Cool Stuff You Just Bought

Ralph Wiggum

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 2d

Damn. Oh well let me know if it's worth it! The only thing I worry about is losing the ability to hear and see the real room around me. Opens you up to some serious pranks.

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 5m 1d

Oculus Rift arrived yesterday and played with some of the demo stuff - bloody unreal.

Did a tour of the solar system, flew around a town, piloted and fought in a huge mech robot, piloted an X-Wing fighter, sat in a movies theater and watched a movie, sat on a couch in the loungeroom and watched TV plus some other "gimmicky things"

Finally got it working with racing sims earlier today (was a basic setup error I was doing that was not letting it work)

Half a lap in the FG Falcon round Bathurst in iRacing was enough for me at the moment - setting it up properly to run was making me motion sick. I hadn't centered the positioning properly and it had me sitting off center and at an angle (keyboard was on the other side of the room and was too keen to get in and go). Instant motion sickness, nausea and sweats.

Will wait til the tummy settles before I give it a good whack later tonight Think I'll try a kart or open wheeler tonight (to take the cockpit/cabin out of the equation). Am tipping it could take a while to aclimatise to the VR and movement.

That said though - bloody hell, it really was like I was driving the car. The gadget is going to be an absolute blast.

• Like 6

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 2d

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFck that sounds awesome. Even the motion sickness.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

First corner at the end of mountain straight - I was pressing very hard on the clutch pedal, wondering why I wasn't slowing down.

The resulting crash into the wall resulted in a fair bit of the queasiness ;)

Found the brake pedal for my next try and it went a hell of a lot better.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 10m 23d

Fck I'm gonna get me one of those and claim to the missus that our daughter will need it for pretty much her whole life when she turn 10 in 5yrs time...

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Screen is 1920*1080 - so 960*1080 for each eye - running @ 75hz

More noticeable than the resolution is the pixel density - the space between the pixels gives it the effect of looking through a screen door (as they call the effect) - sort of like looking through a fly screen or block out curtain.

Depending what I'm looking at it's either really noticeable, or not at all. If the VR sucks you in it's soon forgotten as well. Wouldn't want to read or type a document though. The darker the scene, the less noticeable.

Bear in mind, this is still a development kit - retail should be early next year with even better resolution and refresh rate.

Am coming from a 40" 4k monitor when I put them on and am totally blown away with what I see. It's a whole new world - the potential for this and where it's headed gives me a chubby ;)

• Like 3

• Hench, but no longer shredded or tanned.
  • Member For: 17y 3m 29d

Been given early access to move into the new house, whilst unpacking I took it upon myself to set up the scalelectric in one of the spare rooms.. bought a couple new cars (mclaren and a corvette) because the old F1 cars were well beyond their use by date.

I certainly have my priorities right, I think.

o1i3DL5.jpg

Edit: oh and I found out what this box was for, why have wired nbn in 1 room when you can wire the entire house? I feel a little spoilt.

Sykro2F.jpg

Edited by AzMahoony
  • Like 6