Dealer Appraisal...

03whiteturbo

• Member For: 12y 2m 18d

GDay all,

Just a quick hello to fellow members. I was shell-shocked about something and could not help but raise this topic. 2 days ago I took my beloved Winter White 2003 XR6T to my local Ford dealer for an appraisal. I am in my 40's, have always looked after my cars very, very well. My current daily driver has 150,000 kays and is as straight as you will find. No dents, a really nice example. Interior clean and unmarked. The ford appraisal went like this from the opening.... ' has it been serviced by Ford ? Yes. ' Has the Turbo been re-torqued?' ( The bolts I take it he meant ) ...YES. Off he trots and checks the car over. A phone call made by him to someone off-site ( or pretended to ) and then starts with " the market has changed and these are getting old ". Adds that they will give me 5 or 6k tops. I was stunned. I had already viewed other BA examples on their lot and neither of them were were Turbos. One BA was on the lot for $17,990.00, the second was a BFII and was at $23,990.00 , can't imagine why they would have tried such a low approach. Do they want the car for a song and then laugh at the poor bugger that sells it for same ??? I had to walk away because my blood was boiling at the pure insult delivered. If I still am considering selling, it will have to be private after that experience. Any one else had horror dealer stories ? Mine was with a Ford NSW Central Coast dealer.

• I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 28d

Yeah dealers are f*cked with tradeins,, that's how they make there $$ on used cars though.. My cousin had a s15 specR 3 years old and the dealer offered her 8k.. She sold it for 25k few weeks later

Better to private sell

• Member For: 13y 9m 5d

I knew from the title this was going to be a sad experience. Look at the end of the day all Dealers know that the monies made buying the car, not selling it. It is interesting that they didn't ask about the turbo inline filter screen, as for mine that would be the first question that I'd ask. There is no doubt in my mind that you will make much more privately, as you have a clean straight car and all service records, and that your not a young fellow that doesn't understand the definition of mechanical sympathy. Maybe you should consider posting the car on this site as I'm sure by the sounds of what you are saying, it could be quite a safe acquisition. Cheers

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 5d

That's not far off what there worth though, the dealer might have had to spend 5k to get it roadworthy, for a BA they may only get $14k after trying to sell for 6 months.

that's better than what there sellin for privately, lots going for 8-10k.

And lastly, I'm thinking that was starting point on a deal on another car, they've given themselves room to move. Although any car at a caryard= marked up heapppssssss.

• Member For: 12y 4m 12d

Try trading BMW's. People love looking at them but don't buy. HAd a 1994 V8 version = 3K offered by a dealer on my BF2. The car was really good but the yard buyer tore it to pieces. I got more but it had to be dealer shopped. Jeez, that was an experience but the ford salesman helped.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 5m 15d

Well... Straight up, id suggest selling private, I just sold my BF N/A xr6 for $12,000 straight as a tack (except the usual bumper scuffs underneath), 116,000kms. Your car would be worth that atleast.

I have had a few run ins with dealers. I have almost jumped the desk with some of the crap iv had to put up with. Once at aussie fleet sales, I was stuck in the office for two hours! negotiating a price on one of the cars on the lot. Long story short, I simply hopped up and walked. The next week I bought a new car from kloster ford (the car I just sold) with 60,000kms less than the car at fleet sales and 2 years newer for only $2,000 more.

• Not pregnant
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 17d

When I was looking at buying a T I walked into a Ford Dealer and asked one of the car salesmen if I could test drive the "blue manual BFII XR6 Turbo" that they had advertised on carsales. They asked me if it was a "new or used car". WTF! When I finally found someone who seemed to know what they were talking about, they directed all their answers to my questions to my male friend. Not happy - I was the one with the money.

Unless I want a brand new car, I wont be going back to a dealership. Much prefer private.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 5m 15d

Guess what. Its funny this thread was started a couple of days ago. Because my Aunt bought a new fiesta 2 weeks ago, and with all this rain we have had. Her foot wells have filled with water!

So..... Off to ford she went, hair on fire, bloodshot eyes.... They agreed to fix it (not replace it, so to my understanding she will be left with a rust bucker in 2 years time).

Now the good part. She had to fight for over half an hour to get a loan car since they "needed" the car for a week. No joke, as she left the the dealership they didnt realise her window was open, she heard them yihaa'ing as she drove out. 5 days later (today) she got pulled over by the fuzz, to be told the car she is driving is unregistered (the loan car). The cop looked up on his computer than it was infact registered by the dealership and phoned them. The manager who gave my Aunt the car refused to talk on the phone because he can be fined $550 for loaning the car.

End of story. The woman at the front desk registered the car there and then, and said over the phone to my aunt "wow, you were unlucky to get pulled over on the way to work wernt you". My Aunt replied, "wth? how is that the point here? you should have given me a registered car!"

This was at Kloster ford in Newcastle. Beware of them, I have had a couple of run ins with them myself. Not good... :f*ckyou:

• Member For: 12y 2m 18d

Hi everyone,

I think I am going to hang on to my BA Turbo !!

After my disappointment with that dealer the other day and a couple of others since plus the cost of buying new on finance, I reckon I might save for another 1-2 years and buy outright, no finance on any of it. The BA still has a bit of fun left in her. hehe. My current BA Turbo is an auto. I bought it so that the wife could also drive it easily ( she doesn't drive a manual ). Next time though I think I will buy a 6-speed manual. I have always preferred a manual box, I like the interaction you get driving a manual car !! I like my BA but admit I have always slightly regretted buying the auto.

Just now, the wife has called me on her way back from Tamworth and says the car feels funny?????????? She said it is missing a bit. Oh dear, what has she done......

• Resident idiot.
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 7m 5d

Dealers can be a pain. The commission most dealers get is offered as a % of the final selling price vs cost price and the same on trade ins

So if your car is worth 10 but you accept 8 the salesperson will then see commission on that 2.

Car sales people are the scum of the working world. Can't stand them..

When I looked for my car I got offered a price that was apparently good (before on roads etc) I laughed and showed him the exact car on car sales where it was listed drive away for a few thousand cheaper.

Edited by dre