZvtLe.jpg

oil feed line filter mounting. Might revisit this again in the future and rub it down some with scotchbrite and round off the corners or maybe paint. 

miRBaul.jpg

turbo side intake

JCMR8rI.jpg

l2GNrAU.jpg

and I almost forgot about the new water pump. When I topped up the coolant I noticed a leak started from the back side of the pump where the hard pipe connects sealing with a o-ring. I must have disturbed it somehow along the way and just decided to stick a new pump in as again I didn’t know the state it was in. So now I know it’s new

nVC44tq.jpg

job for this weekend is to install brackets for the hard lines to the oil cooler, wire up the fan and fix up the coolant line under the intake manifold where I deleted the oil cooler. The hose I bent back up has a kink that I want to fix up. it hasn’t stopped the flow but I’m not happy leaving it like that. 
Dump the demin water again and top back up with more demin water and coolant concentrate. 

Need to do a shopping list on fittings etc for the fuel system. Fpr1200 or maybe the gfb drop in. -6 supply and return lines. What fuel pump(s) to go with. And also what valve springs to go for.

Also going to need to revisit the oil catch can. Been looking at the 3L Aeroflow one but it’s physical size is quite tall so may mount where the old milkshake maker was. Then deal with a big long line going back to the intake. More thought processing will be going on in that area.

Also need to work or what to do for gauges as well. Thinking autometer sport comp but also been looking at the AEM line up with thoughts of maybe learning to road tune myself then touch up on the dyno further down the track.

So there is still quite a fair bit for me to do and plenty of overtime shift I’ll have to say yes to.. sigh

Edited by SIMBAD
Added info
  • Like 3

• Donating Members

Cheers! Definitely get a good sense of satisfaction doing it yourself that’s for sure.

but once I finish this project I really need to finish off my yard so I can build my shed with a HOIST! haha

It’s pretty cramped working out of the garage. Not a lot of space in there and has been frustrating going backwards and forwards to my mums place where a lot of my tools and other belongings still live

• Donating Members

Fixed up the coolant line with 3/4id silicone hose and installed a -12an support spring to stop the kinks. 
JJjoJE9.jpg

p1sfB12.jpg

FjbMzyn.jpg

Also I installed a DCI performance products “T6 therma sheild” on the oil feed line to the turbo.

VBrkeso.jpg

Finished off the oil line brackets for the trans cooler and got the fan wired up. Just waiting on a warning light to come from bluewire automotive solutions then that will be complete.

double tripple checked over everything to make sure I’ve got no leaks as well as installed a new motor craft fuel filter.

Cleaned the barrels in the wheels and mounted them up and dropped the car down and went for a little drive. 

have found that when turning right the exhaust must be slightly touching the diff cradle so I’ll have to see when I can do about that.

Xhf4SaC.jpg

k80eiVs.jpg

X5NvGG5.jpg

p4I3XTb.jpg

Next thing I think I’ll tackle will be valve springs and some guages and track down a good exhaust housing to do the flapper mod on.

Thinking of going crow 1808-24 and reusing the factory retainers and locks. I doubt I’ll be pushing any more than 20psi and if I were to use the crow retainers I believe they are a little thicker and will increase the valve spring pressure. Which I don’t think I’ll need for my boost levels.

I think that way the followers want be so hard on the cam lobes, less stress on timing chain and guides plus I’ve also read that there’s sometimes clearance issues which I’d like to avoid with the followers and retainers?

Im open to suggestions if anyone wants to help us out here.

Cheers 🍻 

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 28d

Wow mate she’s looking great !

very nicely done on the installation work of your new additions ;) 

I think it’s the wheels ( as I had them on my BA turbo way back in the day ) but I’ve got a fair amount of love for how you ride is looking !

Yes grab the Crow spring “only” items as the retainers just aren’t needed 

IF you want one of my new fully ported housings I can sort you out or if you want a good second hand one that’s been ported I can help out too, haven’t got any stockers currently :) 

Edited by JETURBO

• Donating Members

Cheers for your feedback mate. Appreciate it 👌🏼

If you want to pm me on details and prices of your housings that’d be sweet thanks jet

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members

Fitted up the bluewire auto pilot light for the trans cooler fan. Thinking I probably should of got the black ones they have but ah well. I had intentions to mount to the icc facia but here was much quicker and easier..

zqRMPXZ.jpg

maybe the override switch should be mounted underneath the pilot light but where it is now isn’t in the way plus there’s a hole now if I decide to move it. 

fsaLxvT.jpg

Also receive this in the mail. Found brand new un used delivered for $120..

PJyzJvA.jpg

Ud87QAN.jpg

DZn4Pzl.jpg

I was thinking of just using autometer sportcomp instead of the sportcomp2 as they have led and might be too bright at night time. Though I remember seeing a thread somewhere about being able to dim them with the dash lights somewhere using a transistor and resistors so if I find that I might study up on it some more and see if it blows over the top of me or not.

Will be going with vac/boost for one of them but undecided on what to use in the other spots. Oil pressure or temperature and maybe voltage to know the alternator is supplying enough for the fuel pump to be happy. 

Other options for gauges I’ve looked at is AEM and innovate but they are pretty expensive a don’t want a boost guage that goes to 35psi. Innovate might be better as they go to 30 iirc. I just don’t intend on running over 20 on the stock motor on 98.

another I looked at is the prosport range which look nice but being so cheap for electronic gauges has me weary. 

Otherwise I’m open to suggestions on decent gauges that are only going to be used as quick references