anyone here have their car tuned for E85? I ran it in my skyline a few years back... awesome stuff... think its about 134/L now from some Caltex servos... I picked up 20rwkw just converting & tuning to suit. And despite all the rediculous rumors regarding its corrosive tendencies toward components etc... my car never had any issues in 15000km what so ever.

It's getting pretty common mate, a few people are running the bio flex with good results.

And some people are running around with drums of sucrogen in their boot.

You can gain 20kw with the little turbo on FGs, and get closer to 450 out of the Gt3582r, so a 40-50kw gain.

I think the quality of the E85 is the issue..

Ive heard that E85 starts to go off after a week? Meaning your running less octane than you think you are = less power?

You would have your car tuned to a fresh batch of E85, pull 400kw - go to caltex fill up on 2 week old e85 run 370rwkw? Is that a fair assumption?

Maybe someone can clear it up? Liquid gas could be the other alternative?

I think the quality of the E85 is the issue..

Ive heard that E85 starts to go off after a week? Meaning your running less octane than you think you are = less power?

You would have your car tuned to a fresh batch of E85, pull 400kw - go to caltex fill up on 2 week old e85 run 370rwkw? Is that a fair assumption?

Maybe someone can clear it up? Liquid gas could be the other alternative?

Dude I feel you are pretty ill informed about E85.

If E85 if sealed (in a servo's tank or a sealed plastic drum) it will last for years!

If the fuel is exposed to ther atmosphere it will slowly draw mositure and over time dilute but your talking months not a week!

Yes I do agree somewhat as to the qaulity of the fuel but we are only talking 10 points max I.e E85 to E75, plus E85 is always a bit weeker over the winter months to assist cold starts!

E85 would be a much cheaper set up wise alternative to LNG as you would only need larger injectors and upgraded fuel system to cope with the addtional 28 - 30% volume required to equal the energy content of 98 petrol!

my 2 cents anyway.

N.b my car gets an E85 tune this weds can't wait!

Edited by Vevapower

Dude I feel you are pretty ill informed about E85.

If E85 if sealed (in a servo's tank or a sealed plastic drum) it will last for years!

If the fuel is exposed to ther atmosphere it will slowly draw mositure and over time dilute but your talking months not a week!

Yes I do agree somewhat as to the qaulity of the fuel but we are only talking 10 points max I.e E85 to E75, plus E85 is always a bit weeker over the winter months to assist cold starts!

E85 would be a much cheaper set up wise alternative to LNG as you would only need larger injectors and upgraded fuel system to cope with the addtional 28 - 30% volume required to equal the energy content of 98 petrol!

my 2 cents anyway.

N.b my car gets an E85 tune this weds can't wait!

hey mate...where you getting the tune from?

2 shops are going to have a crack mate. Pm me if u want names.

"Dyno figures make for good conversation, mph at the strip proves it without reservation"

So E85 has the same tendencys as methanol? I use methanol for drag cars and we only by it in small batches 20L drum to try to keep it fresh because the moisture factor

was curious as to who you guys are getting to tune for E85... my skyline was done @ JEM in ingleburn... they seem to be biased towards the stuff... didnt do a bad job.

Edited by SipposBFT

I havnt tried sucrogen, but ive been buying the cheetah race fuels version, I always check on the dyno to make sure everything is where it should be.

Using mainly Caltex Eflex or United!

4 Caltex sites with E85 within 20 mins of my house is real handy!

Using mainly Caltex Eflex or United!

4 Caltex sites with E85 within 20 mins of my house is real handy!

yes... one about 10min from my joint as well... I emailed Caltex asking about their pricing on E85... they quoted that on average its around 30c/L cheaper than Vortex... considering the quality of Vortex...I think that's great value.... even considering E85 consumption is slightly higher.

Edited by SipposBFT

mines been running e85 for a while now. get the eflex stuff in jerrys and take it home think its e70-85 and can run 760hp on the street through the t400 on 27psi. way easier to get and cheaper than c16 or methanol

Just a heads up fellas, Not to burst a bubble or anything. Im just making sure everyone knows before they go the E85 way. Our company run a fleet of Vehicles and we Chose to run the ethanol mixed fuel in them all to save the dollar. they are around the 50000 klm mark on the odometer and are having stem seal problems along with other Head related issues, that was diagnosed to be from the Ethanol fuel.

Ethanol may be great but it is a bi product and what comes cheep most usually is not the best thing in the long run as Facts told us. I just hope that this can help those that wish to keep there engine for the Long haul.

Hey just my two cents but most of us here in Adelaide run 50/50 mix of e85 with BP 98 or united 100. Works well with good results achieved and due to the fast burning rate of the e85 when mixed with 98 the fuel consumtion is therefore stretched. Things like fuel injectors and fuel pumps don't have to run to there maximum either. Other problems relating to stem seal probe etc would be reduced also. Just something to think about. Cheers

Can you clarify what you mean by valve stem seals problem and other head related issues. What vehicles has it affected. I cant see this being a major problem to get around if it is eating up the valve stem seals. It just means they have to start making them in a better material.

Its got nothing to do with ethanol being an inferior fuel. I'd like to use it in WA but am not gonna be a -anker and pay over $2 a litre for it over here and drive home to fill out of drum. Got better things to do.

Just a heads up fellas, Not to burst a bubble or anything. Im just making sure everyone knows before they go the E85 way. Our company run a fleet of Vehicles and we Chose to run the ethanol mixed fuel in them all to save the dollar. they are around the 50000 klm mark on the odometer and are having stem seal problems along with other Head related issues, that was diagnosed to be from the Ethanol fuel.

Ethanol may be great but it is a bi product and what comes cheep most usually is not the best thing in the long run as Facts told us. I just hope that this can help those that wish to keep there engine for the Long haul.

Can you not just add an additive to the fuel to help with lubrication?

Has anyone got an E85 tune on a bone stock or close to (K&N etc) FG Falcon yet??

Would love to hear the before and after results....

Mine is tuned on United pump E85 makes 546rwkw on 23psi Nizpro tuned . I must say that the fuel consumption with the power its running is impresive drove it to Gipsland from Chelsea got 400 km to a tank. The best part $1.12 a liter. 850 hp drive around like its bone stock not many cars can do that.