HI PSI

• Member For: 17y 10m 29d

After unpacking the Haltech flex fuel sensor, I noted that the lines for the unit are only 3/8'. As I am running -10 feed and return lines, this was going to pose a significant restriction and this is unacceptable. I spent that nigh looking at ways to adapt the sensor into the line, while ensuring adequate flow through the sensor and not creating any restriction. Sounds easy hey...

I grabbed a Speedflow catalog and started to make up a parts list, Despite all my efforts, every scenario looked like Frankenstein's cousin made a log style setup for the Flex Fuel Sensor. As making it work with Speedflow fittings would have cost around $400, and would have cost around $400. Obviously, this thought got scrapped pretty quickly.

So, I put the thinking cap on and started to design a log style system. When designing the part, I used the principle of: path of least resistance, to ensure that the sensor would receive adequate flow, for it to be able to provide accurate information. With this in mind, I realised that I would have to create a pressure point (Restriction) in the main line just after the feed line for the sensor, and then create a pressure drop just before the other end. this is what I came up with....

I dirlled and machined some alloy rod on the lathe, to match the diameter of the -10 alloy weld ons for each end. and drilled the ports to match the flex fuel sensor, plus Speedflow fittings.

zN4DLiB.jpg

To ensure correct flow, I calculated the send area of the -10 lines and subtracted the same of the flex fuel line. With this I concluded that the restrictor would be around 10.6 mm in diameter, down from the 13.6 mm of the fuel line. So I drilled the feed end to match these figures.

LrXSk7l.jpg

e1bGIMJ.jpg

The restrictor starts at around 40 mm inside and is around 50 mm in length. After which, it returns back to the original 13.6 mm diameter. Both ends were then tig welded, with the -6 weld ons soon after. this is the final result...

XbspVrQ.jpg

Edited by k31th
pb pics fix
  • Like 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 23d

3/8th on the return line should be more than adequate

Also the FPR will take care of any backpressure as it doesn't flow backwards even if the return pressure did get that high

John mc kean ran one with over 1100fwhp and iirc flow to support 1500hp of E85

What fuel pumps/pressure are you going for ?

Edited by Womend Bellbat

• Member For: 10y 5m 3d

Not sure if you have seen it but there is some speculation over on AFF that the kpm1500 does not infact support 1500hp...Jim has apparently found the limit at 700 od rwkw

Edited by barnz

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 23d

Yeh that's standard

I don't think you would of had an issue ( might of ) but definitely not under WOT but at idle it would of only worked pressure up to the reg base as worst case ( assuming you're using a FPR 2000 ?