Builders Knowledge Needed

Azid

• Member For: 12y 7m 1d

Hey guys how are we?

Just thought id post up to try and get some info from someone that works with steel framed homes or has knowledge of them.

Im building a home and the ppl at the company have decided to be dicks and wont put up timber nogs for television mounts and wont let me on site to do it myself.

We have bought a new LG 70" (177cm) lcd tv for the home theatre and now worried about mounting it, We have a niece, picture nook whatever you want to call it and if we need to mount timber to wall in order to mount bracket it then makes the niece a little redundant. There is 2 steel studs running down the tv nook. Can I mount the wall bracket to these 2 studs if the bracket can reach them or am I better off just putting wood up in the nook and screwing the bracket to that?

I know it is a "steel frame" but if people havnt had anything to do with these frames before, they may be stronger then I think but they feel so thin and flimsy.

Any info is hugely appreciated. Once again it is a 70" tv, it is very big and quite heavy.

Cheers

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

The steel studs they use is fair thin but with correct fixings you will be fine mounting the bracket to the two uprights

If your still unhappy just go onsite after they leave and insert the noggins yourself as they will not remove them

• Like 1

• billet turbos and weathered engines dont mix
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 10m 29d

that's what I would do^^^ Its your house for god sake. Its not like your saying you want less framework, which is a strctural intergrity issue, your wanting more. I cant see any problem in putting your own noggin in, and I cant see anyone having a whinge, seeings that your only further stablilising the structure if anything.

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 18d

I can see someone having a whinge but not about the structure..

Part of a building contract is 'possession of site'.. Builder catches you on there after hours unaccompanied by a rep from his company you will go for trespass (yeah yeah even if you own the land)..

So the question is.. How friendly are you with the builder? If he won't put a noggin in he's pissed.. If he's pissed you don't want to piss him off further..

Your best bet is to ask if you can put it in yourself while he is onsite.

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 5d

Write off any insurance with said builder if you enter the site and something is wrong further down the line.

The steel will be fine if not better with the correct fittings to mount the bracket, the load is spread across 4 mounting points therefor increasing the strength of the wall once the bracket is mounted.

• Member For: 21y 20d

Your builder is being a di-k head. The steel studs are not that strong. Yes the studs may hold it but it may not. Yes you would want to reinforce it to be sure, not just she will be right mate. The builder may not want to do it cause they don't want to be responsible should the reinforcement they do cause problems down the track.

It may be easier just to chop out the plasterboard, reinforce then re plasterboard where you have to once you move in.

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 5d

It's a steel framed house...which is holding the roof up....you reckon the studs wouldnt be strong enough (with the bolts spread across 4 mounting points) to hold an Flat screen.... :ermm:

• Member For: 10y 2m 22d

the screws are not going to hold well in that steel, have found that corse thread screws work the best and only tighten till it is firm .or you will strip them (not the screw but the steel stud ) I would fit a board of marine ply to the inside of the studs before the chip rock goes up .I also ran my surround sound speakers thru the roof and down the wall .